CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Dog leaving tree
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:17 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Hey fellows i have a walker dog he's a younger hound and he's doing real well took him tonight and he struck and treed 2 coons.. i mean treeing hard 90+ barks a minute but when i get about 25 yards away from him he quits treein and comes to me then he will go back wat do i do plz help?

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:11 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

i wouldnt worry one bit. both my hounds did that exact same thing when they were young. the second they heard or seen me they were back on tree. young dogs just want to show you what they have done. how old is he?

good luck training, sounds like your dog has some tree sense to him.

happy hunting, matt.

Post subject: Re: Dog leaving tree
PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:15 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

I have a pup that is doing this now . never had one do it before so I am kinda worried we will see he acts like he can't wait to so me what he has found Lol he's doing so good I'm scared to punish him.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:17 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

englishparadise wrote:
Hey fellows i have a walker dog he's a younger hound and he's doing real well took him tonight and he struck and treed 2 coons.. i mean treeing hard 90+ barks a minute but when i get about 25 yards away from him he quits treein and comes to me then he will go back wat do i do plz help?

He is NOT leaving the tree. he is meeting you off the tree. Re Read the UKC rules. And call the judge out on it every time he tries to pull that crap on you. Read the rules for what the rules say , not for what somefellers think after a bunch of years of having dogs with their clawnails hooked in the bark want you to believe the rules say> I for one, Like a dog treeing like a dog pointing quail, with one clawnail hooked in the tree and the other leg cocked on point. LOL They don't care what I want and I dang shure don't care what kind of style points they want. Read the rules. Your dog trees one bark a minute? Guess what? You are still holding first tree I don't care what kind of crap you might HEAR about or gets voted on in the woods. Read the rules. The rules committee is fixing to meet. It is time to set this old 1970"s rule straight or CHANGE IT , not have PKCers anticipating what they want it to be.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:40 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Thanks 1molatenite,but that post was dang near six years ago.. :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:33 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

smokehunt4140 wrote:
I have a pup that is doing this now . never had one do it before so I am kinda worried we will see he acts like he can't wait to so me what he has found Lol he's doing so good I'm scared to punish him.

LOL- Updated version!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:56 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Haha dang I just read that Lol sorry but I really do have a pup doing this I searched pup meeting me off the tree trying to get some help fixing this because never had one do this

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:12 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

one of the best dog i ever owned would meet me a little ways off the tree then go back to the tree and start treeing again,i have a dog now that does the same thing.my dog will meet me and within a few seconds hes back treeing again,i think hes just excited hes got the coon and he should be excited cause thats what hes bred to do.ive heard of people switching them back to the tree and ive heard people shocking them,i think thats a good way to confuse a dog.of course now days with all that tree power it might not hurt them cause all they know is tree.lol

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:21 am 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

smokehunt4140 wrote:
Haha dang I just read that Lol sorry but I really do have a pup doing this I searched pup meeting me off the tree trying to get some help fixing this because never had one do this

I try to fix big problems first so I hardly ever get around to the little problems. Mine meet me off the tree because I hunt by myself with several dogs at a time. I don't even carry the three or four leads necessary to tie dogs near the tree. Plus I look for coons on the way to the tree and find and shoot most of them before I get to the tree. If I did walk to the tree with my eyes down pretending like I was comp hunting and tie the dogs before I looked I'll bet I couldn't resist giving the pup a pat before I ever looked and really ruin them much more than having one meet me (like the original post-25 yards ) and get right back on the tree and tree great. When a dog meets me off the tree I say "Git Back" no pats or praise . Sometimes they get to hanging on the tree and some still meet me. There is as much as a ten second gap in his treeing while this is happening. I even had a Walker female one time that the judge had said "handle your dogs" I said her name and she wheeled off the tree 10 feet away and bounced her front legs on my chest and I missed her collar and in 2 seconds she was back on the tree . In that 5 seconds I was minused because the dog quit the tree, "put her head down and went back on track". LOL Re Read the rules about meeting you off the tree and hold the judges feet to the fire if one ever tries to pull that stuff on you.

Possibly a remedy would be to ask for the scorecard prior to casting and make a note UNDER the area for Questioning and write" My dog may meet me off the tree" . That puts the judge and everybody else on Notice that you are here for real. The Honor Rules way was to "inform the judge" verbally. but in these times the faddedest ink is better than anybodies recollection.

Other than that, if you truly feel not having his clawnails hammered in the bark is as big of a fault in a dog as pulling up short or just flat out lying , then just "correct" H out of it and chain it up. Loose on the tree is not a fault to me but if your Game is the Big Time, then do what you gotta doo.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:09 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

i aint hunted in a hunt in years but when i was i had a dog that would come and meet me then go back to treeing.i would tell the judge before we turn the dogs loose that my dog will meet me when he trees,then after he treed and we was getting close to him i would tell the judge again.i never had a problem with a judge about my dog comming off the tree but i did have a problem with the judge when he went to plusing pinesap and spidereyes.lol

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:55 am 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

skeets wrote:
i aint hunted in a hunt in years but when i was i had a dog that would come and meet me then go back to treeing.i would tell the judge before we turn the dogs loose that my dog will meet me when he trees,then after he treed and we was getting close to him i would tell the judge again.i never had a problem with a judge about my dog comming off the tree but i did have a problem with the judge when he went to plusing pinesap and spidereyes.lol

Pine sap and spider eyes ain't nothing . Ever had them plussing "dark holes"? A dark hole is where there ain't no limbs nor leaves and you can see right on into the sky. LOL If you happen to be a dumb as and happen to be standing where you see through a Dark Hole into the Universe and there happens to be a star shining through the Dark Hole and you shine on the star and can't see it shine but cut your light off and the star shines like it aought too , I recon all you can figure is that coons eyes are GLOWING on their own . LOL Plus em up. LOL?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:54 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

lolllllllllllllll i blew skoal all over the screen after reading that one.a dark hole into the universe? lolllll.we cover everything from big foots to astronomy.lollll

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:58 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Yeah that's what this pup will do he will tree hard then when I get in there about 20 to 30 yards from the tree he will come down run to me then go back lol

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:17 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

use a switch and scold them back to the tree from where they meet you.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:26 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Well I tried the switch last night but the little sucker was so quick to will back around I couldnt catch him he was back on the tree .. Use a switch or a fishing rod end at the house so he knew what was coming . he don't really stop barking just comes down and barks at me makes no since never seen one do it as hard as he trees