If you had a choice
Wildlife Materials TRX-3S with Johnson callars 28%  28%  [ 23 ]
Garmin tracking system 72%  72%  [ 60 ]
Total votes : 83
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:18 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Witch one, I have two great houndmen recommending opposite ones both great friends. But I have to get one soon, never used them before but as I get older, I can't keep up with the hounds like I once did. Were I hunt now there is a road every mile or two not like when I was running bears and could go sixteen without a road.

Take the next generation hound hunting they are our future. hound hunting since 1973

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:35 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Thanks Drew, so why didn't you weigh in here??? LOL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:45 pm 
IP:
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sarge, my opinion of GPS tracking system vs radio tracking system can be found in this section a few times over.

Basically, if ya want an extra tool in your equipment cache and you have the extra money to spend, buy a Garmin to compliment a radio tracking sytem.

But if you want a a tracking system that has been tried and tested and that can hold up beyond 1.5 miles, then get the old reliable radio tracking system.

Sending you a PM.

HuntingBassets.com - A site dedicated to hunting with Basset Hounds

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:51 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

hey sarge, you are in luck. mike and rick each ordered a garmin system in the last couple days. when they show up we will test them in all different conditions. our hunting ground is similar enough to yours. both of them are coming with the new style collars.

i am pretty sure i know who recommended the other system and im sure it is great, but keep in mind the difference of terrain and distances you will be tracking. i think around the midwest the garmin will be good if they got the bugs worked out. like i said IF.

how big of box does the wildlife have? give dennis a hollar, ive never seen someone track dogs so precisely. i cant remember what brand of box or collars he runs.

i am going to keep my radio system and if i like the garmin buy a couple collars so mike and rick can track them. LOL.

we will get back after some testing.

happy hunting, matt.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:17 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

If I were you i would do some research on an ATS sytem with the 3500 hour collars. I have been using one for about 8 years now and it is the best i have ever used or seen used in these rugged mountains of WV.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:04 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

neither

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:06 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Sarge...this a a case of newer not being better. I myself like a Tracker Complete with Intello collars and for extra range the yagi. I get around 10 miles at best but average 8 miles.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:23 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I have 2 quick track boxes and one wildlife box, 12 quick track collars and 8 wildlife collars i have been using for about 10 years. I also have 2 garmin units, 6 dc 20 collars i have had for just over a year and 2 dc 30 collars i am running now i did have 4 but my buddy bought 2.

the garmin is great but if you want the most range the quick track works best here in Florida.

I run bear,hog,deer, coyote, and bobcat and have used my collars in Mississippi, Florida, Georiga and Alabama.

i run both collars on my dogs. I like the garmin but if i get a split race I may have to go 5 or 7 miles to cut my dogs hours after they split and i like to know the telementry collars will still be working when i get back into range. The telementry collars dont get but around 2 miles here in the florida swamps where i hog hunt. and garmin gets around 1 mile.

At my house in central Florida garmin gets just under 2 miles and quick track gets around 3.5 miles wildlife gets a little less but the collars dont have to be sent back as much as quick track to be charged.

dont get me wrong i have had the days my garmin got 4 miles but that was only once and it usually losses signal around 1 mile.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:53 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

I want to thank you all for you insite. The only reason I posted this is because Two of the best hound men I have ever run with recommended different ones. And I have to get one period.

Post subject: Individuals
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:31 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

This is up to each individual person, I myself like the simpler easier to use radio telemetry collars. The GPS ones are nice and alot of hunters here are transferring over. I have the Innotek rd 400 which is a nice system I really like the antenna because it can track so many different frequencies. It does not pack easy due to its size but it hasnt failed me. I would suggest the telemetry collars and system just because I find them easier to use. The GPS ones are constantly improving and becoming more accurate and easy. I myself will eventually change over but not untill I am dead certain which one I want and it has to be a price I can afford.

"You cant beat the Brindlewoods"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:02 pm 
IP:
I HAVE A QUICK TRACK THAT PICKS UP 216-221 FREQ. I ABSOLUTLY LOVE IT. ONLY DRAWBACK IS CARRYING THE YAGI. BUT I WILL STICK TO WHAT WORKS.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:19 pm 
IP:
Site Admin
Site Admin

soup wrote:
I HAVE A QUICK TRACK THAT PICKS UP 216-221 FREQ. I ABSOLUTLY LOVE IT. ONLY DRAWBACK IS CARRYING THE YAGI. BUT I WILL STICK TO WHAT WORKS.

Quick Shot antenna is the answer to a carrying a smaller antenna.

Kinda like carry a Tracker................you still have the Yagi back at the truck if needed.

Profile  WWW
 Post subject: Re: Tracking systems
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:38 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Another plug for the ATS system, I have had mine for several years and it has always worked perfectly. I was weighing selling it and getting the Garmin but, after reading the garmin reviews I believe I'll stay with my ATS.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 7:03 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I've used a basic MN-10 with Johnson sealed battery collars. Have used them for years big game hunting and coon hunting...always worked great, never had a SINGLE problem.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:07 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I just got a garmin.I'll never use a radio tracking system again.I'm getting up to 4 miles with mine with no external antenna's.