CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:55 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:33 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I have a 15 month old walker pup that hates coons and was running and treeing a coon I cut out to em but one night we went and he wouldn't leave my side! He was doing great and I had a lot of faith but now he just looks at me! I took em to the vet to make sure he wasnt sick he checked out fine. I know young dogs take a long time to get going but 3-5 nights ib the woods with him not hunting is getting old and hard on the wallet with gas. Any help is appreciated!!!!!!!!!!

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:39 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Would appreciate an answer cause my dog is 13 months and was doing great but now she's doing this?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:55 am 
IP:
Site Admin
Site Admin

Here is fact that alot don't want to face - sometimes dogs just cut it.

If your consistantly hunting the dog 3-5 days a weeks and he doesn't want to hunt, chances are you have one that just doesn't cut it.

Even dogs that are out of ALL GRAND pedigrees don't make it.

In my opinion, being coon crazy over turned out or cage coon doesn't mean a hill of bean. Known plenty of people whose Yorkie, Dachshund, Chihuahua, and etc... that were coon crazy too - But they were not coondogs.

In my opinion, what it sounds like is you over done the turned out coon to him. Instead of him hunting and going to find his own wild coon, you gave him easy turned out coons.

HuntingBassets.com - A site dedicated to hunting with Basset Hounds

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:53 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

were these dogs going hunting good by themselves and being hunted and just stopped going ?
or is it they would tree released coon and now that you have started hunting them they wont go hunting ?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:23 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Treed a coon that was let out I guess because he knew it was in my pick up and once I singled him out he wont hunt

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:33 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

possum buster wrote:
I have a 15 month old walker pup that hates coons and was running and treeing a coon I cut out to em but one night we went and he wouldn't leave my side! He was doing great and I had a lot of faith but now he just looks at me! I took em to the vet to make sure he wasn't sick he checked out fine. I know young dogs take a long time to get going but 3-5 nights in the woods with him not hunting is getting old and hard on the wallet with gas. Any help is appreciated!!!!!!!!!!

I'm 84 years old and this has happened all of my life!!! A pups starts out like it's going to be a world beater, and then just quits. another pup won't do anything until it's over a year old and will start and make an outstanding dog. If something happens to cause a pup to quit. it can be corrected by careful handling;but; if it just quits for no reason you can hang it up

SO==possum buster==from my experience, if you can find a reason why the dog's doing like he does, you have something to work on!!! If there is no logical reason!!! i would start spending my money working with another pup.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:08 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

possum buster wrote:
Treed a coon that was let out I guess because he knew it was in my pick up and once I singled him out he wont hunt

you have me confused a bit here , you say singled out,
pick one,1,2 or 3.
1) he has been hunted with other dogs and you are trying to get him to go alone now?
2) he would hunt out alone into the woods while coonhunting before and now he won't ?
3) the dog has only had released coon and he has never been in the woods hunting other than for released coon and you are now taking him to the woods to do it in real life coonhunting and he wont go hunt...?

you're not gonna flip a young pup that has never been real life coon hunted in there and have them dive into the dark to go find one. I don't care how many released coon he has treed.. that's just pre training. he has to learn that thar are coon in them thar hills before he will dive off in there to find one. its gonna take many many more than 3 - 5 nights in the woods to get a young hound to hunt out like you want. you cant just turn them out and stand there like you would a full fledged finished coonhound and expect them to go get a coon treed..
use the search, there is more than one thread that has advice on how to advance a pup from pre training to going hunting in real life coon hunting conditions. and also threads that have advice on how to advance a pup that has been hunted with another dog to the pup now hunting alone.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:42 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

toe cutter wrote:
possum buster wrote:

you have me confused a bit here , you say singled out,
pick one,1,2 or 3.
1) he has been hunted with other dogs and you are trying to get him to go alone now?
2) he would hunt out alone into the woods while coonhunting before and now he won't ?
3) the dog has only had released coon and he has never been in the woods hunting other than for released coon and you are now taking him to the woods to do it in real life coonhunting and he wont go hunt...?

you're not gonna flip a young pup that has never been real life coon hunted in there and have them dive into the dark to go find one. I don't care how many released coon he has treed.. that's just pre training. he has to learn that thar are coon in them thar hills before he will dive off in there to find one. its gonna take many many more than 3 - 5 nights in the woods to get a young hound to hunt out like you want. you cant just turn them out and stand there like you would a full fledged finished coonhound and expect them to go get a coon treed..
use the search, there is more than one thread that has advice on how to advance a pup from pre training to going hunting in real life coon hunting conditions. and also threads that have advice on how to advance a pup that has been hunted with another dog to the pup now hunting alone.

Toe Cutter; you've kinda got me confused now. are you saying that all pups will make good Coon dogs if trained right???? In all of my years, i have never heard anyone say that before.or even believe it I guess your never too old to learn

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:53 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

plottten wrote:
Toe Cutter; you've kinda got me confused now. are you saying that all pups will make good Coon dogs if trained right???? In all of my years, i have never heard anyone say that before.or even believe it I guess your never too old to learn

no I did not say that. I don't know how you got that out of what I posted.

Last edited by toe cutter on Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:20 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:06 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

possum buster how did your dog do with other dogs? how many times have you took him by hisself?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:36 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

toe cutter wrote:
plottten wrote:

no I did not say that. I don't know how you got that out of what I posted.

I deciphered the last paragraph of your post.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:55 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

He will leave for ahwile with other dogs but comes back shortly and when hes alone he wont go 20 foot from me

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:59 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Maybe you could take him out in the daytime and see if he wonders off. Then try it at night. I think you have to find a way to build his confidence and being alone in the woods.

Sent from my Desire HD using Ohub Campfire mobile app

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:14 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I git em out every now and then to run around and get a change of scenery and hes like a lit his day on fire he hauls out of the pin and dont come back till I call em. I think hes a moron!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:43 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I'm kinda new at this ,but i was thinking to build his confidence take him to the same woods mutiple times day and night until he's not scared of the dark then try a new spot again just my way of thinking.