CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:30 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

:| I notice several hunters on coon hunting websites say they put a bullet in a mean dogs head. I'm gonna call B.S. On not being able to clean up a mean dog. With the wealth of info on the web and some brain power and common sense, I think you can clean up a mean dog. The hardest dog I ever trained was an extremely shy female, and I finally gave her away, cause if she didn't tree you couldn't catch her.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:46 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I'm not going to say you can't train or brake a mean dog. I think you can brake anythings spirit. The question becomes is it worth the risk. I've personally seen good dogs snap and tear into people. I've seen pictures and stories of dogs snapping and taking someones face off while they were bent over feeding them.

If a dog is already mean the probability of that happening is just that much greater. God forbid they get a hold of a child. Is it worth it?

If you do manage to brake/train them what kind of a dog are you going to get? There is nothing that says your are going to end up with a good hound. You could end up with just the other end of the problems.

I have personally put down a good dog that just snapped on my mother one day and if it hadn't been for the dishwasher door it would have torn her to shreds. That dog was a good dog before that. Could it have been fixed? We'll never know but to me it was not worth the risk.

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:07 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Yes, the dog you mentioned sounds like something snapped in his brain. I'm talking about a dog that's not mean till he gets on the tree. Being possessive of the tree. I got an English dog, that I messed up and praised him on the tree to much and it made him possessive over the tree.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:01 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

That I would think could be broken or at least calmed down a little. I would try hunting him with a shy dog that will back off. Then when you get there lead that dog into the tree and pet them both up at the same time. Might help the shy dog too. Basically I wouldn't send him with another dog that's going to stand its ground and get in a fight before you get there.

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:10 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Smozzy at one time I thought like u and I was wrong. I had a possessive dog
Like u described and I did tone it down and it pretty much broke it but at the age of 5 I could no longer hunt her with any male dogs or she would go after them. Just before she turned 7 I had to put her down. I raised my voice to her one day and she started growling and baring teeth, haired stood straight up. That was the last straw. At that time my son was 3 and it wasn't worth the risk. Looking back I should have never taken the chance and was dumb for thinking I could break her. That was my favorite dog I've ever owned by the way. No matter how much u love em or how good they hunt they are still dogs.