CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:38 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:20 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Well I took him out with another older 2 nights ago and they ran a coon into a giant brush pile that we had no way of being able to get into so needless to say we didn't find the coon but I did hear him in the mix. I am having a heck of a time catching a coon in a trap lol :? Once I finally get one caught, hopefully tonight, I will do what y'all have suggested. Is he too old to have him run a drag with the coon I catch after he has treed it and I have shot it out?

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:37 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I work with my dogs all the time my female is 3 worst it could do is brush them up on there skills

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:38 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I use cat food in traps to catch live coons

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:07 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I've used cat food, dog food, tuna, spam, donuts, and most recently shad from the bait shop. I can buy a ziplock full of shad from the bait shop for 2.50 and I'll use my leftovers on trotlines Saturday. I caught the same opossum three times but he won't have a chance anymore due to my 22. I have it in an area with coons on a creek that have tracks. I just tried the shad two days ago, caught the opossum and reset it yesterday so hopefully something will be in it tomorrow.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:17 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Buddy I wish u all the luck I just recently got a redbone pup for valentines from the ol lady to train off my 3 yr old I got a full plate here soon also

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:34 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Well I finally got to go with a guy that has a decent older dog and his dog treed, we found the coon, and he didn't want to shoot it out. :( So basically my dog didn't get to fight a coon or really probably even know what was going on still. I have two traps out now both around a pond with fish for bait so hopefully I can catch something!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:45 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I did not read all the reply's to your question but advice is like an opinions everyone has one . i wont give you advice or my opinion only what my luck with my dog has been . i started my black and tan off on a drag with a coon scent just playing with him every day it got to the point after playing with him . i started to drag it in the woods while leaving him tied up once i ran it in tree i go back and let him loose . after a month there wasn't any where you could hide it he couldn't find it . ive been taking him hunting since he was 4-1/2 months old he is almost 17 months now and hes been running coons since he was about 13 months he will split off to run his own . but until last night he never treed on his own i have been very slow with him and not rushed him i don't hunt competition just for fun i enjoy watching him grow so to me he like a kid and you have to remember that even though there 13 and 14 months old even though some here would say he should have been treeing sooner he's still young now if he was 3 years old and no sign of hunting then i would just have a best friend and find me another dog to hunt . so just work as much read as much and remember you only get out what your wiling to put in give 10% and you will receive 10% give 100 and you get the point hope this helps .

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:48 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

p.s if you catch a coon in the trap as long as it not a huge one id turn it lose with dog in hand and well game on its fight flight or hold the light .

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:06 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I was finally able to get a coon and make a drag out of it. I was wondering how long a drag is good for? I don't know how to tan them or anything so I just have it in the freezer. I worked him yesterday with it and he did really well, much better than I expected. I have been reading up on coon scents to put on drags but they are all forums from several years ago. I was wondering if ya'll have used any recently and which ones you prefer?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:56 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Everybody has their own opinion... But I have trained several hounds and have never once used a drag. I believe that drags used, especially at your hounds age, are a waste of your time. Hounds do not get excited over an old hide, whether it has scent or not. You will burn your hound out, AND burn yourself out. Expose this dog to REAL LIVE coon. You don't have to show them to him in a cage more than once or twice. Just release coon(if it is really dry, wet the coon with water- this will give more scent) and get your hound 4 or 5 minutes later and let him find the track. And once he successfully finds the right tree, give it to him. Then start spending 2 or 3 nights a week taking him out next to cornfields or water sources where he can find an easy track. Dont hunt him for 5 hours a night til he is bored- 30 minutes- 1 hr is fine. Try to end the night on a good note. Good luck, and after a lot of hours invested, you will be happy you took the time with him. There are few things more rewarding that seeing a young hound "flip the switch" and start treeing coons consistently!!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:53 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Well I finally caught a coon in my live trap after countless opossums, skunks and even and otter. I have been reading the replies and was wondering if I should even show him the coon in the trap? I have only done this one other time and he went crazy which I know does not meant anything. Should I let the coon go where the dog can see it or no? Just don't want to do anything wrong since it took me so dang long to catch a coon lol :shock:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:19 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Do exactly wat jeeppro says don't let ur dog see the coon wet it down let go in a good spot give it 5-6 min turn the dog out on it an wen he puts it up I tie mine to the tree an let them stay treed on it for a few min shoot it out to him ull make a dog!!!!!!!!GOOD LUCK

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:21 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Have u shoot next to him yet to make sure he ain't gun shy????iv seen dogs meet ya back at the truck after a shot lol

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:28 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I have shot a gun around him several times and he doesn't seem to mind it at all. I will do what you and jeeppro have suggested. If he gets to the tree and doesn't start treeing do I need to tie him to the tree and try to get him to start barking? Do I need to knock the coon out even if he doesn't try to tree?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:25 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

dont let him see the coon this time-If he shows you the tree( whether he stays treed, or even barks at all), tie him up at the tree and knock it out. he will get the idea.

The best hound I have had would lead me to the tree, and look up, but never bark . I pet her up until she barked once, then knocked it out. She turned into one of the hardest tree dogs I have ever seen in about 3 weeks! I still miss her.... even though its been a few years since she got killed

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next