CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:01 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:14 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Hey,
Maybe some of you guys that live in states that have mountain lions can answer a question for me. I live in New York and the DEC says we have no mountain lions but being an avid coonhunter I beg to differ. My question is do mountain lions hunt coon? Do you run into them in areas where there are alot of coon like cornfields? Not frequently but twice now over a twenty year period I have run into what I am Quite sure was Mountain lion in cornfields while coonhunting here in chenango county NY I look forward to hearing from anyone familiar with these cats.
Thanks
Doug Sands

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:15 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

More likely a bobcat than a Mtn Lion in the cornfield.

Myself, I never seen a lion by a coonfield but that's not to say it won't happen. I also live in a area where there's not a lot of cornfields so I couldn't say 100% either way but my thinking is a bobcat.

As far as your question do mountain lions hunt coon..yes. Mtn Lion are meat eaters, predators and opportunist. They won't pass up a meal. A coon will work just fine for a hungry lion.

Hope this kinda helps.

Robb

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:19 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I've hunted lion for years. Have seen many lions in places you wouldn't think of.so why not a corn feild. Always expect the unexpected and u will be ready for any thing.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:39 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Hey, Jason

Don't know of any cornfields in MAGDALENA.... :)

Your right lions will turn up where ya least expect them.

Robb

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:11 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

No cornfield here but you never know when or where you might stick one up.been all over new Mexico and even southern Texas. You would be surprised where them rascals show up. 8)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:10 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

hell we were gathering sat in burtin flats and one hand seen a lion i went back and found tracks you just never no cause i have been in that country my hole life and have never seen one there

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:22 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Hey, Chaseb

You know of anyone that has any pups let me know. I'm looking to pic up another one.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:37 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Around here cornfields mean deer and deer mean lions. I have never known a case of a lion dining on a coon but that doesn't mean they woulddn't.
A young lion that was equiped with a radio collar here in the Black Hills. He dicided to take a hike and was next discovered in North Dakota. He then crossed northern Minnesota and on into Canada. This was the last I new of him. His trip at this point was the longest a mountain lion had been tracked!

Mel

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:57 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Mel,

That's a long trek for that lion. I'm guessing it's looking for a mate..

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:22 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Yes it is the longest distance a mountain lion had been tracked by gf&p. Three of the five longest tracked travels of lions started right here in the Black Hills. This happens when a dense population of lions is present. It kind of flies in the face of those trying to stop our lion season!!!

Mel

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:24 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

How long is the lion season up there?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:51 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

It goes until the quoq is filled. %0 lions this year or 30 females, whichever comes first.

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:06 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Back in 2007 in crawford county Pennsylvania at our dairy farm I ran into a collared cat twice (once in archery and once while coonhunting) both times I was within a quarter miles of corn. Pa game commission was called twice by neighbors due to attack on horse and a beef cow both which were fatally wounded, The officer said it was probably a bear but the vet was positive it was feline due to the claw marks on the animals back. Have heard reports from others that the Pa game commission relesed 20 or so Lions in large gamelands and state and national forests to help with the over abundance of coyotes now in Pa ( I think they just want to lower the deer population even further). But the last known record of a lion was one shot by a local farmer (Skelton) in Edinboro Pa, who saw a male and female attacking his cattle in the fall of 1976, Killed the male but female got away. The Male is mounted in the zoology lab of Edinboro University of Pennsylvania.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:16 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Same in ny dec says they are not here but lots of old farmers see them.my girlfriend and another girl seen a mother and kitten cross rt26 fort drum ny on the way to work i tell her she is crazy and she says i have watched enough of your movies to no the differance.Cat Men 1 2 3 thousand times maybe.Oh ya and there was that one time i came home from coyote hunting late one night(dumb junker wouldnt quit even though i asked her nicely)it was about ten at night i was out feeding dogs(they were being real quiet ya right)anyway my work horses all six came hauling over the hill nostrils the size of a chew cans and snorting and blowing hard i shut the dogs up and this cat was yowling real loud and deep not like a bobcat screech but loud like an african lion but not quite as loud but it was dark so no proof for me little eyes.Lots of adirondack people see them too but until one is on a tailgate somewhere in ny then its all lies so they say.