CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:20 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: deer breaking
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:27 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

When a pup is colse to being started and you want to break them off deer before they ever might start trashing on them, would this be the right thing to do= your driving with your dog and you spot some deer on the other side of a field, you put the shock collar on the dog and walk him over to where the deer are, by now the deer have already made a run for it, you walk the dog over to exactly where the deer were standing, you let him sniff the scent and when he does or tries to follow it, you give him a tickle with the tri-tronics. Would a tickle be enough or should you give em more? Also, would this method aslo work for coyote? let me know what you think of this idea. Thanks

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 12:36 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

when i broke my dog, i found a small field where i know deer were and it was right after it rained..i put the collar on him and boosted it up it was on about 7 i believe and dumped him out the truck..the first time he opened on a deer i let him have it and he came back to the truck and has never ran another deer.

bawlin choppin treein..that is a walker for you

Boomer

Post subject: I
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:05 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

I wouldnt. I like a hound to be running and treeing good before I start breaking them off any trash. Ron Taylor,( owner of bingos norther blue dancer, which has won every where). has been very succesful and allways has a topdawg. He also says this is one of the biggest mistakes you can make. Most will break theirselves off deer if they have any sence.

Post subject: thanks
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 6:45 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Thanks thats really good advice, but is it ok to try that method that i posted above once a dog starts trashing on deer or coyote? Would you start breaking one of your dogs off trash if you were hunting your dog with other dogs who were trashing. Or should you just only break your dogs off trash if they run trash while being hunted by themselves? Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:33 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

btt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:37 am 
IP:
I guess there are different opinions on this. I have always tried to expose the pups to off game as early and as soon as possible. Seems like they straighten out quicker and longer than the other way around for me. After some exposure to off game I then like to get em in the woods on coon or whatever the desired game animal is. You still have to do some breaking but it seems to come easier if they have had an early exposure to being corrected early on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:32 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Well it seems that i dont know what to do because tom jones and lcks advice kind of counter eachother . What advice should i take?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 6:24 pm 
IP:
alex i have hunted with tom jones a few times, he really knows about dogs. i would trust him to hunt and train any of my dogs. lck sounds like he knows dogs to, just remember what works for one dog may not work for the other.

Post subject: ?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 6:53 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Ya that is true, both are really good advice but lcks advice seems easier, and tom jones seems just as easy. tom jones, did that man say why that is a big mistake to break a pup off deer and other stuff before the pup even trashes on them on the first place?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:29 pm 
IP:
alex if you think about it. if you shoot out a coon that the dog trees and he gets it. and dont get nothing for running deer it shouldnt take him long to figure it out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:27 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Yea, thats true.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:30 pm 
IP:
Either method works fine. There are several very good ways to get the end result. It just helps to have differing points of view. No problem doing it either way. But one way or the other it should be done.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:38 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Ya thatd work becaus my pup already knows basically what a coon smells like. Oh by the way do coons and housecats smell similar?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:56 pm 
IP:
I do not think coons and cats smell anything alike.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:05 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Do you think that trying to make my pup not go after my sisters two house cats, but to just ignore them, would discourage him from going after coons?