CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:05 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

i was wanting to ask some ? i was wanting to know how dog's run on a bear track here where i live i hunt on federal and state land and the bear's r takeing it over their no seson on them they ture'd them loose about 10 or 11 year's ago and see sign ever where u look i think my dog's r taking out after them they have tree'd one so far

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:39 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Not sure really what your asking but when I run them its a straight line usually for several miles sometimes if its a sow with cubs she puts them up a tree and she runs big circles so she comes back and checks on them

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:28 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

2 or 3 time's ive had my dog's run and bay i mean blowing with very thing they got and they will run off in hollow and come back they don't take off a long way's and there's bear sign ever where u look u can't put out a feeder or any thing like that they turn it over and roll it off and i know there's no wild hog's in there because ive never seen any but where i hunt is big rough country i was told that u can't shock a dog off of bear because they smell like a coon is that true the one i tre'd the dog's run it just like a coon and i got to the tree and shine'd up it and it was a bear about 150p i got my dog and got out of there

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:45 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I know you can break bear dogs off coon so i would assume you can break coon dogs off bear.

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:35 pm 
IP:
The idea that animals smell the same or similar is complete BS. Dogs can tell the difference between individual animals of the same species. So they for sure can tell the difference between bears and coons. Although I wouldn't want to break my dogs off of bears, if you want to then do it. It won't effect their coon hunting. Just make sure you know what they are chasing.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:03 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

I would break a dog off coon before I would a bear,Bears dogs are worth something. some people ask a outrageous price for a coon dog.but a bear and Lion dog is worth something.

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 1:08 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I have seen EXTREMELY broke, straight coon dogs, run bear. several actually. I dont know what it is, but most coon dogs will run bear. I would be very cautious trying to break them off.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:13 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I'm not trying to be a smart azz,but I've have smelled bear in pens and coons in pens and they don't smell anything alike.Reason I'm saying this ,is because dogs have a lot better smeller on them than we do and I say they know the difference.If your dog is running a track and you know for sure it's a bear,then shock him.Bear dogs in our part of the country are not worth as much as a broke coon dog.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:00 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

tn.treedogs wrote:
i was wanting to ask some ? i was wanting to know how dog's run on a bear track here where i live i hunt on federal and state land and the bear's r takeing it over their no seson on them they ture'd them loose about 10 or 11 year's ago and see sign ever where u look i think my dog's r taking out after them they have tree'd one so far

are you wanting to take some bear out of there or what were about in jamestown are you

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:21 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

curdog675 wrote:
I have seen EXTREMELY broke, straight coon dogs, run bear. several actually. I dont know what it is, but most coon dogs will run bear. I would be very cautious trying to break them off.

Sounds to me like they weren't very broke, then. Funny how extremely broke dogs have run several bears. :lol: I've seen plenty of coon dogs that wouldn't run bears. That being said, try running them with some good bear dogs and you won't want to break them off anymore. Bear hunting is WAY more fun than coon hunting. Too bad they hibernate.