CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:52 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:17 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I've always wanted a bluetick and "think" im ready for one. I live outside the city, single home, but I don't have the land that I see some people say is necessary. I have a smaller back yard and I wont be able to let the hound roam like many people recommend. With that being said, I do like to hike/run for an hour after work so i could work him that way. Last thing I want is to mistreat the pup by not having the proper space for him, or so I think I dont have the proper space. Is it absolutely necessary for these dogs to have roaming freedom? thoughts?

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:31 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

if you are going out running it get more time out than lot dogs get m to f

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:46 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

I have blueticks and I live in town. Neighbors are close so controlling the noise is a must. Our hounds live in the house not in a kennel. Their high intelligence requires a lot of mental stimulation. Simply giving them a bone to chew is not enough. They like puzzles and games and scent trails to figure out. If you can't keep them occupied mentally you will not like how they occupy themselves. Over the years our dogs have figured out how to open the fridge, open windows, unlatch crates, climb the most unreasonable things (found one on top of the fridge a couple of times) and generally get into everything when bored. If you can keep them busy and interested they are easy to train to fit into your home life and behave themselves.

Physical exercise is important but it does not have to come from letting the dog roam. Jogging would be a lot of fun for the dog. A small yard isn't great but if you put some obstacles out there you can make it more interesting.

Many will tell you they aren't fit for living in the house but many don't have the time or patience to handle them in the house. Spending time with your pups gets them learning what's important to you and teaches them which behaviors are good and which are not. People who both hunt and live with a hound will tell you they are the best because they understand their owner better and actually care to please him/her rather than just hunting to tree something. The dog will listen to your tone of voice and watch your body language. It's more of a companionship than having a furry hunting tool that only knows a few rules and specific commands to obey. If you don't hunt they don't mind learning other things like search & rescue, agility, detection work or anything else a smart dog is capable of.

I know it's a long post but this part is important. If your dog will be in the house alone while you work you need to crate train it. I was firmly against crating pups in the beginning. All our previous pups had been loose in a puppy-proofed house. After weeks of dealing with my first coonhound pup I was at my wits end, stormed into the local feed store and got the biggest animal cage they had. After a day of howling I noticed the pup was actually happy when I got home. It had learned that when I came home I would see the carnage and be angry. This caused the pup to be unhappy and it associated my coming home with grumpiness, not playing and cleaning up the mess. When I came home and she was crated there was no mess and it became a happy time for her. Eventually the crate was left open and she used it for a bed when she wanted.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:49 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

WOW! that post was really helpful! I really appreciate you taking the time to share with me.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:14 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

You're welcome. I didn't see more than one person answer and most on this site have their dogs in kennels. I assumed since you have a small yard you'd want the dog in the house. Don't get me wrong, they do fine in kennels too. Lots of interaction with you makes the difference.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:17 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

like you said, most are in Kennels and that is what had me worried. Now I just need to find a litter in PA....

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:00 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I love hounds I live in a small town an have been complained on numerous times I had a big mouth blue tick in the kennel an I couldn't ##*%* him up he was fine after a few hrs of hunting an would sleep all night after but woke up ready to go I eventually said heck with it an got rid of him I hated to but had to there loveable dogs but very hard headed

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 10:16 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Me & my wife live in town & we have our hounds outside in kennels. It's more like a town/country setting if that makes any sense. We don't have room to let them roam around but we take them out 3-5 nites a week every week. Keeping them quiet at night is really the only thing we have to worry about. But the hounds we have now have been here for 3 yrs & more so they know the routine after dark, lol.