It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:50 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:06 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

yea techno, i thought thats what it was ...............TC

Last edited by toe cutter on Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject: going back to same tree
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:08 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

thanks for all the opinions to try guys i will be giving some of these a try and thanks again and if anyone else has anything else i will be watching .

Post subject: dog going back to a tree
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:39 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I have an english red-tick that I can't seem to keep from going back to his last tree. If I walk him several hundred yards away, he will go on to something different, but otherwise, he will be right back at the same tree. How do I break this? I have tried whipping him and running him with another dog that will move on and I have had no luck. Please help, I like the dog, but can't stand him going back to the same tree.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:38 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

LKTTU wrote:
I have an english red-tick that I can't seem to keep from going back to his last tree. If I walk him several hundred yards away, he will go on to something different, but otherwise, he will be right back at the same tree. How do I break this? I have tried whipping him and running him with another dog that will move on and I have had no luck. Please help, I like the dog, but can't stand him going back to the same tree.

insted of walking him off and then cutting him,stand at the tree and send him,dont let him back up to that tree.

Last edited by toe cutter on Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:59 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Thank you for your reply.

Whoever moved my post to this thread... THANKS!!

Sometimes I get so fed up with the dogs, I just don't know what to do! I forget all those times the next time I let him out and hear him strike run a trail and tree. What a great sport/hobby/obsession this is!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:06 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I used to be afraid to "correct" a dog for returning to a tree after I led them off. But after reading John Wicks's comments on the issue, I re-thought that thing. If you have a "weak" tree dog, you maybe should not administer any corrections at a tree. But if you have a very tree minded dog, which is probable if he's returning to trees, then I would start by scolding him for returning to the tree and gradually increase the degree of correction until the dog gets the idea. I WOULD NOT change to different woods, that is giving up or losing an excellent opportunity for training. I have had a dog go back to the same tree as many as 4 times in one night,but he finally "got" it and that problem was cured. It did not adversly affect his treeing on any future trees. I prefer to use a switch instead of e-collar for this issue.

Post subject: A little advice?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:06 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I was hoping someone could help me out. I have a 7 year old walker who is a pretty darn goon coon hound ive had him for about a year and have had much success with. Latly this season he has developt this bad habbit of wanting to return to the previous tree. Mainly this happens if the coon has jumped and we dont see it but once he did it after we shot it down, he has done this 3 night this season but not constantly. sometime i have walked him up to 150 yards and he went back and other nights i can walk about 50 yards and he'll head a different way like he is suppose to. Is there any decent reason why this happens sometimes? Anybody have any tips on how to maybe break him of this?

Post subject: Re: A little advice?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:30 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

he knows where the easy one is any wants to be lazy sometimes have someone wait at the tree you left from and whamo with a switch from the tree he was at a good switching has broke quite a few just enough to make it sting good do not get psycho

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:07 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

As i try to answer this i hope coondawg will not clear this i have tried before and my post never make it! Remember one thing first you cant whip hunt into a dog but you can whip hunt out of a dog . As we have problems with this in the past it is normally broke by switching dog once it returns . The main thing is for YOU to let the dog know what a great it done the first time (dont over do) then let it know you dont approve of it returning. Rome wasnt built in a day dont give up .God's speed

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire