CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:31 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:20 am 
IP:
Alex Schaefer wrote:
Do you think that trying to make my pup not go after my sisters two house cats, but to just ignore them, would discourage him from going after coons?

Won't hurt him a bit. You gotta break em off of evrything you do not aprove of. It takes time and some just prefer cats. The very best coon dog I own prefers cats over coon. That is how I got her. The previous owner could not break her from bobcats. I love running bobcats so I am more than happy to accept this "fault" in her but some folks can't stand for it.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject: Alex
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:54 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

your method is what I use. I make sure its deer and zap'em. I dont wait until they open just smell the ground where I KNOW a deer has been aand BAAAM !!!. showing a young dog 2-3 coon dont mean he knows what you want him to run. now, SOME CAN ONLY BE BROKE BY A .22..........PERIOD. THEY ARE ALL DIFF. i JUST LIKE A YOUNG HOUND TO RUN SOMETHING. i LIKE A ACTION PACKED GET IN THE COUNTRY GET TREED TYPE OF DOG. I start pups alone, not just break them off the pup trainer, but start alone. I have a 5 mnth old pup right now how has been out less then 8 times by hisself and treed 4 coons and has ran every thing in the woods, deer included. When he ran the deer, he ran it RIGHT. If a hound just starting runs a deer a few hundred yrds. I promise, 1-2 times with MR. T (tri-tronics) and they'll be done.

Post subject: tom jones
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 7:05 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

So should I try my method of deer/coyote breaking while the pup is being started on coon when hes 8 months to a year old?

Tom jones, I was wondering if teaching my pup to ignore my sisters two pet cats would hurt him as far as going after coons. People told me it would because cats and coons supposedley smell alike. What do you think?

Post subject: it wont
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:15 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

LCk knows what he's talking about. Everybody trains or starts dogs a lil' diff.. I dont believe they smell alike. How old is your pup. does he live in the house ? (which is fine). I know people who use cats to get young pups to start treeing and it works for them. Your method will work for the deer and coyote. i WOULD LET HIM GET TO RUNNING AND TREEING COON FOR ATLEAST A MONTH BEFORE i STARTED BREAKING HIM OFF FAST GAME, UNLESS HE IS SHOWING MORE INTEREST IN THE OFF GAME. lck WONT STEER YOU WRONG. dang caps lock.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 3:25 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Hes 4 and a half months old, much too young for hunt training, he lives in outside in a gated kennel, but when i eventually bring him home id like to try and houstrain him. I know it doesnt mean anything yet but, hes the best out of his whole litter and is really gamey. Hes already treed a coon hide by scent alone. I have high hopes for him. I hope he progresses as well as he is now when hes around a year old.

Post subject: Re: deer breaking
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:26 pm 
IP:
Took my dog out for his first deer hunt in a spot where there are tons of deer (and coon). He sight-ran a deer so he got a shock, perfect set-up and result. He stuck close by me after that. His nose is always to the ground, of course, so he's crossing over deer tracks left and right (very fresh snow). He'll follow some tracks with interest for less than 20 feet then move on to something else. Should he get a shock for following that track for 10 or 20 feet even if there are just deer tracks everywhere? He does perk up some on the track but then just leaves it on his own.

Post subject: dog running deer?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:59 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

try getting a deer hide and put the dog in the barrel along with the hide and roll it down a hill with no tree or any thing that it could run into. then i promise you he will never run a deer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:17 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I think it is a good idea to help this pup ignore cats, nothin worse than turning loose near some old barns and homes and score on a ole cat, yes have been there :cry:

Cold nosed,go hunting,accurate,determined hounds with brains, is our goal
PKC CH County Line Sod Buster-( Big'n x Bev) Brains & accurate

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:23 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

LCK wrote:
Alex Schaefer wrote:
Do you think that trying to make my pup not go after my sisters two house cats, but to just ignore them, would discourage him from going after coons?

Won't hurt him a bit. You gotta break em off of evrything you do not aprove of. It takes time and some just prefer cats. The very best coon dog I own prefers cats over coon. That is how I got her. The previous owner could not break her from bobcats. I love running bobcats so I am more than happy to accept this "fault" in her but some folks can't stand for it.

Bobcat info. how do they run? do you make trees and they leave out?kind of like an ole mink but across timber etc.and cover some ground, may be having a problem once in a great while.

Post subject: deer breaking
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:26 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Try the John wick method. Best way possible

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:15 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I've been hunting my pup since he was four months old pretty well every night by the time he started treein very good there was too many leaves on but I kept on hunting. He was starting to tree pretty good. By the way he only ran two deer before. He made me pretty happy he was easy to catch and every thing till last night. I was settin there and I herd him rusteling around in the leaves never really thought nothin of it the I herd a baby deer start squallin so took off runnin down there to him and he took off the other way. So I called for him but he never listened about a hour later he came back and I had to run him down to catch him. Now needless to say he don't like a lead strap or me but since he got that taste will I always have problems with him running deer?
Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:12 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

It's definitely possible, but he is still young enough to learn pretty easily. If I was you I would invest in a good shock collar. I personally haven't had a dog run deer its always been an occasional grey fox. My buddy has a beagle that use to run deer and the last couple times he caught her doin it he leveled her with the shock collar. Now that beagle is a straight rabbit dog and hasn't chased a deer for quite awhile.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:28 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

My coon dogs were raised around my wifes cats and won't pay them no mind yet will tree an occasional cat in the woods. Guess they like our cats. Our cats will even arch there backs and rub on some of my dogs. All my dogs will tree coon.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:31 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Well fellas I'm saddened to say my 17 month old is starting to run deer . I think I ain't seen what he is running but i know he has ran something my old dog didn't and he is like he is going backa$$wards don't know where I went wrong he cause me to bought get shot last night went mile in a direction they never go onto a real butt holes property and came out looking like dirty harry .. Yeah I'm a little mad at my dog today so I'm going to have to learn to fix the problem is without killing him because he was starting to be a great dog wish me luck guys Lol cause I ain't getting killed over a dog that wants to burn an ol flag tail

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:09 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

My dog is 14 months old and trees alot of coons but every night he runs deer. He sometimes starts a deer race and ends on a coon. Sometimes he pushes them out the country. I dont want him running deer but dont want to stop him from treein either. How do i get him to focus more on the coon and less on the deer.