CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:33 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:44 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Hi there,

I have two black and tans as pets, and I kind of fell into all this after I was given a 12 year old, retired hunting bluetick hound. She still had a lot of go in her so I took her to some field trials to do treeing contests (she couldn't safely hunt as she was going deaf, and blind in one eye). I got bit by the bug through that and can't stop thinking about getting another coonhound pup to train up.

My bluetick passed away last year, so I don't have access to any dogs who know what's up either, and her breeder doesn't hunt anymore.

There are a few field trials in driving distance (5-7 hours) a couple times a year. I live in the desert, and I've never seen a raccoon dead on the road local to me. Basically I've got a bunch of challenges, limited access to hunters to learn from, limited legal hunting, no access to roadkill raccoons or being able to trap a live one on my property.

Is it possible to train up a pup with just scents and drags? I'd imagine they're likely to get bored without any real contact with a raccoon, or not know what to do. I'm thinking my best bet is to probably buy a finished dog and learn from them, but I've got a coonhound pup coming in September (if all goes well) and would like to give it an honest try. Thanks all.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:40 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Training scents can be used or you could train her to hunt something that is local. Coonhounds have been used to hunt just about everything from squirrels to lions and bears.