CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: What's the possibility
PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:47 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Of a dog starting to run coyotes .. Is it a good possibly or not .. I been hunting my pup alone and the other night before it got real cold I heard him circle around and I got 300 yards from him and heard it coming 100 yards from him and it was coming right to me .. I saw it kinda looked like a yote and there was two of them I just saw a glimpse of one and it could have been a deer but I ain't sure .. If he was running two would they not turn on him and try to fight him . and is it possible that he might start running them .. I've heard u can't break one if it starts running a yote . thanks I don't know if I need to cull him or not he was doing good this year he is 20 months old

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:21 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I would think the coy would turn on him but I'd like to see what other people say

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:39 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Me too kinda got me shook ! Love my dog when they do stupid stuff its about like your ol lady cheating on ya with another woman it just don't make since lol

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:36 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

They can totally be broke if yotes, I would just avoid that spot for a while. There's less yotes then coon usually, so as long as you keep him in coon he should forget about chasing them yotes. He will be fine. Yes a yote will turn and fight if its a lone dog trailing them.

Sent from my Desire HD using Ohub Campfire mobile app

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:17 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

He was alone and I know there was two of something might have been a deer but almost sure It was coyotes ..I thought they would have turned and fought

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:52 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

I've had coyotes come in to dogs trailing but they didn't try to fight, just ran circles around like they were trying to get the dogs to follow them. You should be able to break him off em but sometimes once they get something in their mind that they want, it's hard to break. Buddy of mine had his dog bark at a yote they passed on the road, he whipped her good for it but still to this day she'll rig one out of the truck but wont run em.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:07 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I used to have a dohoney breed walker male that loved to run yote. At the time it surprised me he would run them solo but now looking back after all the times they have circled me walking out and come in on my dogs treed I wish he was still around I bet they didn't know what to think when he barked back and put a fire underem! !

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:35 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

i got a old dog here that use to run them.she would run the fire out of it for a while then i reckon the coyote would get tired and stop running then then she go to baying,after a few mintues the coyote would take off running again and she would be right behind it.i figured out what she was doing,so i started shocking her when i heard her bay.ive never had a dog hurt by coyotes,maybe these around here are smaller.ive had other dogs run right close to a pack of em before and all the coyotes did was just bark and the dogs never paid them no mind.ive had coyotes come in close when my dogs was treed,i threw a rock at em and ran them off lol.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:57 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

I hate to cull him but I will ... I took him again last night and he treed a coon but in my mine that font make him broke from it I guess we will have to see what happens thanks for replying

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:40 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I have only had yotes to grab my dogs treed from their privates and hind legs. The coyote in my spots are raised behind subdivisions and eat dogs and cats for food. My neighbor had his 10 month old Dalmatian killed last summer by them. Found most of him. My neighbor let him out to pee and they got him. Coyote used to run off when you got close or hollered or threw rocks but lately they been standing their ground which ain't good. Thats just my experience but I do feel you could break one. I know when my male would run them I could hear them barking back and forth so I knew what he was after. That may not be the case in your situation. I got rid of my male because he was way to gritty. He loved to fight... anything so running yote was his wish come true.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:20 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

I thought I read somewhere the yotes would turn and bark but these was getting out of there . we will see I'm going riding around trying to find one to throw out on but u never see the dang things

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:52 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Well guys I took my pup out last night and he ran what ever it was again ... Its not looking good for him last three nights out he isn't treeing coons he is running either deer or yote .. Do u think turning a few coons out on him until I get me a shocker will get him back on track I'm sure it couldn't hurt him right

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:25 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I would definitely be in the market for a good e-collar. What have you done as far as trying to break him off the junk?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:51 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Well the first two times he done it I thought since they are rutting right now it might have been a coon but now I know so I cut him off last night and had a good switch and went to town led him in the opposite direction. And he run it again Lol I think the only option with this mule is the Remington maybe I hope not cause he was such a good dog until cold weather got in

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:15 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Hard to agree or disagree since I dont know anything about the dog but would encourage you to be patient and consistent with him. If it only took one whipping then everybody would have good dogs if you see what I'm saying good luck with him.