CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:51 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

No one has treed one. No one has even photographed a black mountain lion or panther. Jaguars are sometimes black but there aren't any in Kentucky. There are "sightings" of these black cats around here too. Kind of like the chupacabra and sasquatch.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:29 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

well iv never treed any kinda cat other then a house cat, but i do believe you bout them existing, because my uncle jus bout a deer farm in Morris Oklahoma, and every spring 1 gets in the 40 acre deer pen and kills all the fawns, lets jus say it wont b happenin this year since he owns it.
he has seen the 1 that kills the fawns, and 2 others all within a 40 mile radius.

RIP THROUGH THE NIGHT WITH A BOBCAT LIGHT If you want a good dependable light give Bob a call at 918-822-8888

They call me Chief not mess around 4 a reason :)... Ole Stone Mountains Billy Bob and Copper, Good as the Best and Better than the Rest. Names Stoney. wanna hunt give me a call or text @ 918-497-0269

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:23 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

My buddy said he seen one in West Virginia this year when we were deer hunting. And two other guys said they heard it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:44 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

we were hunting out here in in and are dogs got tracked by one till we got out of the woods

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 1:42 pm 
IP:
they do so exist for you all who say they don't. I live in McDowell county WV and i do every kind of hunting and fishing there is to do in this state, and all i have ever treed is coons but i have had one walk under my treestand during this past hunting season and myself and several friends were tracking the 197 inch buck that i shot around the end of that season and seen it with our own eyes. some say they are fisher's , which are very small , basicly a black bobcat but this was twice bigger than any of my hounds . I've wanted to hunt it for some time now but not sure how legal it would be, however i called my local DNR and they said a black panther was nothing more than a myth. therefor this year if i happen to stumble across it again, im goin to bust its @ss. if anyone is interested in doing some huntin of anykind in southern WV send me a PM

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 1:18 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_panther

Cougars

Illustration of a black cougar, 1843[citation needed]There are no authenticated cases of truly melanistic cougars (pumas). Melanistic cougars have never been photographed or shot in the wild and none has ever been bred. There is wide consensus among breeders and biologists that the animal does not exist.

Black cougars have been reported in Kentucky and in the Carolinas. There have also been reports of glossy black cougars from Kansas, Texas and eastern Nebraska.[citation needed] These have come to be known as the "North American black panther". Sightings are currently attributed to errors in species identification by non-experts, and by the memetic exaggeration of size.

Black panthers in the American Southeast feature prominently in Choctaw folklore where, along with the owl, they are often thought to symbolize Death.

In his Histoire Naturelle (1749), Georges-Louis Leclerc, Comte de Buffon, wrote of the "Black Cougar"[6

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 11:05 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Where I used to hunt in IA there is a big bluff south of Douds, IA where supposedly one lived. The old man who owned the land knew where her den was but wouldn't tell anyone knowing that someone would kill her. As long as she was left alone then she never bothered anyone but there have been dogs killed and injured only because they were in the area of her den. I know guys who supposedly had to carry their dogs out of the timber.
I have heard many stories of black panthers crossing highways in IA mostly along the Skunk River bottom land and the bottom land in VanBuren County. One of these stories even came from my dad who doesn't lie about stuff like this and in fact reminds me of those who just don't believe in this stuff. I know that if he talks about it then there must be some truth to the matter.
I have done lots of traveling and I also remember seeing one cross the road in front of us late at night in northern Florida. It was the first one I had seen and until then I had argued with several people about their existence. I believed for years that they existed but there was my proof. Sure wish I had a camera.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:38 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I do believe there are some out there,just because you haven't seen it don't mean it ain't there.I've never seen a million dollars but I know it out there.you never know what up might look up and see out there.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:54 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I won't go so far as to say there is not ANY big cats roaming the east coast. My theory is that if there were some of these guys that have bought lion and bear dogs or hunt both would have treed one. I believe that any "wild" lion around here was released as a pet or escaped from a farm and therefore die soon afterwards of exposer or starvation. There may be sightings around "civilization" for a reason. They are released close and therefore stay where there is an easy meal. But, in the back of the beyond they starve. I also believe this is why their is no breeding population. Some may even be fixed and the chances of two actually meeting to reproduce would be almost a 1 and a million chance. What alot of people claim to be "mountain lions" screaming are the screams of a bobcat. I have heard it and watched one do it so I know for a FACT what made the sound. It sounds like a woman falling threw the depths of hell and even knowing what makes the sound it still raises the hair on my neck and gives me the willies when I'm alone back pack hunting and one does it. All that being said..... you can't legally kill one in TN even thou WRA claim they do not exist. You can't kill big foot either... :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:06 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I live in NC, have several properties ranging from the peidmont (middle of the state) all the way to the coast. I hunt all sorts of things and spend as much time in the woods AWAY from civilization as I can. I have personally seen these cats twice in my life. both times in brunswick county, NC in the Green Swamp. Both were large cats, about double the size of your tipical bobcat, long tail. Really a scaled down puma/mt lion/etc. except solid black. our bear dogs bumped one out of a block last winter and I saw the second one this spring, ran across the road in front of me in broad daylight. they have a really weird call, callled a "catawal" (sp?). I hear them all the time doing this right on the intercoastal waterway, within 100 yards of my mothers house. I have also heard that same call where I live about 30 minutes south of raleigh, a liitle farm commnity. I have to assume it is these cats making this sound, I have never heard it anywere else or anything like it. this is not the sound a bobcat makes, it's different, wierd.

