CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:47 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Western NY Hunters
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:20 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Looking for advice on training a new pup, Just picked up a 12 week old redtick and already have him, wrestling around with a coonskin I trapped and tanned last year. is 12 weeks old enough to start training and if so what other methods can I use along with laying scent drags and allowing him to follow

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject: Re: Western NY Hunters
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:30 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

that is a little young IMO to start anything more than what you are doing, just get him out in the woods as often as possible, let him get used to the feel and smells, water, and getting coordination. I have a Redbone pup I am working on, 9 months old now, he has the coon drag down pat, too easy for im now, tried a live coon I caught in a box trap and he is intimitadated by a live animal, I think he still needs to mature more... I have had plenty of dogs that don't turn on till a year and a half, some never.... good luck with him and be patient, the most important thing... and let him know when he does good, he will understand in time what is expected of him and want to please his master... I am in Canandaigua, give a shout back if you are close enough to hook up sometime and go out... Trent

Post subject: Re: Western NY Hunters
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:35 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I still have him running around chasing and chewing on a coonskin, I have had him out in corn fields and woods several times over the last month and he is beginning to range more and more. he is not sure about loud noises yet and as such I am introducing him slowly to get him ready to hear a gun shot. he is now 16 weeks, and weighing 33 lbs but is quick as a rabbit and I am looking forward to getting him after some coon and being able to bring my boys along. thanks for the advice