CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:32 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Caged Coon
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:06 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I'm a beginner in coon hunting, almost through my second kill season. I've only trained one dog. A grade crossbred, whose sire was a country coondog (bluetick) and dam never accomplished anything besides sleeping under a porch and tearing up a housecat once. So my opinion, compared to many others who've been at this much longer than me, is probably next to worthless. What I'm curious about, is why almost every thread I read on various forums (to include this one), the answer seems to be "get a caged coon." From not being aggressive enough, to not tracking right, to not treeing hard enough. The vast majority of answers I've seen to problems had been to put your dog in front of a caged coon.

Also in many, many for sale ads. 10-15 month old dogs and the only good thing said about them is that they "hate a caged coon."

Like I said, im not a seasoned coon hunting vet like a lot of people, but from the time I started i was given the impression that caged coon, especially too often could ruin dogs. That it should only be used as a last resort to try amd kickstart a dog that otherwise, just wont do it.

When i got my dog i hunted him next to an old country bluetick that was straight until the first time he backed him on a tree (8 minths) then singled him out and hunted him alone 3-4 nights a week for about two months until he was doing it himself. Now, at 2, he's a fast, wide hunter, and as hard of a tree dog as i've seen (in my limited experience.)

So what are the opinions of the old heads on here? Is everyone just trying to make their dogs tree too quick by putting caged game in front of them, and potentially ruining them? Or am i missing out on a good training method because i heard and read a few times that caged game was bad for training?

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject: Re: Caged Coon
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:36 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Caged coonhounds and Bay pen Hog dogs are in about the same in my thoughts.What do they really learn sure it looks good, so good that many try it again and again but what do they know about hunting foaming at the mouth at a coon in a cage. I'm not saying never use a coon in a cage but don't let that be your total training method. I will drag one ether dead or alive around the out side of a pup pen to see how they react to it after that I will take the coon in a cage and place it in a branch/small creek behind my house so the pups will find it while hunting,that only once. After that the only thing that I do with a caged coon is turn it out let it make a trail out of the pups view then go walking with them Once they make a tree that's it take them to the woods and hunt them. It's a big step from setup coons to treeing a wild coon but it least they learn the basics .

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 10:16 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

The way I use a caged coon.
After my pups know what a coon smells like, I catch one in a live trap down on the creek. I put it in one of my rolling cages, let the pup loose to play with it. After about 1/2 hr to 45 mins I take it down along the creek & tie a rope to it & throw it up over a limb. I then pull the cage up & down to entice the pup to tree. After a few times of this they'll get the idea & start to tree on it. Some take longer. After a week or so, depending on if the pup is ready or not, I take the caged coon along a field & turn it loose late in the evening while the pup is on a lead strap watching. Then after the coon is out of sight, cut the hound loose & let it work the track. You don't want to do this over & over & over. 2 or 3 times at the most. After a lip knows what a coincidence is, the best thing to do is give it some time in the woods with another experienced hound. After it gets used to the track & treeing part, start to take it out by itself. You don't want to give a hound that is already tracking & treeing caged coon. The best thing for them is to knock a coon out to them. In season of course.

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 10:27 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

SHC's Walkers wrote:
The way I use a caged coon.
After my pups know what a coon smells like, I catch one in a live trap down on the creek. I put it in one of my rolling cages, let the pup loose to play with it. After about 1/2 hr to 45 mins I take it down along the creek & tie a rope to it & throw it up over a limb. I then pull the cage up & down to entice the pup to tree. After a few times of this they'll get the idea & start to tree on it. Some take longer. After a week or so, depending on if the pup is ready or not, I take the caged coon along a field & turn it loose late in the evening while the pup is on a lead strap watching. Then after the coon is out of sight, cut the hound loose & let it work the track. You don't want to do this over & over & over. 2 or 3 times at the most. After a lip knows what a coincidence is, the best thing to do is give it some time in the woods with another experienced hound. After it gets used to the track & treeing part, start to take it out by itself. You don't want to give a hound that is already tracking & treeing caged coon. The best thing for them is to knock a coon out to them. In season of course.

Good Read !!

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 9:40 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Tango- you are right on the money. Keep up the good work and congrats on making a coondog! Everybody's opinions so far on this post are good. I have worked with many hounds over the last few years and most I only used a couple in a cage to let them know WHAT to run- after that, just let them do what they are bred to do- TRACK and TREE.

When I see a classified AD "Hates Cage Coon" That means NOTHING! I have see jack russels, labs, and any other breed bark at a coon in a cage!