CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:04 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: coverin other dogs.
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:15 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

i' got this female walker not to sure how old she is but the other night when we took her out she opened up and treed but then our male walker dog haze opened and treeed over on the other side of the mountain well she ran off and covered him ( went to tree with him ) well we tried to find the tree she was treed on and we couldn't see any coon but when we got to haze it was a den tree and she was just a choppin a way .it's ok that she covered him that night but what i wanna ask is if she has a coon treed with meat a hangin and haze tree's with meat a hangin how could i keep her at the tree that she is in until i get there? check it then go to haze cause some times they split up not much but some times any advise.

SMOKIN HOT CHLOIE

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject: Re: coverin other dogs.
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:54 am 
IP:
Too hard to tell what was going on from just one instance. I would wait to see if a pattern of leaving the tree to be with another dog shows up before I get to worried about her pulling to other dogs. Could any number of things.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:57 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

what you may want to try to help zero in on the problem would be this... turn the bitch loose by herself and let her get treed. you go into her and tie her back. have a friend waiting with the other dog at the truck. have him turn that dog loose to find his own coon once you have the bitch tied.

if he were to come in and cover her... id send him on his own way... do this atleast once a night for a while and see if it helps any.

OAKS POINT KENNELS
JOE CULLER

HOME OF:
GRNITECH CH 'PR' OAKS POINT COON BUSTIN' BELLE
'PR' OAKS POINT STRIKE-EM OUT BEAU

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:56 pm 
IP:
Exactly how are you going to "send him on his way"? Beat him off a tree? Thats what you'd have to do to any of my dogs. I wouldn't want to teach any dog to leave any tree, thats got something in it. I'd really think about this before I tried it.

It could be that she wasn't sure about her tree. I am with LCK, if its not a pattern I wouldn't worry about it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:17 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

coonscry wrote:
Exactly how are you going to "send him on his way"? Beat him off a tree? Thats what you'd have to do to any of my dogs. I wouldn't want to teach any dog to leave any tree, thats got something in it. I'd really think about this before I tried it.

It could be that she wasn't sure about her tree. I am with LCK, if its not a pattern I wouldn't worry about it.

Yup, with the light out! If the dog isn't confident enough to hold it's own coon, then why hunt it with another dog? The last thing I want in a hunt is my dog to tree a coon and leave to go cover some slick treeing dog or possum eater 10 minutes later! THAT IS NOT A COONDOG!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:20 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

There won't be any pattern forming if you do it like I explained above... it's all about TRAINING the dog and the dog will be confident in its tree if it is young and tied there while another is out working... you've gotta make them comfortable in the situations around them!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:38 pm 
IP:
I'm not asking about the dog doing the treeing. I'm asking about the dog you are going to make leave the tree. The one you want to send on his way. Maybe you could explain how this is done. I'm not going to ruin one dog to try to train another. I'm not sure I want my dogs ever leaving a tree. Even if another dog tree'd the critter.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:54 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

coonscry wrote:
I'm not asking about the dog doing the treeing. I'm asking about the dog you are going to make leave the tree. The one you want to send on his way. Maybe you could explain how this is done. I'm not going to ruin one dog to try to train another. I'm not sure I want my dogs ever leaving a tree. Even if another dog tree'd the critter.

Turn dog A loose. Let him get treed. Go into dog A and tie at the tree. Holler for buddy still at truck with dog B to turn him loose. Wait with dog A at tree with a nice switch with the light off. When or if dog B comes into cover, keep the light off and give him a nice solid whoopin AS SOON AS HE GETS WITHIN 15 YARDS OF THAT TREE!

I really do not know anyone that would be proud of a dog that covers a dog that has been treeing for 10-15 minutes... and that's exactly how long it takes for the whole scenario to happen.

You train your dogs how you like, but I particularly DO NOT want my dog covering bc in the hunts more bad happens than good from a covering dog!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:54 pm 
IP:
Yeah thats what I would do, use a switch on a dog thats doing what its bred to do. :roll: :roll: :roll: LOL So what happens when your dog is on a track and another dog is driving the track faster and tree's first? Does your dog leave the tree because theres another dog there? How does the dog know how long the other dog was tree'd if it was just turned loose? Do your dogs have stop watches? What amount of time IS acceptable? 5 minutes? 1 minute? 8 minutes? How long should the other dog be tree'd before your dogs decide to find another coon?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:33 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

This is why you got to single a dog out and hunt them hard . If you are using another dog to try to train this is what you will get. I say hunt her alone before you try wooping her for covering another dog. If you hunt a dog alone and they are doing it by themselves they are more likely to stay. The people who have good dogs put in the time. You cannot make a world champ over night. Do not think I am putting you down in any way you just have to work her harder alone. I had a dog I took from scratch without no shock collar tracking collar or another dog that turned out good enough anyone would feed him. When he was finished and I hunted him with other dogs 90% of the time he would split tree. Maybe I got lucky or maybe my time and work with him paid off. I could be wrong here and not know what I am talking about but it has worked for me.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:57 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

edited by ................TC

Last edited by toe cutter on Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:45 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

coonscry wrote:
Yeah thats what I would do, use a switch on a dog thats doing what its bred to do. :roll: :roll: :roll: LOL So what happens when your dog is on a track and another dog is driving the track faster and tree's first? Does your dog leave the tree because theres another dog there? How does the dog know how long the other dog was tree'd if it was just turned loose? Do your dogs have stop watches? What amount of time IS acceptable? 5 minutes? 1 minute? 8 minutes? How long should the other dog be tree'd before your dogs decide to find another coon?

Sorry I don't train my dogs to be Me-Tooing idiots. I train them to go find their OWN track and OWN coon and if there's a me-tooing idiot hitchhiking for the ride... they better beat them to the tree and they KNOW that! :roll: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:22 pm 
IP:
So I guess you have the fastest dogs in the world, huh? LOL. I think a dog being able to "hold pressure" comes with confidence. Not from beatings.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:40 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

walkersbeauandbelle wrote:
what you may want to try to help zero in on the problem would be this... turn the bitch loose by herself and let her get treed. you go into her and tie her back. have a friend waiting with the other dog at the truck. have him turn that dog loose to find his own coon once you have the bitch tied.

if he were to come in and cover her... id send him on his own way... do this atleast once a night for a while and see if it helps any.

read and reread... i think i took care of the problem with the bitch not holding pressure by tieing it there and letting the other dog roam free on his own??????? :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:55 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Like LCK said if not a pattern it's not a problem. But you also said your not sure how old this hound is. But only way i see to bring her independance out and improve her confidence in treeing and staying treed is to single her out and hunt her by herself. I'd try to hunt her by herself for a good while over a long period of time until she really doing good and having the meat. Then after hunting her for several months alone throw her in with a hound here and there just to see if she improves on holding pressure of another dog. Made a world of difference in mine, he will split tree about 85-90% of the time now and have the meat. But he is usually solo and might get hunted with another hound 1-2 times per month.

'PR' TERMITE'S ROWDY
'PR' JOLLIE'S BUCK BRUSH AUGGIE