CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:44 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:09 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

ive had dogs that were satan one night and angels the next.there were some nights you couldnt pour them on a deer and the next night they would strike as soon as you turn them loose and not see them until the next day,they would usually be at somebodys house miles away.dogs ive had to run deer would run them like their looking at it and it dont take them long to get plum out of the country on you.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:25 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

RTWojo wrote:
You know they you can't teach an old dog new tricks. It's like that with my uncle. He is going by past experience from over 20 years ago when there were a lot more coons running around in the woods and he says he never had coons run as far as these dogs are going. He has it in his mind that they still are not broke from deer. But I think they are because I've watched them come across a fresh deer track that I saw the deer that made it and the dogs turned away from the deer scent. I think my uncle needs to swallow hard and try some new things.

Let me see if I got this straight? Your uncle figures it might be trash and you don't. Check back on Skeets post about what his dog figired he could get by with. sounds like you uncle is open to possibilities. My experience is three strikes and you are out. First , what I call a strike one, is when I get off my but out of the truck seat and run him down bare foot and straighten him out in no uncertain terms. A smart dog will not be caught twice on a turned into deer , you had your one chance , and if the dog was not communicating with the Angels when you got finished straightening him out, you probably missed your one chance ' The other two strikes was just a"feelgood" politcal correct item for me.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:42 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

Back in the day when I had to expect trash runners, I was the Ever Ready with hightop Kedds tennis shoes. I did not worry if the Duracell Bunny was up to his job or not. Don't overtake the dogs and get in their way if you realy want to know what they are doing but stay close enough on the to know for sure what they are doing. Chunk that Ecollar BS and do your uncle a favor as a young and agile man and help him know what his dogs are up to . Leave that warm spot on the truck seat you get bored with and go find out.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:53 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

i still run a dog down if its running trash and iam old as dirt lol.i had a shock collar but i gave it to my oldest boy cause his old hound wouldnt shut up.i told him how to correct a dog that barks on the chain but i reckon he didnt have the heart.all i can say if a dog has the heart to keep me up at night barking then i have the heart to stop it,ive never had a dog i couldnt break from howling at the moon after a few auttide adjustments.i do the same if there running trash, for one thing a shock collar want reach far at all in the mountains and the other is i want them to know i aint happy with what there doing.i may be wrong but i think a dog knows that deer scent dont shock,even though people say shock them and they will think the deer did it lol.ive had dogs that i shocked for running deer and the next night they went bout a mile before they open up on a deer,when that happens all you can do is run them down.barney fife said it best,nip it,nip it in the bud.lol

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:15 am 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

skeets wrote:
i still run a dog down if its running trash and iam old as dirt lol.i had a shock collar but i gave it to my oldest boy cause his old hound wouldnt shut up.i told him how to correct a dog that barks on the chain but i reckon he didnt have the heart.all i can say if a dog has the heart to keep me up at night barking then i have the heart to stop it,ive never had a dog i couldnt break from howling at the moon after a few auttide adjustments.i do the same if there running trash, for one thing a shock collar want reach far at all in the mountains and the other is i want them to know i aint happy with what there doing.i may be wrong but i think a dog knows that deer scent dont shock,even though people say shock them and they will think the deer did it lol.ive had dogs that i shocked for running deer and the next night they went bout a mile before they open up on a deer,when that happens all you can do is run them down.barney fife said it best,nip it,nip it in the bud.lol

The best training/breaking tools there has ever been is a kid with high top running shoes and a dead palmetto frond. That dead palmetto frond coming down on his head out of nowhere sounds like a thousand deamons from Hell desendiding on it. LO< then that loud crash when that frond breaks up soundes like everybone in his body breaking all to Hell , Then that that left overshaft of the frond can put more than alitlle wear and tear on threm. LOL I'll mail you some. I know you will use them wisely. I would sell them across this whole country, but I know most would rather sit a fat butt a on a tail gait and push a button. LOL

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:15 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

lol we dont have none them palmettos around here.but if it sounds bad when you swat them then they think it hurts i guess.ive never done it but ive heard rolled up newpaper works the same way.i know putting a billie goat with the dogs want work to break dogs from running deer,ive tried that and the dogs run deer just as bad as ever.desendiding? lolll

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:34 am 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

desendiding, I'm starteting to get tie toungued , LOL