CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:38 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I've got a walker pup that turns 6 months tomorrow I've had him in te woods twice at night with some other dogs he didn't hunt much but I didn't expect much from him cause he's just to young but when I try to lead him and he starts pullin to hard I try to give him a little jerk an he just goes right back to pullin as hard as he can and he's done this at least 50 times and still hasn't made a change. I've tied doin a little handlin with him like callin his name and loaded him and unloading and ridin in the box but every time I go back the next day to do the things we have been working on he pretty much acts like hes never went through it before like its a new thing. I've been doin it for about 2 weeks yet still no change. Gettin very frustrating. Needin some advice. Thanks!

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:28 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

how do you kennel him? if he hasn't been on the chain put'em on the chain for a few weeks he should know that when chained or leashed that he is not in control and should not fight the chain or leash. Doing that should prep the dog for being on the leash. Now if you can let the pup run of some energy before you walk him with the leash. I like to use a choke collar to get a pup started on a lead. Now the 'hard' part when he pulls you tug!! if you keep it up he will be leash broke before long good luck and if your getting frusrated now just wait getting a hound finished takes alot of patience more than I have at times remember that it is still a pup again good luck and keep with it

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:28 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

He stays on the chain unless I'm workin with him that's te only time he is loose and I walk him on the leash quite a bit through the woods and just for pretty long walks and he still is just so hyper it seems that he ain't learning anything.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:02 pm 
IP:
The choker is better used for a quick snap. When you put it over his head make the chain look like a "P" with his head in the middle. When he starts to pull give an instant of lax on the choker and then SNAP it back and to the side. It makes a startling noise and snaps his throat, which gets his attention and is pretty uncomfortable if not painful.

Another trick is to slip the choker as high on his neck as it can go. It'll be pushing on the very sensitive spot and you will probably hear your dog swallowing and making a noise like a hiccup. Hold the leash straight up and your dog isn't going to be pulling--it'll hurt too much. He may thrash around for a bit because it'll probably freak him out, but just retain control until he settles down.

In my experience with dogs that really like to pull, doing the let the dog pull until he chokes himself doesn't work. If he's not walking good on a leash then I personally wouldn't be taking him on walks through the woods or any distance. I train my dogs one bit at a time--down the block, around the block, etc. Walking slowly and continually stopping when the dog pulls. I've had times when it took me twenty minutes just to go down the block. Every time my dog pulled he'd get a quick snap and then we just stop until he's calm and not pulling. Incredibly boring but I'm happy to have dogs that walk very well on the leash. If I can feel the leash then my dog is pulling too much. Leash should be slack or at least close to it.

Sorry for the long post!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:21 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

If it helps I don't care how long the post is lol. But Thanks for the idea I will be tryin this out tomorrow and givin it time to see how it does!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:12 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Most pups are like this..The best way to use the choker chain is by using a quick snap.It does not choke the dog it scares then more than anything..You walk one direction for 30 ft or so. Then change back in a quick move in the other direction.You want to mix it up so the dog has no idea what way you might go next.. If the dog does not follow snap the chain.Keep doing that and soon the dog will keep looking at you and follow you.It can take some time.But if you do it every day they soon pick it up...I even keep a choker chain in my hunting coat to use when needed.Because most dogs will act up at some time.....You can also contact your local vet.. Most vets have dog training classes you can take the pup to..Then you can train every dog you have after the classes are over

Nite Ch Nite Time Cheat
Nite Ch Goose Creek Little Tina (1 w GN)
Ch Wild Rivers Indiana ShowQueen
Wild Rivers Machine Gun Kelly
Wild Rivers Stylish Showgirl (Tide X Queen)
English
Gr Ch Nite Ch 'pr' Twin CK Lady
Wild Rivers Main Street Hooker
Black n Tan
Nite Ch 'pr' Black River Boy (3 w to Grand)
Ch Wild Rivers Whole Lotta Rosie
Wild Rivers Black Pearl

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:34 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

WELCOME TO MY WORLD:
my pup does the same thing. i have used the choke chain , and k-9 pinch pull chain collar thing..still hasnt worked.
She gets chained out the kennel atleast 4 hours a day but barks non stop so she gets put back in the kennel.
& the pulling for her to be just 6 months she pulls like a pit bull...MY shoulder actually is pulled b/c of her..i need some advice also.
I AM NEEDING HELP WITH THE SAME ISSUE!!
feel free to pm me too. lol

