CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:44 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

My uncles dogs have no problem treeing and staying there even for more than a half hour.

But when they strike a track(if that's what they are doing) while running in front of the truck it can take them sometimes 2 hours before they tree; barking the whole time. Sometimes the sound like they are treed and then we make our way to them and they take off again. A couple times they have ended treed more than a mile away from where they started barking. One dog is 4 yearsold and the other is just over a year.

I'm wondering if they are just babbling or are they cold trailing the coon? But sometimes they tree within minutes.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:23 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

RTWojo wrote:
My uncles dogs have no problem treeing and staying there even for more than a half hour.

But when they strike a track(if that's what they are doing) while running in front of the truck it can take them sometimes 2 hours before they tree; barking the whole time. Sometimes the sound like they are treed and then we make our way to them and they take off again. A couple times they have ended treed more than a mile away from where they started barking. One dog is 4 yearsold and the other is just over a year.

I'm wondering if they are just babbling or are they cold trailing the coon? But sometimes they tree within minutes.

I doubt they are babbling and here is why. Babbling is a dog opening contuously where there is no track. Babbling has always been a bad fault. It was a sign of crazy just like if you ever heard anbody just talking out loud to themself. Dogs got culled for it. I have only seen two true bablers in my 45 years of hunting and of them turned out to be a dog trailer. I hear people in comp hunts put up with it to get first strike but unless your dogs are highly bred Competition dogs(Are they?) it would be highly unlikely to get one babbler much less two if they are not kin.(are they?)
As far as what they might be doing. They might be taking a cold coon track, then jumping some kind of trash and chasing that around a while, then getting after a bobcat, that would explain them treeing and taking off again. Then get on a coon and tree it. They can waste alot of time fooling with trash for a couple of hours. As far as going a mile, I have two kinds of coons here. Climbers and Runners. 1 mile is nothing for a runner coon that doesn't want climb. But it sure better not take an hour.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:52 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I don't think they were bred from competition dogs. But they are related. I guess they could be running trash but that's kind of hard to figure that out unless we see what they are running. They went across a bean and hay field barking and then sounded treed and then broke out across the field again to another patch of woods and was in there for about 15min and then crossed a road and the whole time never stopped barking and sounded tres a few times. I know they weren't running deer because there were deer in the field when they first striked and never even went toward the deer.

Maybe we need to get some trash breaking scents and see if they will strike on any of them.

Last fall the dogs did more running around barking than being treed. And they might only tree once in 3 hours. A few times they would tree so far out of hearing them that it would take us a very long time finding them treed.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:21 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

The babblers I heard did not sound like they were getting it hotter or rougher track or anything but the same old bugger type bark about every minute. I don't know how long but you could could about set your watch by it it was so regular and she would have covered about the same distance between barks.
I don't know if Breaking scents and Training scents are the same thing. I don't use them. It seems ya'll would see plenty of trash road hunting fashion to check them out on.
You said it took two hours to get treed. Did you find the coon?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:49 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

i cant say for sure what your dog is doing,but to my mind it sounds like maybe there running a bobcat.i had a ole dog that would run them for hours and for miles.the ole dog would run them a little ways then go to treeing,so i would start going to him and before i could get to the tree the race was on again.this would go on for hours,finally one night i was able to run the old dog down and i let him know that we are coon hunting not cat hunting.after that he would still run them but when he treed his heart wasnt in it like before,he would just hack at it on the tree,it was kinda hard to tell if he was treed unless you listen real close.he finally figured out that i can run them bobcats for a little while until i find a coon then tree the coon and who will know.i knew what he was doing but its hard to catch a dog anytime you want to in these mountains.for some reason if i hunted that dog hard he wouldnt mess with junk and tree as many coons as any dog,but put him up a while and more then likely hes going to run a bobcat when i first turned him loose.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:49 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

1molatenite wrote:
The babblers I heard did not sound like they were getting it hotter or rougher track or anything but the same old bugger type bark about every minute. I don't know how long but you could could about set your watch by it it was so regular and she would have covered about the same distance between barks.
I don't know if Breaking scents and Training scents are the same thing. I don't use them. It seems ya'll would see plenty of trash road hunting fashion to check them out on.
You said it took two hours to get treed. Did you find the coon?

We don't always road hunt most of the time we are hunting field edges usually corn. But this year corn field are a little scarce where we can hunt. I guess we are going to have to put someone near where we think the dogs will cross the road and see what or if they are running. When they start barking it's a non stop barking until they tree with the occasional pause because they lost track for a few.

I don't know what they are doing but it get old quick. They never leave the tree once treed. They do know that they are after coon because one night last year we got 5 all in a 2 mile square area. Maybe they are still working their own stuff out.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:05 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

Not sure how much experience you have listening to dogs run but generally when something does not sound right it pobably is not right. What does your uncle have to say about it? Are both dogs opening the whole time like I believe you say, or is the pup doing most of the barking? If so, he could be chasing after the old dog. Who knows?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:06 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

1molatenite wrote:
Not sure how much experience you have listening to dogs run but generally when something does not sound right it pobably is not right. What does your uncle have to say about it? Are both dogs opening the whole time like I believe you say, or is the pup doing most of the barking? If so, he could be chasing after the old dog. Who knows?

