All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: me too dog
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:59 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

billy d wrote:
I breed and raise what I hunt.

Thats probably why you had to hunt YOUR young dogs with an older dog to start them, they didnt have the brains to figure things out on their own. Its no coincidence that you started this thread about metoo dogs and because you always had them and are an expert on them.

GRNITECH GRCH HARDING'S ACE
pr' HARDING'S HARDWOOD KAT
pr' HARDING'S HIGH FIVE

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject: Figuring Mee Too Dogs
PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:31 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

How would you go about figuring out if a dog is just a MeeToo dog. It seems like you would be able to figure it out better if you owned the dog and hunted him alot with/against,( depending on your attitude,) other good dogs. It seems like the owner would want to be the first one to know and go about figuring it out. It seems somebody would have to be super smart to hear a dog he never heard before and get it figured out in one two hour hunt. Of course Mee Too dogs always belong to somebody else. Why do Comp hunters care if a dog truly plays second fiddle to theirs? What is the difference in dogs that will work together and a MeeToo dog? If two dogs work togther does that mean that one dog has to be Mee Tooing the whole time or is that just some folk's imagination.

Last edited by 1molatenite on Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:05 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

If two dogs are running track and one dog is, in somebody's head, the Real Deal, then the other is MeeTooing. If a huge owl swooped down and picked up the Real Deal dog so that it vanished from the race and the other dog takes it right on and trees it then that dog is not a Mee Tooer.
If MeeTooing was as bad as running deer then use the shocker collar but use it on the Real Deal dog to knock it out of the race and see if the MeeTooer finishes it or quickly loses the track. Then turn around and do the same thing and knock the Mee Tooer out of the race and see if the Real Deal finnishes the track or just loses it. Why do that to BOTH DOGS you ask? Because so far, one is the Real Deal only in somebodies head. So this thread is:
Figuring Mee Too Dogs.
LOL We don't know which is which yet! How would YOU figure it out????? Or do you already have it figured out because the Real Deal dog is yours and the MeeTooer is somebody elses. Just kidding, kind of!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:36 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

well i dont think you can tell for sure in a 2 hour hunt if a dog is a me 2 dog.just because a dog backs another dog dont mean its a me to dog,dogs have been bred that way for hundreds of years to back another dog,only lately have people started breeding for a independent get deep quick kind of dog.ive never understood the get deep quick thing,i want a dog to hunt as soon as i turn him loose,i dont want go run for a mile before he decides maybe its time to try to smell something besides air.i had a me to dog one time,well to be honest ive had several,but the one i had that comes to mind was a big ole walker dog i paid 200 bucks for,which was a war pension for me at that time.i hunted that dog by hisself for months and that dog would strike but would never tree.i could hunt him with a real coon dog and he would tree with the coon dog like he knew what he was doing. that meto dog would strike first alot of times,but would always come in second on the tree,i reckon he was a first and second kind of dog.that ole dog had a squall on track and a squall on tree,it was hard to tell when he was treed alot of times,when i thought he was treed i would say he is running treed cause most time thats what it sounded like.lol

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:20 am 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

skeets wrote:
well i dont think you can tell for sure in a 2 hour hunt if a dog is a me 2 dog.just because a dog backs another dog dont mean its a me to dog,dogs have been bred that way for hundreds of years to back another dog,only lately have people started breeding for a independent get deep quick kind of dog.ive never understood the get deep quick thing,i want a dog to hunt as soon as i turn him loose,i dont want go run for a mile before he decides maybe its time to try to smell something besides air.i had a me to dog one time,well to be honest ive had several,but the one i had that comes to mind was a big ole walker dog i paid 200 bucks for,which was a war pension for me at that time.i hunted that dog by hisself for months and that dog would strike but would never tree.i could hunt him with a real coon dog and he would tree with the coon dog like he knew what he was doing. that meto dog would strike first alot of times,but would always come in second on the tree,i reckon he was a first and second kind of dog.that ole dog had a squall on track and a squall on tree,it was hard to tell when he was treed alot of times,when i thought he was treed i would say he is running treed cause most time thats what it sounded like.lol

