CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post subject: Re: ur first coon dog
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:35 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Thank you.
Think she was pretty,ya shouldve heard her.
Beautiful compared to the bluetick I have now.
She was an all around plasure package.
Good luck with your pup.
Dont get frustrated.

Saint and Ticket

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:44 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

My first hound was a male walker several years ago. I hunted that dog every night of the week. He would barely tree a coon and had never treed one by himself. A guy I knew from town was into coon hunting and had always made fun of my dog even though we had never hunted together. One night he invited me hunting and I reluctantly accepted his offer. When we got to the spot to turn out I said a small prayer under my breath because I had talked my dog up to this guy so that he would quit making fun of my hound. When we turned loose my dog struck and ran as fast as he could as if he were running a deer. 200 yards later he treed and I was embarrased because I knew he couldn't have a coon he wasn't a good dog. His dog was still out milling arround and I got the all to common "your dog don't have a coon because my dog isn't there line" That guy continued to rag on me and my dog until we got to the tree. My dog had 2 coons in that tree and was treeing like a pro. well the tables had turned and I called it a night. Figured I might as well quit while i was ahead. A week later that dog got stolen and I have never told anyone that I have a dog that will tree a coon since. Many years have passed and many better dogs have came my way but I think he was my favorite dog to hunt ever.

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:30 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

my first hound was a bluetick male. i bought him when i was 10 in 2004. i worked on a neighbors farm all summer for 3 bucks and hour savin up a hound and an old man has him and was gonna shoot him. i asked him why and he said well son he will run deer. then i said will he a tree a coon though? the old man said yes he will but if he runs across deer he will run it instead of the coon so i offered him the 100 dollars for him and he said well hell son if you want him you can have him. so i took him home. i was so proud and happy that i finally had a hound that i dont think anyone could have gotten rid of the smile on my face. he was 2 when i got him and he died last year at 10 years old. i remember many nights id cut him loose and chased him for many of miles while he ran deer but i wouldnt have traded him for the world

Post subject: ur first coon dog
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 5:47 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

My first dog was a 4 year old blue female. Got for free from my buddy cause he was getting out of it. She was one hell of a dog. Then 2 weeks later on x-mas eve she had a stroke. I was so mad best dog I have had. Got her when I was 15 and now I'm 17 so there will be a better dog.

Mossburg and Anna

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 4:11 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I just got my first hound he is a redbone and has a ton of potential

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 5:28 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I was about 7 years old when I bought my first coon dog. I collected bottles and cans for about a year and a half till I had enough and bought a English pup, she didn't turn out to be a hunting dog because being so young didn't know how to train and have anyone to go out with me at nights. She was one of the nicest and gentle hounds anyone would see, she lived till 9. Determined to have my next dog a " coon" dog I bought a black and tan pup from my friends litter and sense then she's the best investment Iv made in my life, she's about 9 months old now and turning out to be real smart hound and shows a ton of potential

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 2:18 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

My first coin dog is a Redtick female and I took her out for my/our first hunt and I got 5 on one piece of land in about a hour and a half idk if that's good or not but it felt good haha then almost hit one on the way home it was the size of duffle bag biggest coon I have ever seen!!!

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 2:29 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

My first coin dog is a Redtick female and I took her out for my/our first hunt and I got 5 on one piece of land in about a hour and a half idk if that's good or not but it felt good haha then almost hit one on the way home it was the size of duffle bag biggest coon I have ever seen!!!

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 9:09 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:50 am 
IP:
My Papaw had a Bluetick hound... I started hunting with him when I was about eight. I told Papaw that I wished Blue was mine cause I liked him so much, so he told me that we could share him. I was tickled to have my own coondog, even though I didn't know what it meant at that time. We went to a night hunt and I remember Papaw winning and giving me the trophy... I was the happiest kid in the world. Little did either of us know that ole Blue, and that trophy, was the dog that did it... He got me hooked. My Papaw passed away on January 2nd of this year, but like he taught me, I still hunt and raise bluetick coonhounds, and love every minute of it... Thanks for all the stories, folks. And thank you Buckshot for such a wonderful site where fellow houndsman can get together, though miles apart, and share good stories with one another...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:13 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I hunted my grandpas dogs for years until the last one died off. Then my first "official" dog was a female running/treeing walker. got her when she was 3 months old and she was coon crazy had her til she was 1 1/2 years old and i couldnt get her to tree so i gave her away and have had many dogs in the last 12 years but now have a few of the best that i will probly ever own.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:31 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

My first dog was a Treeing Walker named Plugger. My great uncle gave him to me and my 2 younger brothers back in the mid 1970's. He was out of Grand Nite Ch Grimes Spark Plug. The only sure nuff good coon dog I ever had that would not bark at a caged coon. Had him a couple of years, ended up getting hit by a car. Sure made some great memory's with my dad and brothers. Had a lot of dogs sense the 1st one.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:51 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

