CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:46 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:35 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

What do you all think?

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:40 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

in my opinion there are 2 reason a dog slick trees, either it has just fell short of finishing the track because the track goes on... or they ran the track backwards to the tree it came out of. what you describe is a different situation. for what ever reason its like his brain is cross threaded and stuck on tree mode. was the dog worked a lot with caged coon ? or worked a lot on treeing.. some dogs worked a lot on caged coon and/or someone trying to teach them to tree get so they will just grab the first tree they can get to as soon as they smell coon. I think what I would do is take the trees away. I would turn him into bean fields and cornfields trying to get him on running tracks. hopefully on hard running coon that wont come out and climb. the longer he has to run the track the better. may work may not.. his brain is locked up on the treeing part, this is the only thing I know of to turn him around for you. I don't think whipping him and sending him on will do anything with this dog. he wont have any idea why you are whipping him and you will just make him hard to catch.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:32 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

toe cutter wrote:
in my opinion there are 2 reason a dog slick trees, either it has just fell short of finishing the track because the track goes on... or they ran the track backwards to the tree it came out of. what you describe is a different situation. for what ever reason its like his brain is cross threaded and stuck on tree mode. was the dog worked a lot with caged coon ? or worked a lot on treeing.. some dogs worked a lot on caged coon and/or someone trying to teach them to tree get so they will just grab the first tree they can get to as soon as they smell coon. I think what I would do is take the trees away. I would turn him into bean fields and cornfields trying to get him on running tracks. hopefully on hard running coon that wont come out and climb. the longer he has to run the track the better. may work may not.. his brain is locked up on the treeing part, this is the only thing I know of to turn him around for you. I don't think whipping him and sending him on will do anything with this dog. he wont have any idea why you are whipping him and you will just make him hard to casomethingtch.

We think a lot alike. I hunt a offbreed now but I have had my share of early trreeerers that nevever made that fact a e a real dog. I don't have a clue how to cure a cacktraker. Ihave a chance to hunt in marshgrass where there areno trees there is nothing there to pull up short on nor to just lie about. What do you think ion admitting some breees want to tree quick and young and go to treeing and that we ought to recognox that fact and not mess with getting excited over a litttel puppy yapping upsomething?/

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:56 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

mr.bluecoonhunter the first dog i ever had to tree flying squirrels i thought he was just treeing slick until one night i could see them things flying around in top of the tree,i thought then thats what hes been treeing when i thought the tree was slick. he wasnt a hard tree dog but on what i thought was a slick tree he would blow the top out, and i understood he treed so hard cause he could see the squirrels.he was a mtn.cur so there bred to tree squirrels but i didnt want him messing with him,so when he treed and i saw the flying squirrel as soon as i could i snaped the lead to his collar and led him away all the while talking rough to him.i reckon i did this about 6 times and he never treed another flying squirrel that i know of.the cur i got now is worse about treeing them,hes right the opposite of the other dog,he dosent tree as good on a flying squirrel as he does a coon,so usually i know whats going on before i get to him.with him as soon as i get to the tree ill fuss at him and lead him away.hes not broke yet but i can see a big difference in him now then 6 months ago.if your dog is after coons and hes treeing them backwards then i really dont know what to tell you,i think thats more bred into a dog.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:14 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

grabbing slicks back to back to back only on full moonlit nights without taking a track in to them leads me to think the dog is treeing on bumps, nests or what ever that he can see on the trees.
coming up short or back tracking would show any night.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:32 am 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

bluecoonhunter wrote:
skeets wrote:
ive had several cur dogs to tree flying squirrels at night and it dont matter if the moons out or not. the first dog i had to tree flying squirrels wound up being the best coon dog i ever had.when he was a pup he would tree like the devil on some trees but i didnt see a coon after a while of this i got to looking closer and saw flying squirrels flying around,so when he treed after that if i saw a flying squirrel i would hook the lead to him and lead him off the tree and fuss at him i didnt have to whip him.it wasnt long before he never fooled with a flying squirrel again.i have a cur now that will tree them also but the more coons he trees the less flying squirrels hes messing with.tonight he was treeing up a hickory and thats were alot of flying squirrels are at and i was fixing to get on him but as i was looking i saw 2 coons in the tree lol.pet your dog when he trees a coon and fuss at him when you think its a squirrel.main thing is to hunt the hide off him and bond with your dog,when you become there best friend there more likely to want to listen and please you and there a lot easier to correct.

Thanks skeets I can't wait for the leaves to be gone so I know the truth. But do you think I should fuss at him when he doesn't run track and just falls treed? Or wait till the leaves are gone to do so?

When the leaves are gone it is a bit better. coons shot out regular have not had a chance to learn to not look at the light, on the other hand , those that get treed above a bucket all summer learn to look quick and they get named. The dog is leashed and patted and praised and they be gone soon. When the leaves are gone, look for toenails or ears or rings with a good bright light then. And particularly look over what part of a tree where you know the coon is liable to be. No use to wait 15 minutes messing around.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:08 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I believe he is treeing on bumps because the coons run for a very long time around here when it's bright at night. Had a old dog to run 1.5 miles one night before she finally lock down treed