CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:11 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: The last track.
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:13 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I have a 16 month old pup that has been trained solo. He has only seen one cage coon. He can run and tree an easy coon. The problem is if he gets on a gang of coons he will run the last track. Ive seen him tree on a tree and then trail to another and jump on it and tree and then jump down and trail the last coon. The 2 trees he jumped on and treed on for a short second had coons in them. As everyone knows, the last track is always the hardest, which he seemed to not be able to tree own, even though he tried to track it. My question is, is this a problem or just a young pup? If it is a problem what do I do? If it is a single coon he will circle the tree and then stay tree'd. Thanks for your help.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject: Re: The last track.
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:37 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

I have one that is just like you say yours is. She is now four and getting it done. Keep on hunting the pup alone.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:10 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

My Plott does that and she's almost 3 years old. She does get the last one treed now but when she was young she didn't always. I don't fault her for that because she doesn't carry a light to check the tree. One thing for sure is I don't look at any slick trees when she gets hooked. I do have to take my chances though in a comp hunt. If she's alone i hold off on calling her treed to make sure shes gonna stay.
If theres orher dogs close its worked both ways where ive held up and she will cause a "me too dog" to slick tree. And she left and ended up split treeing with both trees having the coon.
I wouldn't get upset about an honest check dog. I also understand the frustration when there young trying to figure out what they are doing!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:13 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I had an honest check dog once and i learned to be patient while he worked. I wouldnt run in the first time he stood on a tree id give him a few more mins to gigure it all out. If i didnt push him he was extremely accurate. If i did push him i felt like i was forcing him to hook up soo soon and was not in it......Giv the pup space and time to work the track well out of your sight and dont shine the first tree he hits.

Good luck, Your pup is doin fine.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:17 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Biggerjigger wrote:
I had an honest check dog once and i learned to be patient while he worked. I wouldnt run in the first time he stood on a tree id give him a few more mins to gigure it all out. If i didnt push him he was extremely accurate. If i did push him i felt like i was forcing him to hook up soo soon and was not in it......Giv the pup space and time to work the track well out of your sight and dont shine the first tree he hits.

Good luck, Your pup is doin fine.

i agree- I have seen several young dogs do this- especially in a litter of small coons. i have seen one dog tree in 5 trees, just for about 30 seconds each, then move on. she finally locked up good. all 5 trees had kitten coons and the last one had momma coon!
Your dog is just being careful, and thats much better than being tree happy, and he is gonna be really accurate when hes hunted some more

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:54 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

He is probably checking and then he sells the other coon that ran so he thinks the coon ran off. My 1 year old was doing it in real thick coon so I started hunting himm in thin coon for alittle while and took hi back to the thick coons thinking it would help but it didn't but he finallly worked all the kinks out. He just needs hunting probably I have had a few that did that

Sent from my LG-VS700 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:23 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

Would you really want a dog treeing the first one up when there is a track right there going on? Like a post before, the dog does not have a light to find the coon. He does what he is supposed to do and follows the track.. You asked so I'll give my opion that the dog is already on the verge of being tree happy as a result of the breeding. I say this because I understand you to say it locates and trees awhile and dosn't "settle" and then may go back on track. I don't think a dog or even a pup should take time to do all that. He should get his checking done first. He should either hush while he checks or might give one locate on a tree and then hush and check. When he is treed he is treed to stay. I wouldn't have a clue on how to correct your young pup. It is probably something he will do all his life. Just hope he doesn't go the other way when these kittens get grown and lock down on the first "tagged" tree.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:14 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

1Molatenite,do you listen to half the stuff you say? You're putting down a mans dog,WHICH IS 16 MONTHS OLD.. You're putting down the breeding of his dog (which not you or any of us,have any idea what it is.) This is a WELL started young pup,he is working out the bugs with him. I know not all of us have world class Leopard hounds like yourself,but please do not put down another gentlemens dog. As for what to do about your problem if there is anyway you can catch him before he leaves that first tree and handle him,that would be a start. Patience and alot of bootleather and I see no reason why this problem can not be corrected!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:58 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

englishparadise wrote:
1Molatenite,do you listen to half the stuff you say? You're putting down a mans dog,WHICH IS 16 MONTHS OLD.. You're putting down the breeding of his dog (which not you or any of us,have any idea what it is.) This is a WELL started young pup,he is working out the bugs with him. I know not all of us have world class Leopard hounds like yourself,but please do not put down another gentlemens dog. As for what to do about your problem if there is anyway you can catch him before he leaves that first tree and handle him,that would be a start. Patience and alot of bootleather and I see no reason why this problem can not be corrected!

You are right english paradise , I do not know his breeding so how could I be putting it down? Fetching is in the breeding, treeing is in the breeding, and treehappy is in the breeding. Its a fine line. A sow and two kits pass a tree and mon sends one up and the pup is a superstar. Same situation but mom taps the tree herself and you got a treehappy yacking with 3 tracks leaving. Talking about any dog not just his , pup or old dog. I reread the whole thing. Where did i say a word about Leopards , much less claim to have word class Leopards.

I reread your post . So you think think catching and handling at the first tree would be a HELP?