To me a meetoo dog and a back dog and a checkdog might be three entirely different animals. The Check dog being the absolute finest > But that again is JMO.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:06 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I have seen plenty of me too dogs in a two hour hunt, they will stand At your feet wait till another dog strikes and head out to try and still your track, or will be on a different track, hear a dog bark up, quit that track to go jump on the other dogs tree, just my two cents

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:50 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

cstjohn wrote:
I have seen plenty of me too dogs in a two hour hunt, they will stand At your feet wait till another dog strikes and head out to try and still your track, or will be on a different track, hear a dog bark up, quit that track to go jump on the other dogs tree, just my two cents

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

A dog that won't go hunting I thought got scratched for not hunting. Then if a dog put in with another dog and did try to steal the track it might be a MeeToo dog but if it succeeds in stealing the track and leaves the other dog about standing flatfooted I would not say that is a MeeToo. If in fact a dog hears another dog "bark up" and quits his track I thought he got minus strike points for quiting the track but there is no true way to Figure that untill they start running Garmins on coons. Anyway, all he'd get is second tree out of it.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:22 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

I know for a fact the one I am hunting is not a me tooer . So if someone is hunting with me and their dog is always with mine I always ask if I can see theirs go alone. If they don't want to do it or if they do and the dog just stands around that is what I consider a me too dog. CANT STAND ONE MYSELF!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:22 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

A dog that won't go hunting I thought got scratched for not hunting. Then if a dog put in with another dog and did try to steal the track it might be a MeeToo dog but if it succeeds in stealing the track and leaves the other dog about standing flatfooted I would not say that is a MeeToo. If in fact a dog hears another dog "bark up" and quits his track I thought he got minus strike points for quiting the track but there is no true way to Figure that untill they start running Garmins on coons. Anyway, all he'd get is second tree out of it.[/quote]

They are suppose to be scratched for not hunting but around here I've seen a few that wont hunt & will stand around till another dog barks up.
I've even saw 2 different dogs that stood with other dogs running track & had no interest till the other dogs treed then ran in.
In my opinion, in this area, we don't have a lot of people that come to the hunts. So if you start scratching there dogs for not hunting your going to lose them to come back to your hunts.
Also in my opinion, if I have a good dog, I really don't worry about a "me too" dog. Especially when you get that dog with a slick treeing dog in the same cast. They'll usually be minused out pretty quickly.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:14 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

To me, a me too dog is a dog that will be at the tree, but can't do it on his own. A true me too dog won't contribute anything to working the track or anything else. Just because a dog will tree with other dogs don't mean he is a me too dog. Personally, if I was hunting with buddies, and their dogs treed a hundred yards in, and mine bypassed them and went as half a mile to do it on his own I wouldn't be very happy. By ignoring the other dogs, he also ignored the coon.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:49 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

negariverrat wrote:
To me, a me too dog is a dog that will be at the tree, but can't do it on his own. A true me too dog won't contribute anything to working the track or anything else. Just because a dog will tree with other dogs don't mean he is a me too dog. Personally, if I was hunting with buddies, and their dogs treed a hundred yards in, and mine bypassed them and went as half a mile to do it on his own I wouldn't be very happy. By ignoring the other dogs, he also ignored the coon.

I look at it like that too. If a dog stands and waits he is more of a Nothing dog than a MeeToo. I have no doubt there are some meetoo dogs in the hunts. You hardly ever hear the word meeToo dogs except from Comp hunters. In particular I know of a cast that had a dog I knew pretty good and a guy said that 3 of the dogs in that cast were MeeToo dogs. His independent dog got a 3rd strike to start but moved up and a first tree on one coon. The other three dogs ended up scoring 3 trees. Each of those dogs got a 1st tree and the winner was decided by strike points. I do see how one dog could have got last and last all night and be a MeeToo but not when each of them got a first tree. The independent dog would not put in and only got his one coon for the hunt. I reckon he had a MeeNeither dog. LOL