CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:49 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Keeping dog on the tree
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:29 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

My walker pup is 16nths, she is running and treeing with or without company. Everytime we walk into her she comes off the tree, or when she is with other dogs, she will tree then run around, then tree. How do I make her stay on the tree? Most of the time when I tell her to get back on the tree she goes, but would like her to stay there.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:49 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

How far does she come off??? Chaining every dog at the tree helps make them stay.BUT you want to chain them so they cant face bark or get tangled up..Knocking out coon and not letting them touch it .Can make a dog tree harder and stay put..Shes still young and should be better with a little work..

Nite Ch Nite Time Cheat
Nite Ch Goose Creek Little Tina (1 w GN)
Ch Wild Rivers Indiana ShowQueen
Wild Rivers Machine Gun Kelly
Wild Rivers Stylish Showgirl (Tide X Queen)
English
Gr Ch Nite Ch 'pr' Twin CK Lady
Wild Rivers Main Street Hooker
Black n Tan
Nite Ch 'pr' Black River Boy (3 w to Grand)
Ch Wild Rivers Whole Lotta Rosie
Wild Rivers Black Pearl

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:55 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

She will come off usually when we get about 15-20 ft. from her. Last night the other dog treed, and she treed for about 5 min, then took off trying to run another track. I shocked her and made her come back to the tree because ther was a coon in that tree. I chained her back, and she started treeing. We took the other dog off the tree, and my boyfriend started back to truck. I stayed and made my pup tree until I was ready to take her off. Did I do the right thing in this situation?

Another thing, if you chain her back, she tends to look at me and not the tree and bark.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:46 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I also have a similar problem with a young dog that is 19 months old, has been kinda lazy on the getting gone huntin part and, still is to some degree. He knows what a coon is and can tree his own coon and has on several occasions but, he seems to be lacking confidence or something. I've noticed on low coons he winds alot but, others he will tree and get back down and hunt come back to the tree and bump up and back down never leaving the area but, seems like he isn't sure of himself or something. He has treed coons ahead of the older dogs and with them but, only for a short time. We took him out by himself the other night, first strike was roughly 100 yards from where I cut him loose, ran the track for a short distance and treed, then we could hear him back down, we gave him plenty of time to check himself. He started breakin over fair when we went in and back down again. He showed us the tree but, wasn't treeing. He had the meat so we knocked it out to him to show him he had it. Teased him a little and went on. Second drop nearly the same situation except this time he never really treed at all, he was barking up at times like he was winding, we let him run around in circles for about 30 minutes hoping he would put it all together but, he never did. We walked down towards him, he was just standing there looking at us. We checked the trees he was standing near and found nothing. We decided to leave, I didn't leash him and walked off calling him to come on, he didn't come. When I looked back I saw the coons about 20 feet from where we were looking before (they were kinda low) I told my buddy there were the coons and he looked and said Jack was sitting beside the tree they were in so I walked down there and tried to pep him up on the tree with no success. I know it is a long story but, I'm looking for some help Please. Thanks

'PR' SALINE SWAMP ANNABELL
SALINE SWAMP JAG
http://salineswampenglish.webs.com/
(318)576-3078

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:17 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Country girl, Every dog is different what you done might work it might not.We as trainers just have to figure out what with help the dog we are working with..Coming off the tree 15 feet or so to meet you is not that bad.If you have a shocker .Give her a light shock as she meets you.She should learn not to come to you..............................Thad, Many dogs just dont get it .You should not knock any coon out to a dog.Unless they stay at the tree and do a good job.Knocking out coon anyother time with out them doing the work to get it.Will confuse the dog and can really mess them up.All dogs will act dumb from time to time.Many young and old dogs can have a hard time winding a coon and treeing them..I had a Bluetick that would just sit down in the woods and start treeing.Not even close to a tree.Id look up wind and there would be a coon sitting out.

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:42 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Last night (for fun) I entered her in our PKC hunt. I wanted to see if she would go and hunt with different dogs she did not know. ( she has hunted with the same two dogs her whole life). Also, it was a learning experience to me. I have only been hunting now for 2 1/2 years. Took her, she was first strike every turn out. Either first or second tree everytime!! But when you have to wait 5 min. before you walk to the tree, she would come off. She would not tree for that long, she would run the track back a little ways and then come back to the tree. Almost as if she was not sure of herself. Come on guys anyone have any suggestions on what I can do? Surelly someone has had to deal with this issue.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:16 am 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

i had a male pup that was only a year old that would do the same exact thing!! he would come off and when i told him to go back he would!! It just took some time and we would shoot the coon out to him and after a while he just started staying cause he knew something was up the tree and if he stayed there he would get it!! it also helps to tie him off when you do get at the tree so he can't leave! i hope i helped you out

