CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:06 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I have a 2yr old I didn't get to hunt last year do to medical reasons. He is crazy over caged coon but I don't have an old dog to hunt him with. When i take him out he hits track but moves very slow and gets hung up in tree tops for a long time any ideas

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:14 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

THE SAME THING HAPPENED TO my sisters 3 year old walker. she wasnt into coonhuntin like she said she was so her dog stayed on the chain...then when she finally decided to take him out the next coon season, he did the same as your dog is doing now...
My step-dad caught some cage coons and turned them out on him and let him run and chase it then tree it whenever the coon climbed. this notched up her dog real good then turned around and sold him for $600 when she got him for free when he was a little over a year. it worked for my sisters dog , maybe it will help yours...
hope this is helpful.

*above* my English/Walker cross.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:46 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

wvhunter5 wrote:
I have a 2yr old I didn't get to hunt last year do to medical reasons. He is crazy over caged coon but I don't have an old dog to hunt him with. When i take him out he hits track but moves very slow and gets hung up in tree tops for a long time any ideas

another dog will not teach him to move tracks any faster alone. all that happens is the young dog learns to lift its head and depend on the more experianced dog to figure out the lose and then him follow. the only thing a caged coon, a released coon or hunting with another dog does is expose the pup or young dog to coon and make them want a coon bad enough to try and track it and try and tree it. once they will try they should be hunted alone.
he has to learn the track sense on his own to be able to do it on his own.
just because a dog can run and tree an easy coon or a released coon does not mean its gonna run a coon in the timber the same way. these coon on thier own turf do not run and climb like housecats. he is in the real world of coonhunting now. the only way he will learn to figure out the math is to let him keep trying. young dogs do not finish all tracks they try to move. he has to learn the trailing, drifting and moving out part of tracking by his self. he will get better and better and finish more and more tracks with enough woods time and experiance. its gonna take patience on your part. but in the long run you hopefully have a dog that can finish and tree any coon he gets after and be consistant doing it. dogs are born with tracking instincts, but they have to learn track sense. you could put him in easy spots and let him do it on easier terrain and easier coon, but sooner or later he is gonna have to work the rougher spots and learn the track sense for those harder math problems..

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:28 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

thanks for the advice i will just keep taking him out like i been, have noticed first few times stayed on tree top now he finally gets that figured out just takes a long time

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:47 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

alot of dogs have trouble in tree tops.
a young dog just starting or pen stale from not hunting i would find some easier woods till it gets to finishing more of the tracks it starts. kinda like a basic math class. got to crawl before you walk and walk before you run.
once a dog is older and ready for harder problems - if i see its weak in an area,say tree tops, then that is where i will hunt it. only way for it to get better at it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:11 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Im kinda in the same situation as you even though my pup is only 11 months old. I have spent Hours in the woods with my pup just letting her figure new things out.While this was very boring i did see improvement each night and hoping it gets much better. it helped me to hunt her alone also i tend not to be as patient with her if i take someone with me and it requires alot of patients

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:52 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Is it bad to run two hound together that r both about the same Huntin level? I got a yr old female that works the roll cage hard but just messes around when Huntin with older dog. N a got a 2 yr old male that hunts well with an older dog but pickin up the habits the old dog has n I don't want that so I quit runnin then with him. Didn't know if I ran my two dogs together if they would catch on just as fast as Huntin alone

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:34 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I will run pups or young dogs together as long as they don't cause me any trouble. I feel they can help each other. I will single them out later, to make sure they can do it on there own.

Post subject: dog slow on track
PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:12 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I have a 2 year old that doesn't move a track very fast. she is half blue tick and half English. I was wondering if they eventually get faster on track or she will be like this forever. she will also take a track we get ready to catch her that my walker wont take so it must be really cold. I was curious if anyone had any suggestion of what I can do with her

Post subject: Re: dog slow on track
PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:52 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Hunt her alone 30 nights in a row. If you don't like what ya see by then, she will pry never get any better.

Sent from my Desire HD using Ohub Campfire mobile app

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:21 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Tracking will usually get better the more you hunt a dog.. But you will run into some that bo-hoo and cant move a track. Because they don't have a very good nose.. Warm or hot nosed dogs cant run a real cold track so they might have trouble from time to time...Cold nosed dogs can work out a track but it can take time. Depending on how cold it is...A lot of dogs today are warm or hot nosed..

Nite Ch Nite Time Cheat
Nite Ch Goose Creek Little Tina (1 w GN)
Ch Wild Rivers Indiana ShowQueen
Wild Rivers Machine Gun Kelly
Wild Rivers Stylish Showgirl (Tide X Queen)
English
Gr Ch Nite Ch 'pr' Twin CK Lady
Wild Rivers Main Street Hooker
Black n Tan
Nite Ch 'pr' Black River Boy (3 w to Grand)
Ch Wild Rivers Whole Lotta Rosie
Wild Rivers Black Pearl

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:37 am 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

[quote="toe cutter"]alot of dogs have trouble in tree tops. r
a young dog just starting or pen stale from not hunting i would find some easier woods till it gets to finishing more of the tracks it starts. kinda like a basic math got to crawl before you walk and walk before you run.
once a dog is older and ready for harder problems - if i see its weak in an area,say tree tops, then that is where i will hunt it. only way for it to get better at it.[/quoteg ]

I have a dog that I started trying to sell last season at the end of March . He was 2 years old but I did consider him finished . Low and behold, a fellow saved his pennies all summer, not having to buy dog feed . He was tried out at the end of October. He got on 4 tracks for a mile or two but never put a tree on the end.
I realize he spent the summer in my buddy's yard and got fat but so what ? this is first of November, coons don't run real hard here at this time of year . This dog is fixing to get hunted in the marsh . and we will see I fat as anything to do with it quick.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:31 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I might try a few trun out coon on this dog to see where he is on a real hot track verses a feeder track.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:22 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Well boy's I got two young ones I'm training, correction..taking out to learn. One will high ball a track, other one is slow. Kinda'
like that race between turtle and rabbit. Well Sir, highball will be tracking, backward, sideways, and at times I think up-side down. That slow one...sooner or later she'd be under the tree waiting on highball to get there.

I pleasure hunt, so give me that slow one who figures it out RIGHT and learns from it.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:27 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

I agree Larry, it don't bother me a bit to have a slower track dog that gets it right in the end.