When I was younger, my grandpa always had a couple Black and Tans around. He passed away when I was 6 and we never hunted the hounds, but my dad always told me stories about coon hunting. When I was about 8 years old, I read "Where the Red Fern Grows." As cliche as it may be, I always wanted a hound after that. I finally got a couple of Walker puppies about 3 years ago, from a gentleman who said his male jumped the kennel to get in with his female and he didn't want the pups. Of course I named them Dan and Ann. The biggest problem I had, being that I was (and am) a college student, so I had little time and no place to keep the dogs, besides my dad's house. After a month or so, Dan died of canine Parvovirus, but Ann lived. I moved to a place I could have pets, but still did not have time to properly train Ann to coonhunt. I did, however, train her to do all the basic commands (sit, stay, heel, etc.) in a month. There was definitely a learning curve. My dad and many others said this was ridiculous, because a hound wasn't smart enough to do all those commands and hunt. Well, I almost started to believe that. I had a few complications with her over the last couple of years (an unintentional pregnancy namely), but she is progressing very nicely. At first, I could not get her to do anything "in the field." She would run drags, and track and tree (house) cats all day, but when I took her out alone in the woods, she wouldn't stray very far from me. Most people I talked to said it was useless to keep trying. Finally we bought a finished male Walker (about 6 years old) and took them out together (this was just this last season). Immediately she followed him and started picking up the trail. The first coon they treed was in a big hollow cottonwood and we couldn't get to it. We took them a bit further down the creek and they struck a new track. They (both) treed after about 20 minutes and sure enough there was a big boar in the crook of a cottonwood tree off of a cut bank. My first shot hit him in the behind and he didn't come down. My dog got scared and came and stood by me. I thought, "Aw hell." The second shot knocked him out and he hadn't even hit the ground and my dog was on him. The coon ran up a hole in the side of the bank, and again I thought I was screwed. Well my dog didn't know any better and she went right up the hole behind him. She came out dragging and fighting the raccoon and the coon ran up a different hole that led to the top of the bank. It so happened that the finished dog was waiting up at that hole. He went down the hole and my dog went up the hole and all three came tumbling out about 6 feet down the hole and into the creek bed. They fought for about 30 minutes and finally, with the help of my dad, I was able to pull both dogs off and shoot the mostly dead raccoon in the head. He weighed about 25 pounds and was a hell of a pig to haul back to the pickup. Since then, she and the other dog have been hunting great together, the only problem being she doesn't open up on trail unless it is really hot (her voice is also one of the prettiest I have ever heard, much better than the finished male dog). She opens up on tree really well though, and I would say she has been one of the best investments and experiences of my life. In the future, I will be more prepared to train and take care of a coon dog, but I would like to point out that these hounds are very smart. You CAN teach them to be house dogs if you want (Ann listens very well to commands unless in the woods [she still comes and such]), and you CAN teach them to hunt even if they're over a certain age. She didn't truly hunt until she was almost 3 years old, and she's been doing great. Also, she went from being gun shy to loving my .22 rifle. Even if I bring it out just to go shooting or to clean it, she gets excited. Maybe she's an exception, but I'm willing to bet that if people gave their hounds some time and credit, at least half of them would turn around and become great hunting dogs. I have at least a year left of graduate school now, but I am hoping that she will give me many more good years and good hunts. Regardless, she is one of the most loyal companions I've ever had.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:24 am 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

Got my first CoonDog last month! Already spent a few long cold nights in the woods and I'm hooked. He's almost three years old UKC Purple Ribbon Bred American Black N Tan male named "Black Tie Affair". "Black" for short lol! He's out of Lawton Robinsons dogs. So far the weather down here in Texas has been hot days and cold nights. Only treed 1 the past few nights. Might try the early morning this weekend.
(Bad picture of him on the dog box but its all I've got of me and him)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:17 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

ole nightman wrote:
got my first dog about 1961or2 iwas 10.worked all summer on uncles farmto get him plus my own chores on our farm.he was 2yrs old bluetick his name was wonder.they named him that cause they wonder if he was coming back.uncle and dad had lost him alot.so he had stop hunting him so i ask if i could have him,will he said ask your dad.he said boy that dog aint worth feeding.but if u want him u have to earn him nothing free.belive thats when thay got me.but i wanted him bad so we stuck a deal me and my uncle.dad just laugh said ok boy hes your u take care of him.oh man the long nights and good times me and that dog had.he was my best friend he died at 11.to me he was the greatest coondog that has ever lived. brings back alot of good memorys with him maybe my dad and uncle huntin him now they have passed on too

My first one was about 1962. About the last day of school and I was walking home because I lived 0.9 mile from the school and state law said you couldn't ride the bus unless you lived more than a mile from the schoolhouse. I was walking home through the village and I saw a black and tan about 8 months old on a chain at an old fellows house that was full of energy and bouncing all around. The old man was always sitting in the porch swing when I passed so I asked about the pup. Sure enough he was out of the best Black and Tan CoonHound stock there ever was and the reason he had so much energy was he was Linebred , meaning he got a double shot of all of the best. We worked out a deal for $25 and he would keep him for me till I could raise the money cutting grass to pay for him. School is out so I cut grass for $1 a yard. Everybody in the village had a yard about one acre. I pushed that lawnmower over 25 acres and paid the man. I would exercise that pup on my bicycle. Got to where he was not scared of cars so I put him on a leash and never had to peddle again We would go around the village which was about a three mile loop a couple of times a day. One day I saw a housecat in our pasture and sicked him on it and it climbed in our woods before it got back to wherever home was. He barked treed about 4 barks and my older cousin happened to be with me and said "thats a tree bark", cause his daddy coon hunted but mine didn't and I did not know one thing really about it. We ran to the tree and I petted that dog. A couple more times like that and the cats got smart and always made it home and that pup would bay them under the house. The old couple didn't care though and I would crawl under that house and pull him out about every day. -continued-

Last edited by 1molatenite on Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next