CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:56 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Ok I have a 9 month old bluetick and I take him to the woods every day or so to run and explore. He trees caged coon and has treed our house cat (which idk what I should do about that or should I just be glad he's treeing?) And now when I take him he will tree randpm trees and I thought it was squirrels but I havnt seen a squirrel. What could he be doing?

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:24 pm 
IP:
Site Admin
Site Admin

It's possible he's unsure and not confident and hitting trees that coon have tapped.

HuntingBassets.com - A site dedicated to hunting with Basset Hounds

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:43 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Ok. He's treed coon we have released but not very long but now since he treed my cat he trees hard. I don't think there are coon in my back yard but 2 got loose so maybe they are back there. But people have told me atleast he's treeing and its easy to break him of cats and squirrels but idk what to do this is my first time training a dog

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:56 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

have you hunted him at night any ?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:57 pm 
IP:
Site Admin
Site Admin

I was under the impression when you said "And now when I take him he will tree randpm trees..." that you were taking him hunting. Didn't realize he was doing this in the backyard.

My guess if if he is doing that in the backyard, he has got in the habit of sight treeing which is why he is going to random trees.

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:10 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Ok. He's been hunted but not sense kill season and he wasn't doing any type of treeing then. He dosnt tree a lot of trees only like 2 or three at a time but I think you might be right. Any ideas on how I can fix this?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:33 pm 
IP:
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quit with the caged coon and start putting the dog in the timber regularly and hunt him.

I knew someone that messed with so many caged coons that his dog would go to random trees and look up treed and sniff for a few minutes then go about 10 foot to the next tree, do the same thing, and then the same thing, and etc... Did that at their house and when he started hunting the dog, as soon he released the dog into the woods. It's the like the dog became accustomed to a coon being right there and in one of the trees as it was messed with too many caged coons.

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:52 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

So just hunt him with older dogs or by himself?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:06 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Release a coon out in TIMBER, not your back yard at night, watch it and see where it is heading, then go get your pup (I would recommend using a different vehicle for transporting both animals). Wait 10-15 minutes and release that pup in the same area and see if he takes that track, if he does and finds the correct tree, praise him good, but if he trees on a random tree just for the hell of it, pull him off and try to get him back on the track again. I think your pup should be done with seeing a coon, meaning he knows what it looks like and what it smells like, so make him use his nose to find it.

Turnouts are great because you are the one deciding the age of the track. You can start out with 10 minutes then gradually move up to 45 if you want, but once that pup starts using that nose and knows what you want him looking for, the next step is simple; take him hunting.

Older dogs help when the pup doesn't know what it should be looking for, but from the sound of it, your pup just needs some hunting time.

Good luck

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:51 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Buckshot wrote:
Quit with the caged coon and start putting the dog in the timber regularly and hunt him.

I knew someone that messed with so many caged coons that his dog would go to random trees and look up treed and sniff for a few minutes then go about 10 foot to the next tree, do the same thing, and then the same thing, and etc... Did that at their house and when he started hunting the dog, as soon he released the dog into the woods. It's the like the dog became accustomed to a coon being right there and in one of the trees as it was messed with too many caged coons.

My dog does this, fortunately he doesn't slick much. Never understood why he did that though. Hopefully He grows out of it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:06 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

Maximus13 wrote:
Buckshot wrote:

My dog does this, fortunately he doesn't slick much. Never understood why he did that though. Hopefully He grows out of it.

Since it's a blue dog , Idk, if it was another breed I'd know the problem is simply too much tree bred in. Plus too much messing with cage coon. That is why I don't care if a pup never trees till he is a yaer or a year and a half old. But that is just me.

rl=http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/]Outdoor Hub Campfire[/url]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:54 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Well what about say a 2 and a half year old dog that just grabs random trees only bout 100 yards from each other. Seems to only do it on full moon nights? I can tell this because he doesn't really run a track he will strike then roughly a min or two later he is treed close to where he struck. I mean I have treed coons that quick before but it doesn't happen often. What could I do to fix this problem? Is he treeing squirrels or just treeing tapped trees? I know my dog I can tell when he is rite or not by his track and tree bark. Tonight I turned him loose he ran about 100 yards treed I couldn't find nothing but he didn't run a track. So I turned him back loose he went another 100 yards and I couldn't find anything so I took him somewhere else and cast. Now this time he went and made about a 200 yard loop and treed. Couldn't find anything but it was really thick. I don't wanna discipline him because I can't be 100% sure if the coon is there or not. So I just recast and the same seems to happen. Only really ever done it on full moon nights but he has treed a couple little sugar glider squirrels I have seen at night. Someone give me any help or advice please!?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:57 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

ive had several cur dogs to tree flying squirrels at night and it dont matter if the moons out or not. the first dog i had to tree flying squirrels wound up being the best coon dog i ever had.when he was a pup he would tree like the devil on some trees but i didnt see a coon after a while of this i got to looking closer and saw flying squirrels flying around,so when he treed after that if i saw a flying squirrel i would hook the lead to him and lead him off the tree and fuss at him i didnt have to whip him.it wasnt long before he never fooled with a flying squirrel again.i have a cur now that will tree them also but the more coons he trees the less flying squirrels hes messing with.tonight he was treeing up a hickory and thats were alot of flying squirrels are at and i was fixing to get on him but as i was looking i saw 2 coons in the tree lol.pet your dog when he trees a coon and fuss at him when you think its a squirrel.main thing is to hunt the hide off him and bond with your dog,when you become there best friend there more likely to want to listen and please you and there a lot easier to correct.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:22 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

skeets wrote:
ive had several cur dogs to tree flying squirrels at night and it dont matter if the moons out or not. the first dog i had to tree flying squirrels wound up being the best coon dog i ever had.when he was a pup he would tree like the devil on some trees but i didnt see a coon after a while of this i got to looking closer and saw flying squirrels flying around,so when he treed after that if i saw a flying squirrel i would hook the lead to him and lead him off the tree and fuss at him i didnt have to whip him.it wasnt long before he never fooled with a flying squirrel again.i have a cur now that will tree them also but the more coons he trees the less flying squirrels hes messing with.tonight he was treeing up a hickory and thats were alot of flying squirrels are at and i was fixing to get on him but as i was looking i saw 2 coons in the tree lol.pet your dog when he trees a coon and fuss at him when you think its a squirrel.main thing is to hunt the hide off him and bond with your dog,when you become there best friend there more likely to want to listen and please you and there a lot easier to correct.

Thanks skeets I can't wait for the leaves to be gone so I know the truth. But do you think I should fuss at him when he doesn't run track and just falls treed? Or wait till the leaves are gone to do so?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:24 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Rite now I am just sending him on with out praise and I always praise him when I see the coon but it doesn't seem to help just turning him back loose