CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:47 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:45 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

What is the best way to start my two blueticks on cats? They are three years old and run raccoon.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:08 am 
IP:
Find a track in the snow, preferably fresh, and start walking it out with the dogs. Whenever the dogs respond to the scent pet them up. After they are really fired up, let them go. That's how I'd do it if I didn't have anyone to hunt with or experienced dogs. Be patient, bobcats are the hardest thing for a hound to catch and they are also difficult for the dogs to locate, especially in big timber. When your dogs make a lose, even good cat dogs will, if they can't figure it out, don't be afraid to go check trees. It may have popped up and they can't locate it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:30 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Maineblue;
I think my Ranger dog is the father to your two dogs.I killed a cat with there littermate brother when he was almost a year old.I just sold that littermate to a bear hunter in New York.He was a hell of a dog.That whole litter come out naturals!Ranger/Sadie was a super cross.Hope they do well for ya this season,remember walk them tracks till them dogs are pullen and real interested.and be there to help them on the losses.If they loose the track be there to put them back on it. they'll put it together, keep up the good work.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:26 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Barn cats are easier to find than a track! Maybe someone that runs cats would let you tag along. GOOD LUCK!!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:04 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Find a track in the snow, preferably fresh, and start walking it out with the dogs.

That got me smiling for sure. Sometimes cats go through open areas in a straight line and you wonder how do these things ever survive, BUT most of the time thier in and out of the thickest cover you could ever find. and when they come to a beaver dam that's some real fun. Try walking across beaver cuttings in the dark and a hound on a leash. And if they can walk across the least frozen piece of frozen water they will- which makes one nervous about chasing them during the period the ice is forming on the beaver ponds, etc. You could do a whole reality show on the gentleman's one sentence I copy and pasted above, but it does work and can be fun, but it's usually more fun in your memory than it was in reality- though it is rewarding. Good luck. Paul Conway

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:00 am 
IP:
Sure everyone has different terrain to hunt but that doesn't mean it's not possible. The idea is better than sitting on a couch or sending "ole blue" down a track he has no idea he is supposed to chase. Here we don't have the issues that Paul has. Our main issue is rocks. And lots of them. Bobcats don't usually travel alot, compared to bears and lions.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:21 am 
IP:
Paul Conway wrote:
Find a track in the snow, preferably fresh, and start walking it out with the dogs.

and when they come to a beaver dam that's some real fun. Try walking across beaver cuttings in the dark and a hound on a leash.

you hunt cats in the dark?? unheard of around here, the smartest is during the day but thats around here, not sure where your at

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:43 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

You know if it snows where you are then find a good fresh track and walk the dogs.... If you happen to live where it really dry, say the southwest, and its powder dry about 70 percent of the year you might ought to think about using mike leonards training covered on BGH or maybe see about hunting with friends with trained dogs or maybe buy an oldler cat hound if you can find one to start your dogs off.... Hey you might even be able to lease an old cat hound for a season who knows till you try... anyway you go good luck...

and about hunting at night we hunt our cats 99 percent of the time at night.... to hot and dry for the day time especially in the summer months..