CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:57 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I have a 1 year old walker that will go crazy over a fresh hide, but is not interested in a live coon what so ever. Is this normal? i just got her a month ago. She has never been worked with until now. she does well on a drag of a fresh hide. Is she too old to start? Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:50 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

she is just the right age to start.
a coon in a cage is not all its hyped up to be for training a dog. more are cross threaded with a coon in a cage than anything good ever coming out of it.
lots of dogs wont bark at a caged coon. a dog (especially a pup) has no concept of the coon being in a cage. put another dog with her that will bark at it or make her think its running from her. to her the coon is standing its ground. pups are like bullys, they will go after anything that runs from them. if it stops and stands its ground they back off and leave it alone..
best thing is to turn the coon loose and let her go after it. first couple of released coon...go the direction the coon goes with her and encourage her to get it..she will think you are both going after it. it will make her more brave.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:01 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

You were right. Got her with another dog and she did great. worked her with that for for a week or so. Got her in the woods almost every night with a pretty good dog. Going to turn a live coon out for her this week. Keeping my fingers crossed. She is still timid around other dogs. If I let her watch the other dog, the very next day she will do it by herself. she does exactly what she sees when shes by herself. she also doesn't leave my sight in the woods. Its almost like shes scared of the dark. Is that possible?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:47 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

well sure she is probly timid of the dark. its all new to her. it will take some time for her to catch on to being in the woods at night.. once her mind is more on finding a coon she will not worry so much about where you are or getting off away from you as much..
the more time she spends around the same other dog the more relaxed she will get with it and she will buddy up to the other dog more..

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:47 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

She's doing better. we have a coon on a leash. She will track it but not aggressive when it comes to treeing. Doesn't stay interested for very long. Shes starting to venture further away at night in the woods and will go to other dogs when they tree but only runs around doesn't get in the excitement. Ive tied her back and let her watch a few times but hasn't helped much. I am seeing improvement every time we go to the woods. Shes even seen a few shot out to the other dogs. She acts like she really hates the coon on a leash when she sees him. That is the only time she gets excited about a coon. What else should I be doing?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:02 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

She treed a coon a few nights ago. It was a coon we let out of a trap. She ran it for about 500 yards before it treed. Still not a lot of barking at the tree. She was also with a few other young dogs. Going to try to turn loose another coon tonight by herself. Am I making a mistake by putting her on a fresh track or should I let her find the track on her own?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:03 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

release a coon, but don't let the dog see it. then wait 5 minutes and let her go. Cage coons can be a good tool to get a young hound on hot tracks, but I rarely let them see it in the trap.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:21 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I always tie my dog standing up on the tree if it won't stay an I recommend shooting one out to ur dog an letting her get on it try not to do a full kill shot on it!!good luck hunting "SAUCY SAMMY REDBONE POWER"

Last edited by Ohiocoonhunter81 on Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:20 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I always tie my hounds back and try to shoot the coon dead. Then let the dogs have it. I have had wayyy to many dogs getting ears and tongues torn up, and they take weeks to stop bleeding. The best dog I ever had nearly bled to death one night from a 26.5 lb boar coon puncturing a vein in her neck. I also just had a nice young hound get coonhound paralysis from a coon he caught on the ground. He couldnt stand or walk for over a month and it took 2 months to pass.
I used to think it was all about fighting the coon, but I have since learned better! Its about treeing coon and coming home with my hounds in good shape so I can hunt them again!