CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:23 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: why such high prices
PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:00 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

why do most people want such high prices for dogs. i undestand there is alot of time in making a good coon hound but dont undestand why there arnet any dogs that people like me can afford. i have a good job and so does my wife but i cant afford to spend 600 or more for a dog its absolutly ridiclous ive been looking at older dogs trying to find my 10 year old son one to start hunting and nothing a working man with a family can afford. like the grand night dogs that are for sale the money has already been made back but still asking 1000 for one makes no sense to me. some one please help me understand why prices aare so high

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject: Re: why such high prices
PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:16 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Ton of time invested into the dog. Guess it depends on the dollar figure you think your times worth. Why would someone put 100's of hours into a dog then give him away? Just the way I see it. Have you owned or tried raising a dog from a pup? It not always easy

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:19 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Buying dogs is like buying a vehicle u get what u pay for and a really good dog can be hard to come by.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:23 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

There's also a free hound section on here. Always be weary of a cheap/free dog. THERES A REASON ITS FREE but who knows maybe you'll get lucky

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:30 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Tried tbe free hounds section was a 7 year old on there person wouldn't reply or respond in any way isn't the first time ist been like that when trying to contact about a dog I don't mind driving or paying for one but just can't afford some of the prices

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:53 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

You can find a young dog for the amount you wanna pay. I'd suggest a pup...it'll take time patience and lots of woods time but it's worth it. For the money you wanna pay you can get a "started" dog. Lol but you don't know what bone head "started" it. Or what bad habits it "started"...ya know?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:07 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

ive done the started dog thing and the pup thing im new to coonhunting and not sure how to finish or start a dog and dont have anyone that wants to help. im not worried about a dog for me i have a 10 year old son that is showing interest in hunting and trying to find him something that will go and do what its meant to do to further his interest i know how kids are they get bored and im afarid he will lose interest with a pup or statred dog

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:54 am 
IP:
Site Admin
Site Admin

Msmith82 wrote:
why do most people want such high prices for dogs. i undestand there is alot of time in making a good coon hound but dont undestand why there arnet any dogs that people like me can afford. i have a good job and so does my wife but i cant afford to spend 600 or more for a dog its absolutly ridiclous ive been looking at older dogs trying to find my 10 year old son one to start hunting and nothing a working man with a family can afford. like the grand night dogs that are for sale the money has already been made back but still asking 1000 for one makes no sense to me. some one please help me understand why prices aare so high

Msmith82, dog prices are no different than everyday prices on products. That is why they sell products from basic edition to ultimate edition to try and market to different price level consumers can afford.

I'll give you some examples.

1) Samsung TVs.

You can buy a 55" basic model Samsung 60 mhz TV for $699.

Or

You can buy a 55" model Samsung 120 mhz Smart TV with for $1299.

Or

You can buy a 55" model Samsung 240 mhz Smart 3D TV with for $1699

2) Cars

You can buy the basic option for one price

Or

You can buy same car with more options for a higher price

OR

You can buy the same car fully loaded for even higher than the other 2 models.

Heck, go look at the coon lights. You will pay from one extreme to the other. Alot of the higher end lights cost more than the normal pup price.

Though the phrase is cliché, most of the time it is true, sometimes you pay for what you get.

Let me ask you this. If you bought a pup for $250, spent two years training it and finished it out - countless hours in the woods, countless gas, wear and tear on vehicle, and etc... - would you sell it for less than $600?

Or let me put it to like this - You bought an old vintage car for $1,500 and spent 2 years restoring it. Would you turn around and sell it for less than $2,000?

I don't get where you claim GRNITE dogs have had their money made back. Unless they were hunting Money Hunts or being Studded out consistantly - but lets say they did make their money back - why should someone sell for chump change? Owner owns the dog, he can sell for what it wants to sell it for.

If you are a seller, you only need 1 buyer to agree with your price, not 100 buyers.

Coon hunting will always have the "haves and have nots". Some can afford the prices for dogs and gears, some can not.

Here is what I posted on another forum not too long ago to someone that said the Garmin's shouldn't be allowed because some don't own one.

Quote:
Originally posted by Buckshot

Quote:

Personally I don't think they should be allowed because the there are still a lot of hunters that don't use garmins and it wouldn't be fair to them. I have a couple of buddies that don't have one. They still use the old beep systems. JMO

HUH??????

Not fair?

Where does it end?

One cast member doesn't have any chaps, all the rest does.......So are the chaps not allowed with your reasoning?????? As you said, "not fair" to the guy who doesn't have chaps.