*above* my English/Walker cross.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:58 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

with most all young dogs you will be constantly training them to handle during the first couple years.
I still do it old school.
with the pups i walk close to a fence with the dog behind me to start training, when the dog tries to come around the other side to get in front of me i pop them in the face with a switch. a switch with some leaves on the end if i can. i tell them get back each time i have to switch them. some hard heads may need a bigger stick. each and every time i have the dog on a leash i will have a switch in my hand and each and every time i use it i tell them get back and i make them get behind me.
each time it tries to come around me i stop ,pop him with the switch and pull him back behind me while telling him to get back.
at my age a dog has to handle. i don't have the energy to fight with one all night in a tug of war. i can't have them coming out of the dog box like a carp on a cane pole. teaching a dog to handle is a constant every night every time training and it don't come over night no more then them treeing a coon alone does..
spiked chocker chains and shock collar will work too. a hard headed dog that pulls like a truck may need both plus a switch.
the harder you hunt them and wear them out the easier they will handle too.
with the young dogs the better you can get it to handle now the easier it will be when you have to break them to handle again once they are older and coon crazy and they strike one off the leash on the way back to the truck.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:29 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Young Blood wrote:
I've got a walker pup that turns 6 months tomorrow I've had him in te woods twice at night with some other dogs he didn't hunt much but I didn't expect much from him cause he's just to young but when I try to lead him and he starts pullin to hard I try to give him a little jerk an he just goes right back to pullin as hard as he can and he's done this at least 50 times and still hasn't made a change. I've tied doin a little handlin with him like callin his name and loaded him and unloading and ridin in the box but every time I go back the next day to do the things we have been working on he pretty much acts like hes never went through it before like its a new thing. I've been doin it for about 2 weeks yet still no change. Gettin very frustrating. Needin some advice. Thanks!

he is a puppy. nothing comes fast or easy in raising and training a puppy. learn not to get frustrated. get it in your head now that it takes time and patience to train a coondog from puppy to trained coondog. dont expect him to learn like you think he should, they don't. understand whats going on in his head, not yours. if your not in the mood for disapointment and what looks like a failing endever then don't mess with him till you're in the mood to laugh at him for being a dumb pup. just know sooner or later he will get it. pups take patience and time doing things over and over. 50 times or 2 weeks aint the tip of what you have instore for you ahead. you're expecting him to understand whats going on in your head, the trick is for you to understand what is going on in his.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:16 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

U can try a gentle leader. It works for my dog and u dont hv to use a choke chain. It looks like a muzzle but it doesnt hinder them opening their mouth at all. Cost is like fifteen bucks. I was amazed at how quick it changed my dogs!!!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:59 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

wrap the lead around him in a loop right in front of his back legs. when he pulls it will tighten and he wont pull. my hound would drag me around the woods til i did that... now i can hold the leash with my lil finger lol

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:30 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

My dog would do the same way ob a leash he would try pull you. One night I picked him and slammed on the ground. He never does it again.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:10 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I bet if you were slammed on the ground you would not want to do anything either. There is a diffrence in training and overreacting.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:15 pm 
IP:
Site Admin
Site Admin

walkerhounds1156 wrote:
My dog would do the same way ob a leash he would try pull you. One night I picked him and slammed on the ground. He never does it again.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

walkerhounds1156, read this thread concerning asinine comments that makes us hunters look bad:

ANTI Alert - Posting Graphic Pics, Videos, and Comments
viewtopic.php?f=52&t=70635

HuntingBassets.com - A site dedicated to hunting with Basset Hounds

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:44 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Tc, I use the switch and fence method to, It works. I always tie my dogs out while I'm out side working round the yard when I'm inside their usually kenneled. I have a one eyed cur pup that is like a bucking bull but behaves on a lead but has trouble on the one side cause he can't see me on that side. Only one so far I can't break is my oldest bluetick. He is broke till you drop your stick then it's a tractor pull, lol but I got him old and with no manners so I don't worry much.
Pick up a dog and throw him down lmao If hunting dogs made me that mad I'd give it up.
Oh just rembered I used a big red whiffle ball bat with bb's inside it just hold and shake it in front them. I haul livestock and use that to unload hogs, if it works on a pig I'm sure a dog would dodge it the same way

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire