CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 7:20 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

I am hitting a little bit of a road block with my pup. He can run and tree coon no problem, and look good doing it. However, when I stand still he stays with me. If I walk he will go out and hunt a 100 to 150 yds infront of me. So what I need to do, is go out and sit down and wait till he gets bored. The problem I'm having is, most of the woods I hunt I have to walk him in to get away from the road. I often cannot get in far enough away, where I feel comfortable enough to let him wonder off with outhim first smelling or striking a track. If I am able to get in far enough with out striking one, he will often only need to go a 100 yds usually less, to find a track. If there isn't a coon, for him to strike which isn't often, he will usually end up half heartedly tracking some trash or just hang around. How can I get him to learn to hunt better in thin coon, with out him running junk and if I dont have many places that are thin coon. I'm assuming hunting him in thick coon much longer will compound the problem of him hunting close, and not learning to go out hunt further. I was told dropping a few out to him, should help increase his drive, but normally most of the coon he trees are ez coon, just because I have so many around.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject: New 4 year old update!
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 6:45 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

As posted before, I got a 4 year old BnT that didnt know anything at all and was scared of everything in the woods including a dead coon. 5 mins of draging a cage and teasing him was all it took to set off the natural instinct. He went from "I dont like that thing to Im gonna kill that thing in seconds" It was shocking to say the least. I pulled the cage up the tree and the old boy laid on the bark and chopped his heart out like he had been doin it his whole life. I was proud to say the least. With a little more excercise he should be ready to go.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 3:32 pm 
IP:
I'm having the same problem as Maximus.... I know if my dog would just hunt wider on his own he we be a great coon hound... He does great on coons just doesn't want to go to far from me... He will go as far as another dog though if you send one with him.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 6:30 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

cooner90 wrote:
I'm having the same problem as Maximus.... I know if my dog would just hunt wider on his own he we be a great coon hound... He does great on coons just doesn't want to go to far from me... He will go as far as another dog though if you send one with him.

Walked my hound in day time up to abt 5 months. After that I'd load him up just like goin' coon huntin', drive to back of my property, leash up walk about 10 steps, let him go and then go sit in the truck. He finally started going out some and i refuse to walk him out any more. Still hasn't been out at night, has no idea what his purpose in life is but i'm betting when i do take him at night, he will know i'm not going hiking with him.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 7:40 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

This is what I did with my dog, and it seemed to help him out. I just dropped my dog off at the end of the crick and just drove along the crick until he struck then I let him run the track. You can run him down a road too, where coons cross. Now when I drop him he runs the timber, because if he doesn't he will have to run it anyway just my two cents let me know if it works.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 8:37 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

I've decided to start hunting him thin coon, this should force him to range.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 8:40 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

I've been hunting Hayes. Somenights he ranges better then others.

So far I figured out, he will range better if there is a trail, or logging road that he can run. If we drop in the middle of the woods. He won't leave my side.

I have tried TC method of sitting around and waiting. Sometimes this work sometimes it doesn't.

It would appear to me that I am able to communicate to him by telling him to go hunt. He will go as far as he can see my light, about a 100 yards. After he hunts around for fifteen minutes or so if he doesn't strike one. He will give up. I believe in his mind he thinks there isn't a coon. I noticed if I turn my light off, he stays much closer. Or will come in and stand beside me. As long as he hasn't struck a track yet.

I believe that when he is on track, he is to excited to worry about being alone. When on track he will generally stay out as long as need be and will range out as far as the coon runs before treeing.

What I have noticed is when we are standing still with the light off, it appears that he is listening, and he looks nervous. I believe he isn't yet used to being alone in the woods at night.

Would tying him up alone in the woods and leaving him overnight, help him adjust to being alone in the woods?

I have hunted him hard, and he shows lots of potential. However he still doesn't appear to be comfortable being alone at night. I think he lacks drive and independence. He appears to be a little scared of the dark.

A light switching or scolding also seems to work a little bit, but doesn't appear to be the solution. It gets him out hunting, but after awhile, I can tell he just is thinking, there aient no coon here why don't you leave me alone.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 10:57 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

