CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:58 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

That coon is scared to death. Hopefully it's not where the pups can smell it or vice versa. It might die up there. Good luck with your pups. I'm in the same boat as you training a new pup.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 4:26 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Well He came down last night some time lol and went on to live the free life lol . my male dog treed another squirrel this morning going about 120 yard in the woods from the house . i had to litrely pick him up to get him to leave the tree . also i changed my drag i got a old sock that hasnt been worn in some time lol but clean i put 1 drop of the coon scent in a water bottle and misted it wet on the bottom end then ran it the still found it . theres days they play then theres days they just hunt and make it like playing a game . thanks for the commits if you need anything holla .

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:26 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Ok my 7month old pup has seen a live caged coon. And she was afraid at first but once I started to move the trap around she wanted it bad. So I let her bark and growl at it for probably 10 minutes and then I tied the pup to a tree and let the coon go. Then I let the pup go and she went to the tree and treed for a couple minutes and then went in the woods where the coon was before it got in the trap but she would come back and tree for a few barks.

Now when I catch the next coon I'll let her chase me with trap and then hang it in a tree for her to tree.

My question is how far ahead of the dog should I let the coon get when I release it from the trap? But when should I let the pup get close enough to fight it? I don't want her to get afraid of coons if it's to soon.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:41 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I don't know that I would move so quickly to letting her chase it in the open. But when I do get to that point it is tricky. I try to keep them in sight of the coon but don't let them catch it. Most won't do anything but bay at it. But an aggressive coon will go after them. You might want to try tying the coon up out of the trap first and see how she reacts to it. If she's getting too close I would hold off letting her chase it.

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:11 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Well she really surprised the heck out of me. She was biting the trap trying to get the coon. So she might get really aggressive with the coon loose. It's just weird that she was aggressive with the trapped coon because she is a little timid with most things including people she doesn't know and other dogs she doesn't know.But she is getting better with that.

I'll hold off for now and letting her loose to early. She need to learn to trail also. So I guess a few more times letting the coon tree in front of her. Then letting coon go in a big field without pup seeing.

I think I'm just over thinking this training stuff by trying to get it done to fast. The only hound I've ever trained was a beagle on snowshoe hare. And he started running them at 6months. But rabbits won't scare the dog.

Should I be giving her a treat or something like a favorite toy for the first few times with the caged coon? Like they do with bird dogs. Or just the petting and praise? But when she's at the tree on at the trap she doesn't want me to touch her. Unless I put her on a leash to control the situation.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:24 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Hispanicpbh has some really good advice. Training a coon hound is one of the hardest things I've done. That to me is why you see so many coon hounds for sale, because they give up on the dog to early or overly hard on the dog. We live in what I call the microwave age, in that we want it done now. That's not how it works in training dogs.
I've got a buddy that loves black n tans and he got ahold of an early learning b&t and was really accurate for his age, but the dog also loved to tree an opossum. So he started beating the bejesus out of the dog. He finally got the dog to quit treeing opossums. But the end result is, if my buddy is hunting with someone else's dogs and the other dogs tree an opossum, his dog will quit hunting and go get in the dog box. If your in a comp hunt and your dog quits hunting your either minused or scratched. One of the most important things to training a dog, is to get the dogs respect and love. It makes training the dogs easier and the end result will be much better. Training a dog properly also means determining the dogs personality. I've only trained 1 dog so far, and he is an alpha dog. It took me awhile to figure out that I needed to show him that I was the alpha male. I had to eventually use a choke chain to let him know I was the boss, and after that everything fell into place. But if the dog is not an alpha dog then your training the dog will be different.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:17 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I just bought my first walker hound female outa insane cain insane Jane bloodline supposed to be good hounds iv heard at 18 weeks old already tracking in woods an standing on tree at a tail any pointers

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:22 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Don't start it to early and get it afraid of a caged coon. I just trained my first Coonhound this year and I didn't show her a caged coon until she was 7 months old and only seen 4 caged coon a month apart before she started trailing. And now she's 14 months old. And finds and trees by herself and has never hunted with another dog. It took me having a lot of doubts with her not progressing. But when she did, it almost happened overnight. I wouldn't have done it any other way. If I ever get to train another I would do it the same way.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:39 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I'm supposed to take her tonight an run with another walker female that's a yr u think it's a good idea

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:42 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

How old is your pup?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:37 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

18 weeks female

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6