CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: starting a kennel
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:16 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

me and a buddy are looking in to getting a kennel started it will conatin black an tans and walkers but whats the best advice you guys could give us on this we have space and the time and i know it requires a good dog to start with we have that and what else does it take to start breeding wise

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject: Re: starting a kennel
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:02 pm 
IP:
Make sure you got a really good bred male dog a GRNITE and at least 5 good bred brood females!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:48 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

do not use brood females. get the best females that you can buy that are real dogs. nobody wants a pup from a female that is just there to have pups and is not a real dog. the female plays just as big a part in what kind of pups you produce. titles on a dog does not mean it can reproduce a top balanced dog. do your home work. bloodlines and desired traits will produce better pups then any title will.once you get a well balanced line of dogs,linebreed back into it to keep the desired traits. there are stud dog owners and there are breeders.a stud dog owner will breed his stud to any one that will pay the stud fee. there two kinds of breeders,the ones that breed to what ever is the hottest stud dog going to sell pups that may or may not make it. and the breeder that does his homework to find out what the sire and dams traits are to make a cross that produces real nice balanced coondogs..most all true coonhunters would rather have a pup out of ol joe that reproduces a real coondog, over a pup with all grand papers that cannot tree a coon..slap happy breeding to sell pups out of high titled stud dogs is why there are so many worthless coondogs being produced and why alot of kennels dont survive more then a few years.if you do not produce pups that make real dogs, you will not survive.the red eagle / finley river bred dogs have been around for over 30 years. my old dog has no titles,but because of his linebred traits and the females i breed to him, my pups are booked before the gyps are even bred.the first thing you need to do is decide which type of breeder you want to be.your kennel will survive much longer producing 2 litters of real coondogs a year then 10 litters of duds...................TC

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:31 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Nail on head TC,I'm with you on the balance between males and females just cause one side is so great does not make a complete coonhound.Sounds like TC been at this hound thing for a minute.....LOL

Heath Ferguson
706-568-4658
706-527-7886

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:36 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I have a good solid female and a gyp pup that is truning into a good dolid dog my female is yadkin tar rattler bred and she is triple sackett bred and im trying to keep to the sackett side on my walker dogs mainly becasue all trhe sackett dogs i have had had worked out for me but she is a go get them tree dog she has a huge mouth and wieghs 75 pounds shes accurate i had her in one hunt but because i was inexperiecned they took advantage of me didn't give me time to search the tree cause they said she treed to quick and that it was slick when we were walking away we seen the coon and they said my time was already up so i told the guy what i thought of him took my dog and left but my pup is going great runnin and treeing on her own but i wouldn't call her finished because she isn't but shes closed both are sackett bred were breeding my female to a sacket bred male that is a solid paperd country coondog and i will mostlikly give away a few pups to see what everyone thinks

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:48 pm 
IP:
Sounds like TC has done his homework

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:27 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

You Not only need good dogs but, you need to plan your litter...

Talk to your vet -make sure your male and female are in good health

Plan your litter when will the pups be for sale? Is that a good time of year to raise your first litter of pups ? Will it be warm enough? To hot?

Get your vet supplies:

Forcebs- towels -blood stop-Whelping box/kit- milk aide ( just in case she won't take on all the pups) - puppy chow- maybe a heat lamp- puppy pans- dog asprin ( just in case ) --just to name a few

I find it helpfull to have everything I need before the pups arrive that way your not trying to run out and get supplies right after she has them- some people find it helpfull to read whelping info. books ,video ect. that way in case something might happen you will know what to do and how to clean the pups up and get your bitch dog fixed up after havin the litter The info from books and so fourth are related to the genetic's of dogs that might make you completly change your mind on what you was going to bred her to first.

PR'PB N J's Dewberry Daisy and PR'PB N J's Blueberry Betsy
Member of SBA and BBOA .22 DRAGGIN -HOUND DOGS TREEIN -COON SEEIN CRAZY Take a kid hunting with a hound dog

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:26 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Oklahoma Cooner wrote:
Make sure you got a really good bred male dog a GRNITE and at least 5 good bred brood females!

Good Males are easy to find they are all over the country I personly haven't bred any of my females because they were not the top notch dog I was looking for they will tree coon just fine but they don't just blow me away like the couple males I got. Just remember they sell pups every day of the week you may have to go through 20 before you get that 1 that you want to breed and base your kennel off of. Just keep hunting and worry about breeding later. But every one has a different Idea of how they want to start their kennel I'm just going to keep weighting untill I get that female or see how my 2 young prospects turn out i'm going to weight untill I start breeding

Nitch'Pr' Deepwoods Cye Boy
Grnitch'Pr' Like NO Dawn J
Grnitch'Pr' Maves' Nightmare Ms. Monster
GrCh Grnitch'Pr' Rebel's War Cry
'Pr' M&S' Screamin Loose Cannon