how old is hayes? i've read your posts and could'nt find his age.
you hit the nail on the head with your statement -
"I believe he isn't yet used to being alone in the woods at night".
the dog may not have the drive or desire to get off in there in his breeding, but-
most all young dogs will do exactly what you are describing,
don't matter if the dog was walk hunted to get him started or hunted with other dogs and then singled out and walk hunted or hunted alone from the get go and started on released coon. very few will go deep with the desire and drive of a mature dog when young dogs.
alot of dogs are close to 3 and have been brought along while they mature before they fire off in there and go 800 or 900 hundred yards just to look alone.
takes alot of time to get a dog from a puppy,started dog,singled out and then coondog. where you are at now is when alot of people will sell a young dog because the dog just aint clicking the way they want.
starting a dog is easy and most anyone can get one started. the hard part is taking them from there and making a coondog out of it.
your ? tie him up in the woods and leave him i think it would make him worse. you said that sitting around and waiting sometimes works and sometimes does'nt.. well thats how it happens, sometimes he will go and sometimes he wont. if you stay with it the some times he wont go will get fewer and fewer. you have to dedicate your self. you can't just go hunting with a couple guys a drop or two then put thier dogs up and try yours alone one drop. you need to go with just him. if it was me it would be just him and just me. no lighting his way with my light and no talking to my buddies. if you started him by walking him then you taught him to hunt the way he hunts. you have to retrain him to cast and go alone now and its gonna take alot of time and patience. he may never be a get gone and get deep kind of dog. he may just not have that in his genes. if he will go from the road down a lane to the woods thats how i would turn him loose. everything i read that you posted tells me the exact thing you said and is the key. he aint used to being alone in the woods and yea he is scared of the dark. i wish there was some magic trick to get him over it. but i think its just gonna take you getting dedicated to be able to accept the frustration a young dog learning to go hunting alone is gonna put on you. i have four dogs here i raised from puppies, i went through this stage with every one of them.they will now go hunt out like they got some sense even with dogs left in the dog box. but it took alot of alone nights in the dark hunting.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:19 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

i am no pro dog trainer and there is a whole lot i dont know.alot i have figured out by accident. i have never found that giving a dog coon will give them more desire or drive. what i have found is rolling them out and not letting the dog have them does. not letting the dog touch them but letting them go nuts trying to get at it and then dragging them away and back to the truck. when i go to the next woods the dog has more desire to go. and again ,it wont just be like a magic trick and flip the switch, it will take several coon that the dog does not get to touch.this makes them want the coon more , letting them have the coon does not make them want the coon more and is not the reward most think it is. i dont know how you started him, but the standing and appearing to be listening is very common for dogs started with other dogs and then singled out. they are listening for the other dog to open so they can go to it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:23 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

TC had a great post, I would add one thing. You say you have to walk him in a safe distance from the road, is he on a leash? If you have him just running around in front of you walking in, then you stop, he don't understand that he is supposed to continue hunting. I would walk him in on a leash, and when you get where you want to cast him, turn him off the leash. Like said above, don't shine your light, just stand there and ignore the dog. It takes a while, and tries the patience, but I promise when it all comes together, its worth it. GOOD LUCK!!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:54 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Quick update. He has improved a little ranging. I did find out his line of walkers matures slowly. From what Ive heard they all have a bit of a flat spot. I believe I'm in it right now. I still cannot believe the amount of time it takes to make a good hound. I will now be putting him back in the box anytimes he trees a.coon. just so I can have better control of ending on a good note. I also need to step it up on my part and keep him on the coon more. He has come down with a hoarse voice though the past couple weeks and has looked really bad. I will be keeping a very close eye on this, and think he may due for a visit to the vet. Thanks for the tips guys. It's threads like this one that keep me encouraged and not wanting to give up!

Sent from my Desire HD using Ohub Campfire mobile app

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:43 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

If it was me Id make a plan and see it through . Treat the dog like a pup .Let him see a caged coon from inside his kennel where he feels safe .If he bays hard on it the next day id drag the caged coon a short distance then pull it up a tree. Turn the dog out and see if it will follow the scent to the tree.If he trees the caged coon ease it down close to him where he can get a good look and smell it but not bite the cage then praise the dog and lead the dog away back to his kennel. Next day id wait till dusk and drag the cage through the woods maybe 100 yards and pull it up a tree again and tie it off .Come back later with the dog and see if he can trail it in the dark and tree it .If he does pet him up and lead him away .Next day find a clear area where the coon has to run a little way to get to trees. Tie the dog back and let the coon go . Give it a few minutes then let the dog go. He should trail it at least a little way . He may even tree it if it doesn't go to far. If he trees it shoot it out to him and let him taste it. One trick that will help him is to wet the coon down before you drag it or turn it loose. This wil help lay an easy scent down . These exercises should tell you if hes got a chance .Then you have to be patient and hunt him a lot . Good Luck.GC

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:39 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

You need to just sit down and wait her out. She will get bored and start to explore. That's how I had to do it with a beagle I use to have. It doesn't take long and she will start going farther and farther away from you.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:19 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

i got a 15 month walker great blood line. scared to death of a caged coon. left a dead on in middle of yard last night he tracked it no barking and once he saw it slide on his belly up to it like he was scared to mess with it. i gave it a little shake and thats all he wnated to do with it. he want to alway chase nieghbors cats never turn out a live coon in front of him. any suggestion wouod help first ever coon dog

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:42 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

neeses10 wrote:
i got a 15 month walker great blood line. scared to death of a caged coon. left a dead on in middle of yard last night he tracked it no barking and once he saw it slide on his belly up to it like he was scared to mess with it. i gave it a little shake and thats all he wnated to do with it. he want to alway chase nieghbors cats never turn out a live coon in front of him. any suggestion wouod help first ever coon dog

Maybe try some training scents first before you introduce him to a live coon. Then after he's trailing good introduce the live coon back to him. And what I've done was to really get excited and try to get the dog to go after the caged coon so he will get mad at it and won't be afraid. Plus was he introduced to the live coon before he was 6 months old?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next