the readers digest version: yea i seen it! big ole black thing run'd cross the road in front o'my truck. woulda look' good on my wall.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:43 am 
IP:
This post should be moved to the stories and poems section. Some people are just stupid.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:05 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I don't know about black mt lions, but I live in kanawha county in wv a 1/4 mile from kanawha state forest and there have been numerous cats caught on game cameras in the park and u can hear them pretty frequently at night, I know what bobcats sound like and its not anytype of bobcat, I believe that there could definitely be black panthers out there.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:07 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Who knows for sure..... A black was seen in Dadeville, Al.. Here's the story copyed from the Alexander City Outlook ...
In the past few months there have been multiple sightings of a black bear that has caused its witnesses to do double-takes and brought skeptical responses from people they shared their sightings with.

It is the first known bear sighting in the area in the last eight years, according to local game warden Sgt. Michael East.

So far, all the sightings are in the Dadeville area – from the geographical center of town, which is quite wooded, to the west of the city limits in the vicinity of Point Cloxson Circle off of Youngs Ferry Road. The three known sightings have not included multiple bears.

It all started about four months ago during a local couple’s late afternoon boat ride.

“It would have been sometime in mid-June – that’s when we saw it,” said Sherry Watkins. “We thought it was a dog until my husband (Jim) said, ‘He has round ears.’”

Sherry said the couple was riding along in Sandy Creek “in the cut right before you get to the big water” near the rope swing. They maneuvered closer and, although it was twilight, got a good look at the beast.

“We watched it swim across and climb up on the bank and run into the woods,” she added. “Everybody thought we were crazy, even the game warden.”

For a few months the bear kept a low profile or witnesses didn’t bother coming forward, because the next recorded sightings didn’t happen until three and a half weeks ago off of Point Cloxson Circle. First a son saw it, then the mother, and neither one knew of the other’s story until after the father had been told.

Jason Clark, a local artist and landscaper who lives on the lake, was on his way out to the water to fish from the dock. Upon clearing the trees and making his way onto the wooden walkway, Jason’s attention was on the clear star-filled sky and the illuminating full moon. It wasn’t until Jason heard the sound of “turtle shells or claws – heavy, heavy claws – scraping on the wood” and a couple of splashes that his startled gaze moved toward the ground.

“I almost stepped on a bear on my pier,” Jason said. “It all happened so fast. It was early and the sun wasn’t out; I only saw it by the light of the moon. He must have seen me first. He had to go somewhere or encounter me – he chose to jump.”

The bear had jumped four feet down into less than a foot of water and took off on the exposed lake bed rumbling next to the seawall heading toward land.

“He was bigger than a dog,” Jason said. “He was the height of a big dog, but his body was wider. The fatness of him – dogs don’t get that big around.

A bear? (To see) it was really cool to me. If it had been a momma bear and her cubs, I’m sure all I would have seen was claws and teeth.”

Jason had no idea at the time that his account of what he saw on Sept. 20, which his father (Jim) chalked up to lunacy, would be confirmed the next day by a very credible and unimpeachable witness – his mother and Jim’s wife, Ann.

“It was a Tuesday, because I had worked at the (Russell Medical Center) hospital,” Ann said. “It was between 11:30 (a.m.) and 12 (p.m.) – the middle of the day.

“I was coming down West Lafayette (Street) and as I crossed over the bridge going into Dadeville, the bear crossed the street in front of me, going from right to left.”

That part of Dadeville is a marshy creek area with woods on either side of the road.

“My reaction was, ‘This is not a dog,’” Ann said. “I say if he had stood up on his hind legs, he would be six feet tall.

“I told my husband I saw a bear and he said, ‘You’ve got to be kidding! Have you heard about Jason?”

That’s when Jim related their son’s sighting from the previous night and a tall tale became sane and real.

Since the Clarks’ encounter, Jason said that someone has come out and found territory-marking scratches on some trees and hair samples that confirm the presence of a bear.

According East, bears use the water to migrate, which would explain their ability to travel such long distances and avoid man-made barriers like roads and fences. The range of bears in Alabama goes as far north as Talladega National Forest and as far south as the swampy wildlife refuges near Mobile.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:56 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I had a buddy that treed one well he didn't tree it but it bayed him and his dogs and his grandson. His dogs got treed and when they got into them they were shining the tree and heard something walking around them just out of the light. So he turned his light off for just a minute thought it was a bobcat or something just being nosey. Well when he flipped the light on it was bigger than any bobcat. He had the proof is all i will say. IF there in east tn they should be any where then.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:56 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

They are in EastTennessee but the game officers say they think they do not exist.My grand-mother seen one many times in years past-then last year my wife and i were deep in the mountains and one crossed in front of us.IF THEY DO NOT EXIST WHY IS IT A FEDERAL CHARGE TO KILL ONE??? THANKS HOPE A PIC TURNS UP FROM A GAME-CAM SOON SO THIS ALL CAN BE PUT TO REST.