CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:16 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I got a 5 year old walker (now 6) last year and he hunted good and would tree but when you get to the tree he stops treeing. Its like he says I did all the work now you give it to me lol. He's kinda skidish and I can't seem to get it out of him so that might be the problem but I was wondering if there is anyway to get him to keep treeing.

Sent from my LG-VS700 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:05 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

you'll get more coon to look so you can find them easier if you leave him like he is.
I would guess he is fairly accurate.. the accurate ones seem to do this more, especially if they have been hide hunted alot.
it has nothing to do with him being skiddish .
if you must change him just roll the coons and don't let him touch them. it will take awhile, he didn't get like he is over night and he wont change over night if he does change.. if he does continue to tree after you get there , he will still shut up when your light goes up the tree or he hears the bolt slide shut on the rifle.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:19 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I completely agree with Toe Cutter. I personally like the trait myself. I have male that stops barking as soon as I put a leash on him.

He won't bark his mouth out.

He takes a rest before you cut him again.

It is easier to find coons.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:37 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

My bluetick does this as soon as you start to squall, she'll get quiet expecting the coon to come rolling out at any time. As long as he stays at the tree, I wouldn't worry about him not barking once ya get there.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:46 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Ok thanks and yes he is really accurate.

Sent from my LG-VS700 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:54 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

On that note I have a question, I have a dog that very accurate and does the same thing! But she will not stay treed for a long period of time! She stay hooked then if I don't get there in time or in a comp hunt we are close to her she will give up and move on!! Most of the time she stays but i think its that she sees my light coming to her!Any advice would be helpful

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:07 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

was she ever worked on at the tree. whipped or shocked for something?
seems to me the cause would be something she connects with you coming to the tree. what does she do after she leaves?
I would put a light on her collar and hunt her just me and her, slip in with my light out. tie her back and roll the coon and not let her have any. maybe if you could make her coon crazy enough she will want to stay wanting the coon more than the light making her want to leave.
if I didn't see any improvement after a couple weeks
i'd put a light on her collar and slip in with my light off. when I got close enough I would turn my light on and if she starts to leave I would lightly shock her and try to make her get back on the tree or come to me. but I wouldn't let her run off,,, somehow I would put her back on the tree tied back, roll the coon and not let her touch it.
I've seen dogs worked on for slick treeing and after awhile they have to be tied as soon as you got there, if you shined the tree and then walked into to them without them tied they would leave. they think they missed the coon and know what they got for it before. shocked hard or whipped off.
that's one thing about training you have to think on before you do certain things . you have to consider what else the dog is gonna get out of things you do besides what you wanted it to get. on faults you have to figure out if its man made or bred in. bred in you wont fix. man made, if you can figure out what you did to cause it... you might fix it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:36 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Ok, but as long as ur coming at her with the light on, she stays! It's just when she doesn't see u coming she (gets bored) and leaves! The other night I was at a comp hunt, she treed stay treed for about 2 mins another dog came into her and left she got quiet for a min then went back to treeing, but we were 100 feet or so away from her. She treed for about 2 more mins then just left! Another dog hit the same tree and stuck it.... With a coon

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:01 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

her getting bored and leaving trees is on her. her fault. i'd try and make her want coon more. the more you can make her want the coon the better she should stay treed.
a lot of times a dog will shut up when another dog comes into the tree after that first dog has been treed there. but normally not for 2 minutes.
some dogs are rough in the nite hunts. some get wound up and get more crazy on the tree when they see the cast coming in.. could be the other dog was just a lil too crazy for her to hang with at that point..
its hard to say without actually being there to see it.
myself I would get her right alone and staying treed before I put her in the hunts.. some dogs just don't do good in the hunts because of not being able to hang in here on the trees when it gets crowded..
she is gonna have to be a stay put tree dog alone before you will know if she can hang with all comers.. in the hunts she will have to endure a lot of differant kinds of tree pressure.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:43 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

So shooting coon to her will help? She has never had a kill season on her, I go to New Orleans in the fall so I miss out on that!! I have dropped coon to her. I try to get one down every couple of weeks! She about a year and a half and I have seen way to much outta her to just give up on her! Male a good hide dog but I do alot of comp hunting and she loves to get split plus she has a huge mouth for a gyp

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:38 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

speedy wrote:
So shooting coon to her will help? She has never had a kill season on her, I go to New Orleans in the fall so I miss out on that!! I have dropped coon to her. I try to get one down every couple of weeks! She about a year and a half and I have seen way to much outta her to just give up on her! Male a good hide dog but I do alot of comp hunting and she loves to get split plus she has a huge mouth for a gyp

shooting coon to a dog will not make them want coon more. rolling it and not letting them have it will.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:25 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Ok, I'm gonna start trying that!