CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:01 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Ever heard of a dog actually decline rather than get better and improve? My 2 year old blue was tracking and treeing at 10 months and always ran good for me. With dogs and alone he treed coon. The last month he wants too stand around in the woods and eat grass,##*%* on everything sit by me and do absolutely nothing. Might run around not do much tracking or act interested in sniffing.
My head is spinning with him idk what too say. I've been treating his ears thinking maybe he has an infection. 2 weeks and not much progress.
Any help or suggestions would be helpful. Run anywhere from 2-6 nights a week. I laid him up all last week, ran tonight and no progress.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:21 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Have you tried worming your dog. Some times if a dog has a bad case of worms it can mess with them. It will affect their noses and attitude. It can make them really sluggish. Hopefully this helps.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:51 am 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

JGBLUE wrote:
Have you tried worming your dog. Some times if a dog has a bad case of worms it can mess with them. It will affect their noses and attitude. It can make them really sluggish. Hopefully this helps.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Yep, eating grass is a just a dog's physical way of trying to run a brillow pad through and scour his system. Whenever I had a dog do it, something was not right> Might not have been worms but something was wrong.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:48 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

you might ought to take your dog to the vet,sounds to me like hes sick.my wifes a vet tech and she was telling me last week the news man here brought his dog in and told the vet that his dog wasnt acting right.my wife was putting the dog to sleep and the dog died,they started doing cpr but they couldnt get the dog breathing again.the vet cut the dog open and took the small intestine out,they found a lot of grass and a pork chop bone in the dog that was blocking everything in the intestine.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:16 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I'll get him into the vet.

With other dogs he ain't running like he normally does either. He's quiet and seems lazy. Not as loud and mouthy as he normally is. Last night I had a coon on the ground staring at me like 50 yards up. I walked past the track with the blu and he didn't even catch the trail. I waited like 50 yards past the trail and he finally caught the scent but lost it before it even started. No barks some excitement but minimal compared too his normal self. It's like his nose is hardly working it seems. I can't imagine he's losing it or just getting worse. He's 27months old and his voice is deepening and maybe his body is changing yet. Puberty maybe? Haha I have no idea this is only my 2nd dog and i haven't been faced with this problem yet.
I'll get him into the vet. This is frustrating the hell outa me

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:29 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

He gets multi-vitamin, flea and tick treatments, OPC for his joints, I feed diamond extreme athlete he gets an egg after a night of hunting. His health isn't neglected. I know you guys aren't saying that's the case. I'll get him Into the vet today sometime hopefully. Just wanna be open about how I care for him and what's been going on incase anymore suggestions. Thanks ya'll

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:31 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

A friend of mine had this happen to his bluetick, she started getting real sluggish, she would run a track but she'd stand on her head a lot, seemed like she was havin a lot of trouble with even hot tracks, took her to the vet and it turned out she had lymes disease. Its been about a year since then and she's finally getting back to her normal self, hope ya figure out whats wrong, good luck

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:19 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

I put my money on lymes, just went through the same thing myself. I was convinced he was just lazy, noticed a difference just after two days of treatment.

Sent from my Desire HD using Ohub Campfire mobile app

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:54 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

i dont know a thing about lymes disease,will it make a dog eat grass?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:28 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Ive known guys that feed stuff to dogs you should not..I knew a old HOG FARMER that feed old dead hogs to his dogs..He would haul a dead hog out to his dogs and let them eat on it.It was nasty to say the least.. The old guy had really good dogs he won a lot of hunts with them.......Most dogs will eat grass at some time. That does not mean they are sick. But you never know.. The dog could have ate something while hunting. Some dogs around 18 months two 2 yr old will backslide.. They just seam to loose interest..

Nite Ch Nite Time Cheat
Nite Ch Goose Creek Little Tina (1 w GN)
Ch Wild Rivers Indiana ShowQueen
Wild Rivers Machine Gun Kelly
Wild Rivers Stylish Showgirl (Tide X Queen)
English
Gr Ch Nite Ch 'pr' Twin CK Lady
Wild Rivers Main Street Hooker
Black n Tan
Nite Ch 'pr' Black River Boy (3 w to Grand)
Ch Wild Rivers Whole Lotta Rosie
Wild Rivers Black Pearl

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:25 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I had my dogs annual shots and stuff yesterday and when they drew blood checkin for heart worms they found she was positive with lyme disease. The last month she has been pretty lazy but didnt think much of it til the vet said lyme diseae can cause that.

Sent from my Motorola Electrify using Ohub Campfire mobile app

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:34 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Skeets, i never noticed my dog eat any grass, just got really lazy sometimes shed lay on the floor behind my recliner all day and not move unless the kids got to pestering her.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:14 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

thankyou mr.blue.i hate hearing about your dog,i hope she gets to feeling better and your able to start hunting her real soon.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:54 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Sorry too hear that blue. I go too the vet tomorrow night. I'm not sure what too think, he don't look sick around the house he has been lazy but we all know our hunting partners style in the woods. He hasn't ran the same for bout month and a half. Hope I can get the vet too realize that.

On another note, my brother in law has a litter mate too my blue. Last night he ate part of a sheet. Lodged in his intestine had too remove 4 feet or so. Keep that dog in your prayers them blues are all he's got no wife or kids.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:51 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

My vet acted like its not a big deal said i just need to give her medicine once a day for a month then recheck her after 6 months. He had to order her medicine hopefully it comes in soon. Shes actually my house dog a golden retriever havent even seen one tick on her this year. Also a month supply of the medicine here is around 40 bucks so not too bad i guess. Could be alot worst i guess. Anyways good luck with everything and i wish your hound a speedy recovery