Both dogs are barking the whole time. But sometimes it's just the older dog(female)with a high pitch bark almost a yip bark.I think the younger dog is the better of the 2. Last year was my first experience with coon hounds. I've hunt rabbits with beagles for years and knew when the trail was hot of cold by the sound the dogs made. I know when these dogs are treed it's just that my uncle thinks the long chases are a big coon not wanting to tree. But when they tree it's not always a big coon. I guess more hunt time and we will figure it out.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:37 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

RTWojo wrote:
1molatenite wrote:

Both dogs are barking the whole time. But sometimes it's just the older dog(female)with a high pitch bark almost a yip bark.I think the younger dog is the better of the 2. Last year was my first experience with coon hounds. I've hunt rabbits with beagles for years and knew when the trail was hot of cold by the sound the dogs made. I know when these dogs are treed it's just that my uncle thinks the long chases are a big coon not wanting to tree. But when they tree it's not always a big coon. I guess more hunt time and we will figure it out.

A Beagle pack is as good way as any to learn alot about cold trailing and jumping and running in the way it shows up in their intensity in relation to the way they cover ground.
I realize I am a long way from where you are but in general, the size of the coon doesn't matter, its the size of the run in the coon that matters. I love hard running coons so much that they are the only ones I am tempted not to shoot but I have to "kill them all" or don't come back. Alot of my runners are 10 -12 lbers. Most runners don't show up till January. But the scamps generally have longer legs that when you tote them by the ankles, the nose almost touches the ground. With all that being said, the two biggest coons we ever got was this time of year around mutton corn time. One weighed 32 lbs and the other weighed 28 lbs that, after the first 5 minutes of trailing gave us the best mile and a half long screaming race I can still rember.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:49 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Babbling dogs do that right after you cut them loose barking were theres no track. They usually do it when they are horse racing before they hit the woods They could be running a Bobcat...Many dogs that run off game then tree a coon. (Id guess) they are running off game. I would not hunt any of my dogs with them... Id go along with guys sometimes and leave my dogs at home. Glad I do I never seen so many trashy dogs in my life...LOL..My dad always said.. Dont hunt our dog with dogs you don't know ...LOL

Nite Ch Nite Time Cheat
Nite Ch Goose Creek Little Tina (1 w GN)
Ch Wild Rivers Indiana ShowQueen
Wild Rivers Machine Gun Kelly
Wild Rivers Stylish Showgirl (Tide X Queen)
English
Gr Ch Nite Ch 'pr' Twin CK Lady
Wild Rivers Main Street Hooker
Black n Tan
Nite Ch 'pr' Black River Boy (3 w to Grand)
Ch Wild Rivers Whole Lotta Rosie
Wild Rivers Black Pearl

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:25 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

i agree that they probably are running a cat and then finally running across a hot coon track and treeing it. But I have also seen dogs do this with a litter of kitten coons- they want to tree for a minute than move on- and after hitting all the trees with kittens, they finally find momma coon

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:00 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Well we might have figured one thing out last week. We think they were running a deer. We ended up over 2 miles from where we started because the shock collars wouldn't work when they first took off and we saw a deer track where the dogs crossed in front of the truck. I finally got to about 100 yards of the digs and the one collar worked and had to run closer to the other dog to get his collar to work. These collars are suppose to work up to a mile away.
Now we have to do some deer breaking. But my uncle wants to shine fields with a spot light and find a deer and take the dogs on leash to where the deer were or let them loose so they can see or smell the deer then shock them if they go after the deer.
But is there a better way of doing this? After he figures out what's wrong with the collars.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:19 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

You can do as your uncles says with a spot light or just go in the early morning in day light and look for a deer.
But I would not shock a dog because I saw a deer track in August near where they were trailing. It would be different if there was snow on the ground & you could see for sure they were trailing a deer. I would be darn sure especially on the young dog that it was in fact a deer or other trash before I lit them up.
2 miles isn't unheard of in the area I hunt certain times of year for coon. My bitch has run 6 or 8 in the last year that far & I've watched her run right past deer and not pay any attention to them & can't even get her to open or follow a bobcat track.
And I would defiantly only take one dog at a time when your checking or breaking them.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:06 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

Yes I would definitely take them one dog at time checking them out. You might find the main culprit. Or , one at a time they might both be angels. LOL They might like fast game together. I had a female I never had a problem with but I found out she was a road runner. I normally hunt two to 4 dogs together in any kind of combination it just depends on the luck of the draw at any drop and I had about 7 dogs. One night I cast her and a 1 yr old pup off her. I was sending them north towards a slew they should strike at. Time they got in the woods I saw them catch each others eye, like a wink and a grin and they took on off. I did wonder what that was about. I stepped back on the road and made a quick cell call. After 5-10 minutes they had not struck so I pulled out the tracker and did not even get a beep. I rode a mile north and nothing and kept on going. I finally found them 2 miles south of where I had turned loose. They had a coon alright, right beside a road. I followed the dog tracks all the way back in the dirt road to where they had got out of my sight and made a loop and hit the road. I got rid of both of them because i figured the pup had it in her to do it too. They could probably be broke these days with a garnin and a shocker but that was back when, and I don't know if I'd bother trying today either. Not for a road runner.Like I said, she did not do that unless she could talk another dog into taking the scenic tour with her. I hope you find out which one is the trouble maker.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:04 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

You know they you can't teach an old dog new tricks. It's like that with my uncle. He is going by past experience from over 20 years ago when there were a lot more coons running around in the woods and he says he never had coons run as far as these dogs are going. He has it in his mind that they still are not broke from deer. But I think they are because I've watched them come across a fresh deer track that I saw the deer that made it and the dogs turned away from the deer scent. I think my uncle needs to swallow hard and try some new things.