It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:12 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: South Carolina
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:55 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I am looking for information on coon hunting in South Carolina
is all the land lease locked or are there plenty of places to hunt what are the hunting dates and running dates
any other helpful information like gun laws or dog laws
thank you

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject: South Carolina
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:26 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Scdnr website has the dates for seasons and maps of the game management land. Some named game management areas has rules about whether you can have a rifle or shotgun only. In the upstate game management is hard hunting especially by this time of season. I believe kill season ends March 1. Private land can be hunted year round dogs only.

Post subject: Re: South Carolina
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:13 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Thanks i was down to Grand America and enjoyed my stay I am thinking about moving south again would like to find some place nice to train hounds I left Mississippi 08 after Katrina cleaned me out in 05 looking for a place where i can avoid tornadoes and hurricanes

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:53 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

There are are more coon in the low country like Orangeburg. At least that is what I have seen on Facebook groups. I live at the edge of the mountains and only hunt game management land. The flatter land gets over hunted. To be honest I mainly just possum hunt now. I just like working with the dogs. If you get private land to hunt you can do alright here too. It's just hard to find larger tracks of land.
This year was my first trip to the grand American and I enjoyed it too. A lot of people and a lot of dogs lol.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:11 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

i thank you for your information i will be checking SC DNR web site for info since i only hunt coon with a 22 ,
i love to hear the hounds work to me it like a song
i only hunt and kill what i am going to eat so possum is out i tried to cook one 30 years ago but the dogs would not even eat it it was nice of you to respond thank you again phil

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:40 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I'm pretty much in the middle between the mountains and the low country. I live 5 min from Sumter National Forrest so I hunt it a lot you can start running dogs on it Sept. 1st and season starts Sept. 15th. SC is a neat place to hunt hounds because most places you can test your hounds in swamps one night and then turn around and hunt the hills and hollers the next night with out much travel involved. Most guys including myself are careful in low country during the warmer months but when it gets cold there's some awesome hunting down there in that part of the world. SC also has a nice State Coon Hunters Assc. with plenty of great clubs scattered across the state so I'm sure where ever you may end up you should have no problem finding one filled with fellow hunters to get you going down here with us. Good luck