CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: first time trapper
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:10 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

im going to get into trapping and was wondering what type of traps i would need for things like coon, coyote, muskrat and other small animals and what bait and any info on how to set up would be great i plan on using a big creek that runs through my grandpas property and where is a good class to take to get my trapping license near salem,IL

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject: Re: first time trapper
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:51 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I dont know about the class thing But. If you want lots of good trapping info www.trapperman.com has alot. For coons get some 1 1/2 Coil springs and use a pocket set in that creek Bait it with some chubs or fish of some kind. Good luck Read everything you can

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:21 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

There's a book called "Trapping North American Furbearers" by S. Stanley Hawbaker. It was written by a local Pennsylvania man, many years ago but it is very informative. When my son wanted to start trapping I bought the book and read it. Some of the methods are very out-dated but I have tried some of the old ways and found them to work very well on red fox,grey fox and coon. Particularly when they get to educated on some of the modern method. Good Luck to you!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:12 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Catching coon in traps is easier than eating cereal. When you make that set make the set for a muskrat or mink and almost guarenteed you will have a coon. Now if you make an actual coon set, you might not catch him....lol....thats how it works for me.......ha ha, have fun an enjoy the outdoors. But seriously ask around, grab a subscription to fur fish and game..great info in their. Alot of books from pro's on the subjects.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:35 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

thanks for your help what are some easy basic sets?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:13 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

www.trapperman.com has a ton of good info! Im OHcoonskinner on there. As for traps for coon,mink, and muskrat I like a 1 1/2 coilspring staked into deep water. For coon I use a pocket set baited with some type of fishy smelling bait, this set will also take mink. For mink a pocket set baited with part of a muskrat carcass. For muskrats I like to set slides with #1 jumps or longsprings and 110s in runs and den entrances. For coyotes you will need larger better built traps like MB-550s or MB-650s, do NOT use a single rebar stake for coyotes, they like to jump and pump out the stake. If you use rebar cross-stake for coyotes.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:04 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

well i finally found a trapping course

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:19 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Congrats, welcome to the first step of trapping. Edujucating yourself. As funny as that sounds you will only catch animals once you know alot about them. Well doing the course read into habitats and food preference . When you go out to set think about your options. For coon look around if your setting near water where it's dried up use crawfish or clams instead of fish baits . Think about what your doing and the number one thing to remeber when trapping is, it's only fun till you get wet. Try to stay dry. Where I live it's -22 degrees cellcius out. 9/5+32= about-8 degree Fahrenheit , blah missed able day to be wet

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:01 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I like to take my dogs with me so i use dog proof traps with cat food and fish oil. Put cat food in a milk jug and pour in fish oil and shake til the cat food has a glaze on it. Then make sets right on sign or any trail they love cat food

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire