CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: older dog question?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:43 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

My grandfather had an 8 year old walker that for as long as I can remember was a completely straight put the meat up a tree kinda dog. pop got sick about a year ago and the dog has been in the kennel for a whole year. I recently acquired him due to pops health be so bad. i took him out the last few night and he was would strike pretty and tree nice but me nor the guys i was with could find a coon. i was just wondering could be his problem. is he just rusty or has he just forgot exactly what he is after. Thanks

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject: Re: older dog question?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:55 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

could be he is rusty or it could be you're just not as good at finding the coon as pops is. 8)
keep hunting the dog and he should come back around for you just fine. cant fault the dog when the leaves are on and you don't know for sure its slick.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:05 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Agreed with toe cutter, how good and long did you look for the coon? Looked up a tree for 20 minutes or better before it was spotted

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Ohub Campfire mobile app

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:32 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

i think the dog just needs hunted, he aint forgot how to tree a coon.when i was little i asked my daddy,how come you always find the coon before i do? he said boy you got to know what to look for.he was right.lol

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:48 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

skeets wrote:
i think the dog just needs hunted, he aint forgot how to tree a coon.when i was little i asked my daddy,how come you always find the coon before i do? he said boy you got to know what to look for.he was right.lol

You have to do something to make the Coon curious.He will look to try and figure what your doing==AND WHAM-O==there he is!!! At times he want look again; but it makes no difference because you know the dog was right.

WIREGRASS GEORGIA HUNTER

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:32 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

i normally spend around 30-45 mins searching for the ole coon. we have squalled a many of tree but never have seen any coons. but oddly with my younger dog we find about 70% of the coons he trees in about 5 mins. but this older dog, i just am not very sure he is treeing coons. i hunt him about 5 nights a week for the last 2 months.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:23 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Hunt him with the
Young dog that trees
And u can find them
With

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:56 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

older dogs will lose their edge with age.. more so if they are laid up and not hunted regularly. it could be he is running what I call "ghost coon". a lot of them that get to this stage will never come back around to be what they were. sorry to knock your coon finding skills. I didn't realize you have hunted him for 2 months regularly.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:31 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

in a couple months the leaves will be gone and you will know for sure. If the coon has been treed before he may never look. Try using a colored lens and start shining a long way from the tree. I like squalling and shaking vines or a small tree if its a stubborn one that wont look. but i would give the dog the benefit of the doubt til you can see for sure

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:29 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

In the summertime you need a red or amber lite to shine a tree. When you blow a coon squaller. If theres any vines close or on them tree shake them it can really help..You can usually find a coon real quick if you do it right. But coon that have been treed before don't look much if at all.. Dogs usually get better with some age on them..My best dogs look good up to 10-12 years old then at close to 12 they start going down hill fast.. Thats dogs that have been taken care of and are healthy.. Cheap feed no shots or worming they usually don't live as long...Went hunting last night found coon in all 3 trees in less than 2-3 min.....

Nite Ch Nite Time Cheat
Nite Ch Goose Creek Little Tina (1 w GN)
Ch Wild Rivers Indiana ShowQueen
Wild Rivers Machine Gun Kelly
Wild Rivers Stylish Showgirl (Tide X Queen)
English
Gr Ch Nite Ch 'pr' Twin CK Lady
Wild Rivers Main Street Hooker
Black n Tan
Nite Ch 'pr' Black River Boy (3 w to Grand)
Ch Wild Rivers Whole Lotta Rosie
Wild Rivers Black Pearl

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:47 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Kind of the same question here.....I have an 8 year old redbone, champion bloodline (timber chopper kennels) and when he was a pup (I was twelve) the best a twelve year old could.... i trained him and drug trails, made him swim, ect...and read a lot about how to train.....he got really good at tracking the trails id lay and always found the "coon". Hes a very smart dog. he's been out on a few squirrel hunts and 2 coon hunts, but due to a lack of anywhere to go he hasn't been out for coons in a few years......now I have a spot to hunt and i guess my question is, will he still no what to do after this long??? every few weeks he will tree something in my acre sized yard and he will stay by that tree howling till his voice is gone....he will stay there all day if you don't bring him in.....and that itself is a challenge, you have to drag him in......

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:50 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Jarrett

The dog is going to need a refresher coarse. Not saying you will have to start from scratch but you might need to.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:06 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

When I was a kid I could ride steady and do tricks on a bicycle. Haven't rode one in years so I know I couldn't do it as well as I used to. Once you learn to ride a bicycle you never forget. Hounds the same. They never forget how, but laid up for a long period they get rusty. If I started to ride a bicycle again I'm sure I'd get better at it. Get the message?

Now an old hound: Age effects everything and hounds are no exception. My hounds are well cared for but I've had them that lost eye sight, and smelling sense. Even had a hound that developed vertigo. No one can put an age number on when a hound can't. Depends on Mother Nature and that particular hound. The hound in question isn't that old. My bet, like everyone else's is rusty due to long lay up. Hunt him! With another hound would probably speed up his return.

Good Luck with him!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:55 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Ive seen older dogs that were set up a lot longer than a year. come right back in two or three weeks. They just needed the rust knocked off and tuned up but they haven't forgot what to do.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:32 am 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

Boonheir wrote:
My grandfather had an 8 year old walker that for as long as I can remember was a completely straight put the meat up a tree kinda dog. pop got sick about a year ago and the dog has been in the kennel for a whole year. I recently acquired him due tveo pops health be so bad. i took him out the last few night and he was would strike pretty and tree nice but me nor the guys i was with could find a coon. i was just wondering could be his problem. is he just rusty or has he just forgot exactly what he is after. Thanks

Mine did it when he got twelve. I would have kicked his old ars but it made me smile.t