CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:11 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re Casting
PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:38 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

I have a young 16 month old male that is fairly laid back, but seems to be a slowing mature pup. He hunts well out of the box, but after he trees his first coon, he will just stand around. If I put him in the box and drive down the road, he will go tree another coon. If I try to recast him he will just stand around again. I tried searching for other posts but didn't have any luck finding any. I don't understand what he is missing or how to fix it.
I have a couple pups here and I will let them out to play, if I'm not hunting them that night. Could this possibly be holding his progression back?
Sent from my Desire HD using Ohub Campfire mobile app

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject: Re: Re Casting
PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:28 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Are you walking him away from the tree or re-casting from it ?
In most UKC hunts they'll walk a couple hundred yards before re-cast & in PKC they walk 1 minute & that's fast as you can walk for a minute with the guys I hunt with.
Pleasure hunting I just walk enough away that I can tell the dog/dogs lost interest in the last tree.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:57 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Yeah I walk him away, and then let him go and he will just stand there

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:10 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Maximus13 wrote:
Yeah I walk him away, and then let him go and he will just stand there

have patience,, ease him on in there a lil bit at a time. same as you would a pup you are trying to get to go hunting. you may even have to walk him across another track. but eventually he will see if he goes on in he can find another coon.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:17 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Not trying to jack this post but I've had a similar issue, pup takes off the first 15 min after the tailgate is dropped if she can't find a track she comes back and hangs out and won't get much further than 60yds. After she trees the first time she's a little more hyped up again until she gets bored and can't find another track. She is being walk hunted also. Toe cutter I love reading your advise, any insight?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:21 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Yeah that's kinda what I was thinking. I'm also trying to keep his hunts shorter, ending on a good note. I'm also trying some higher octane food. He is a bigger hound, so I think that's part of it as well. I have heard from several people that his line of hounds are slower maturing. I was encouraged last night, I put him in thinner in coon, and noticed he was hunting the area more effectively and efficiently.
I think its just a matter of more patience on my end.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:26 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Sounds a lot like mine. I have noticed with mine, a heavy switch did no good. But a light switch and a command, worked well. Now I just can use the command. Over time you will see when they can be pushed and when its just time to put them back in the box. I find its better just to call it a night, rather then getting frustrated or upset. I am now hunting two pups leaving one in the box. I find this allows me to hunt as late as I want, and don't have to worry about pushing a pup too hard, and can leave them wanting more.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:13 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

dswish wrote:
Not trying to jack this post but I've had a similar issue, pup takes off the first 15 min after the tailgate is dropped if she can't find a track she comes back and hangs out and won't get much further than 60yds. After she trees the first time she's a little more hyped up again until she gets bored and can't find another track. She is being walk hunted also. Toe cutter I love reading your advise, any insight?

getting a pup that can tree a coon to hunt out is one of the most frustrating stages of training. that's when it really takes the patience on your part. you know the dog can tree a coon or another coon if it would just go look deeper in that woods.
walk them on to a place in the woods that is where the coon are more apt to be. down between a creek and the corn field, over near the pot hole swamp, anywhere between where they sleep and where they eat. then sit, let the dog do what its gonna do. short of letting the dog make a nest in the weeds to lay down I just sit. don't talk to it, don't pet it, don't shine your light around. the dog has to get bored of hanging out with you. it may take many nights of sitting and the dog standing there looking back at you. I don't know how old these pups are or how much hunting they have had, but re casting a dog is a stage of the training I start when the dog is past the stage of treeing an easy coon. when they are just starting I want them to know that the tree is the end of the dance. as they mature and start consistently treeing coon then I progress them on to learning they can go deeper and find another dance. its a progression of different stages of experiences in hunting to get to the finished dog you want. don't try and push too much into their pea brain at one time. work towards the next stage slowly. don't stay in one stage till it becomes a habit with the dog (like walking it) but don't move so fast the dog gets confused. when I go from taking a dog off a treed coon and walk it to another part of the woods for another go at it, I leash it and walk it. the dog will quickly pick it up without you even being aware you are training it that when you cut it loose off the leash its time to go hunt. in time you will be able to walk it 5 feet from the tree and when you unhook the leash and the dog hears that clasp snap it will know its time to go get another. its just lil stuff like that you do that progresses the pup toward the next step. walk them away from the tree on the leash, when you get to the good spot let it go, or when you see the dogs excitement level is coming back turn it loose. many younger dogs have to be given a short amount of time to get their brain working again after coming off the excitement buzz they get when treed. both these young dogs just don't know yet that there is more than the coon they treed out there. so after the treeing of that coon they are kinda confused on just what you are expecting them to do. you have to slowly bring them around to understanding and seeing the big picture.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:45 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

That makes a lot sense, thanks for the awesome info. I think you hit the nail on the head.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:38 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I agree it is very hard to get some pups to understand what get ahead means and some pups just have a little extra drive about them and will cast right back out. but your pup will get it try to hunt where there will be more coon within the same area you are hunting your pup.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:37 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Yup that was what worked I started hunting him in the thickest coon I could find. Didn't take more then a week or two for him to catch on.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:17 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Toe Cutter...Glad 2 see u took my advice about posting. You are helping, so keep it up!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:13 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Yes TC has some of the best posts on here! I have learned a ton of information, and really appreciate his willingness to help. It's shame people don't take the time to give updates on some of these threads where they asked for help on an area of there training, and what ended up working.