One cast member has cheap 6v light and another cast member has a brand new LED light that outreaches that cheap 6v 2-1.............So is the better light not allowed with your reasoning?????? As you said, "not fair" to the guy who doesn't have a good light.

What about dog power??????? One cast member doesn't have the dog power and the rest of the cast does. Again, boohoo "not fair".

Coon hunting will always have the "haves and have nots". -- JUST LIKE LIFE IN GENERAL.

Some are driving $30,000 trucks to hunt out, some have to drive $2,000 clunkers. Some are buying the newest and lasted light each time they are released, others are still hanging on to their 10 year 5100 light. Some are using the latest GPS tracking systems, some are using old school radio tracking systems.

No reason for UKC to start dicating their rules and policies because of the "haves and have nots".

You think coon hunting is an expensive sport? Look at the prices of hunting Gun Dogs and hunting Labs just as pups with NO TRAINING. Now price a finished one out.

I understand that is frustrating for you seeing the prices of finished or well started hounds............that is the way it goes - that is the cost of coon hunting. Just like life in general with everday products.

HuntingBassets.com - A site dedicated to hunting with Basset Hounds

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:37 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

i understand your point buckshot. things are expenzive any more and not gonna get any cheaper but what has happened to this world when you cant even afford to intrduce kids it a past time that can keep them out of trouble. most average people cant afford to spend every night in the woods training a dog. i understand the part about buying a pup and training it and the cost involved but if it was my dog registered or grade i wouldnt wanna charge somebody 600 for a 300 dollar dog no matter how much time and effort and gas money was spent on it. im almost to the point of not wanting to coon hunt at all because the prices are over rated. i have an old tracker tracking system and homemade dog box because i cant afford to buy the fancy stuff everyone else has but i dont care about that its just stuff but when you cant find a good dog at a decent price thats just crazy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:53 am 
IP:
Site Admin
Site Admin

Msmith82, these crazy prices have been around a LONG TIME. This is nothing new in the coon hunting world. My dad would tell me the prices that his Uncle would pay for hounds back in the 50's - it put him in the dog house with his wife.

Buckshot wrote:
This was scanned from a March 1967 issue of the Hunting Dog Magazine.

It is an article on the prices of coon dogs.

Click to Enlarge

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:05 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Any kind of hunting with dogs isn't cheap I would say coon and squirrel r the most I have a walker 1500 wouldn't touch and she is a ntch amd a 1 year old started walker that will run and tree a hot coon by herself and I have been offered 800 for her amd turned it down. With the money you have my 2 cents would be buy a pup for 200 and find a old pup trainer u can find them for a reasonable price and use that old dog to train your pup.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:11 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I know a dog is only worth what someone will pay for it and you can charge what you want for one. My point is everybody wants to pass this sport on to there kids and future generations then you should help do that by not askin aso much for a dog that a father can't afford to find one for his son I have lost money on stuff before because out of the kindness of my heart to help somone out. I'm not one to ask for a hand out just something affordable for other people

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:39 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I understand you wanna spend time and pass something down. Hound hunting is not a cheap sport. I don't think it ever has been. If you don't know about training a pup i'd suggest getting a "walk with wick" book and reading it with you son. It might help gauge his interest level.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:13 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

When I started I bought a 200 dollar pup a 200 dollar tracker classic amd a 100 dollar light amd I started and trained him by myself not having a clue with I was doing. (Mountain cur) the first year he was 8-11 months old during season I killed 32 squirrels and 21 coons with him I sold everything I skinned the coons out and sold them and took that money and a little from working and put that into another pup a better light and trained her and killed a little over 200 squirrels and 50 coons the 2nd year and again put that money back into hunting. I was 14 years old and no one gave me any help on buying anything or training and now I have 6 dogs 3 curs and 3 walkers and have payed over 1000 dollars for a few dogs and from my stand point y should I sell a 1500 dollar dog for 500 dollars bc someone wants him. Like I said b4 hound hunting isn't cheap. If u r looking for a cheaper sport I would look into deer hunting or something like that. And I hope u find someone that's will sell u a good dog for cheap but most people r like me and can't see spending 1000 dollars on a dog plus feed and gas to hunt and turn around and sell him for 500 dollars. But like I said good luck to u amd your son

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:29 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

dont know why i even ask the question beacuse nobody has yet to see the point of this. there has never and will never be a dog that is worth 1000 in my opinon not trying to make any one mad but i dont have anything else to say about it. im still trying to figure out why people cant help get kids involved in this sport by not charging the high prices