Ive hunted almost everyday of my life, the rest have been wasted!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:05 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Well, last night I tried switching her back to the tree, being firm. This was unsucessful. I had a lot of fellow hunters tell me to do this. Not working for my dog. So I think I am going to try something a little different. I know when she was younger, she would not stay with the dogs, so everyone was telling me "when she comes back put her in the box" this did nothing. She got to where if she came back she would automatically load up in to the box. So if she came back to me (where ever I was) she would get tied up there. When the dogs treed she would get left. She HATED that!!. It tore her up inside. A couple times of that and she stays every step of the way with the dogs now! I think I am going to try this now. When she comes off the tree to me (apporx. 10 yds) I will tie her up and leave her. Go to the dog(s) treeing and mess and praise them. I will keep ya'll posted on progress, since it seems as though a lot of people have this problem and can't seem to find help. I appriciate those that have replied though. I think my female is a little to smart for her own good, LOL!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:25 am 
IP:
What you have decided to do has worked the best for me over the years. The line of dogs I follow are not real tree minded dogs and are loose at the tree at first. Once they do start treeing a little and figuring out that game does climb I tie em off about 25 yards from the tree and leave em while I go into the treeing dogs and really have a party. I then recast the dogs and send the tied off dog to em once they strike. I repeat this little session about three times. Then I go back to the dog and bring him to the tree on lead and start tying them off where they can see the party but not participate a few times. You can usually tell when they REALLY want to be on the tree by then. I then put them on the tree with the leash still on em and if they try to come off I can keep em pulled into the tree and pet em up etc. It is about the best way I have found so far and usually does not take too long before they start sticking the tree for as long as it takes. I alway's pull them off wanting more as well. Let us know how it works for you. Sometimes they get smart and can be a little hard to catch once they have been tied up away from the party but this just means it is working. Good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:41 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

I had a problem with my B&tan female leaving the tree i got some advice and i would chain her near the tree evry time and sort of tease her now shes a stay put dog!! :D

Pr"Houstons Outlaw Ringo"

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 10:17 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

country girl i am not no expert by no means but i have heard people talk about chaining a coon let it run up the tree and pull it back down so it will drive the dog crazy most people dont have the nerve to try to do that with a coon but some of the older people says that is the best way to work with a dog. get a pipe and a cable make a loop get the coon out. someone put welding gloves on and grab the coon put a collar on the coon and lease it. sounds crazy i no. do a drag through a field to a tree. where you will do all this chaining of the coon let the coon go up the tree let your do loose let her track it when see gets to the go to her and it she comes off talk her back to the tree try to get her back treeing if she want pull the coon down the down alittle make sure she can see it. i will drive her crazy hopefully work with her for while start with 10 min then you might have to repeat make it longer every time. after you have done this two of three times take a drag or a live coon dont let her see the coon in a cage let it go let her track i and see how she does alot of dogs dont have patience or endurance to stay at the tree barking that lone it is something they have to want to do and make sure you give her a prize it she starts doing bette. be carefull dont want her become a see dog neither make sure she is smelling the tree as she is treeing and the ground make she is not just trying to look up a see it make sure she is useing her nose. hope it helps

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 7:18 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I THINK LCK'S IDEA IS PRETTY GOOD I WOULD TRY IT.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 3:54 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I am having the same problem with my 19mth old male but he is a stay put treedog if other dogs are present. By himself you better be to the tree within 15 minutes or it is a lost tree. Everyone tells me to shoot some out but it is kitten coon time in the mtns and I hate to do that is there any other alternative with my hound hunting him solo?

http://roanmtnhound.webs.com/

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 6:04 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Your dog is still young,my sons male would do the same thing when he was that age.Just keep her in the woods,tie her up when she trees get her excited when she trees and praise her and also knock one out to her every now and then and let her see it but dont let her have it untill she starts doing what you want her to do.My sons male did everything you explained your female is doing at that age now he is probly the best tree dog that i have ever had .Also LCK was really helpfull with our dog .

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 7:08 am 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

[.Many young and old dogs can have a hard time winding a coon and treeing them..I had a Bluetick that would just sit down in the woods and start treeing.Not even close to a tree.Id look up wind and there would be a coon sitting out.[/quote]

This is exactly what a air scent dog does. They get to were ever the the scent is the strongest and do there indecation. Weather it is dope cadaver or coon that is all they can do. They get you were the scent is the strongest and it is up to you to figure out were the scent is comming from. That is why it is so important to get a dog to track FIRST. If they learn to air scent first it is really hard to get them to use the track to locate.