CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:10 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:07 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I have a nine month old male Bluetick that was doing pretty good. I've never hunted him with another dog. He's treed a half a dozen coon. He goes out plenty far enough for me. Lately (last two weeks) he's running everything BUT coon. When he started chasing deer, I got right after him with the e collar. He's by no means completely broke off deer, but whatever he ran tonight didn't act like a whitetail to me. I started tonight by finding a deer, leading my dog to where it was, and then I nicked him with the e collar to reinforce some previous training. My dog showed zero interest in running that deer. I then took Him down the road a ways and turned him out along a creek. Within 1 minute he struck a track and ran it in a straight line for a little over a mile before I got around in front of him with the truck. All this took a total of 15 minutes. I could tell the way he ran and barked that he wasn't chasing a coon. I always heard deer would run big circles. Have you all had them run straight away like this? How can I tell what he's chasing?

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:41 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

maybe a coyote

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:46 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

A deer sometimes will run a straight line if ran hard enough but should be a whole lot quicker than15 minutes could have been a Fox or bobcat

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:59 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Bucks are just starting to rut .Some dogs will run a buck this time of year.Just because they smell a lot stronger..But it could be a doe also...LOL...Most deer around here will run away from you. Not always in a strait line but close to it trying to loose a dog...If a dog is chasing something in circles it usually a fox..A fox will sometimes even bark as they circle......((A lot)) of guys down south will even start a dog on deer. Just because they think all dogs will run a deer anyway.They just break them as they start treeing coon....Some dogs are never 100% BROKE OFF DEER...Keep the e-collar on him and do your best trying to break him ..Just be carefull dont shock the dog for every little thing you think hes doing wrong....Ive seen a lot of good young dogs ruined that way..By button happy guys...LOL..

Nite Ch Nite Time Cheat
Nite Ch Goose Creek Little Tina (1 w GN)
Ch Wild Rivers Indiana ShowQueen
Wild Rivers Machine Gun Kelly
Wild Rivers Stylish Showgirl (Tide X Queen)
English
Gr Ch Nite Ch 'pr' Twin CK Lady
Wild Rivers Main Street Hooker
Black n Tan
Nite Ch 'pr' Black River Boy (3 w to Grand)
Ch Wild Rivers Whole Lotta Rosie
Wild Rivers Black Pearl

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:01 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Chet I love to hear a great deer race especially from a chop mouth hound. Makes that bucks hair slick back for the ladies lol

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:59 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

my dog is doing the same thing, she might do one circle then go all out in a straight line anywhere from 700 yards to .7 of a mile on the garmin and then it shows she is just sitting in one spot for a while, not treein just not moving at all like she is at a den or something but i can never get there in time before she leaves and comes back to me. No way its a coon tho she runs it way too easy.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:50 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

dannelboy, wonder if she's facing off with a coyote? I'd be interested if you will keep us posted on this.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:00 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Here's another scenario I would like some advice on. I'm still having problems breaking my dog from running deer. I understand there is no magic for this, but I had an idea. I put out a corn feeder about 40yds from my back porch. Deer are coming in every night. My hound lives in the house with us and I have a chain I put him out on when he scratches at the door. Do you see any problem shocking him when he smells/sees the deer feeding at the feeder and starts barking at them. He goes nuts on them, almost like when he barked at a caged coon when he was younger. It's kind of a controlled environment.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:06 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

spark his butt , sounds like the perfect breaking set up. your friends may want you to house thiers there for awhile.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:18 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Took my pup out tonight and he finally run a track, unfortunately it was a deer. He came back when I called him, but would'nt fully come to me, he went to my cousin! I got him and put him on a leash an whipped him. I don't have a shock collar. He knew he was in trouble before I got to him. Did I do the right thing, and is there something else that I should have done? I took him home didn't pet or say anything to him. Just put him in the kennel and left it at that! Any advice would be great full, thanks!

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:44 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Last edited by Nightstalker2A on Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:50 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Nightstalker2A wrote:
Took my pup out tonight and he finally run a track, unfortunately it was a deer. He came back when I called him, but would'nt fully come to me, he went to my cousin! I got him and put him on a leash an whipped him. I don't have a shock collar. He knew he was in trouble before I got to him. Did I do the right thing, and is there something else that I should have done? I took him home didn't pet or say anything to him. Just put him in the kennel and left it at that! Any advice would be great full, thanks!

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

could be just me and my thinking ,but i would not whip a dog for coming to me AFTER it ran a deer. but now if i could catch it red handed on the track it would be different..a dog has to be able to make the connection between the un wanted action and your reaction. maybe your dog did and then again maybe not. you were right with putting him up. action makes them forget and sitting idle makes them remember. but again its how I think a dogs brain works. and I could be totally wrong too..lol

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:08 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Oh, I saw the deer and he was 10 feet beside it he ran the deer straight to me. It was a 5 pointer it was about 10 yrds from me stop right in its tracks, would of ran all over me if I didn't turn on the light. Tried to catch him before they started off but, he continued to run it, with me yelling at him. If I had a shock collar I would of lit his butt up. He definitely knew what he was getting his butt torn up for, and for not directly coming to me. But I did catch him red handed, I could of spit on that buck! When I went after him, I passed 4 more deer all does! Dam'st site I've ever seen. I don't know maybe I missed up, by whipping him! This is the first time I've ever had the whip him, I try to never whip a dog. I didn't exactly know what to do, I just knew I had to do something. I think I might have over reacted! He is a very smart dog! The only thing I don't get is why he didn't come directly to me, he went tords the truck straight to my cousin!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:50 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I got a 2yr bluetick male that hasn't been hunted much. When he runs with another dog he will work that dog but sometimes barks on track. When he's by himself he will bark on trail all the time or another night he won't bark at all. When he trees he will come off tree then go to trackin again. Few mins later he will tree again n he will stay there till he see u then he will stay around for a bit but stop treeing then he will take off n start trackin again. He acts like he doesn't know wat tree to go to. Any ideas??

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:52 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Nightstalker2A wrote:
Oh, I saw the deer and he was 10 feet beside it he ran the deer straight to me. It was a 5 pointer it was about 10 yrds from me stop right in its tracks, would of ran all over me if I didn't turn on the light. Tried to catch him before they started off but, he continued to run it, with me yelling at him. If I had a shock collar I would of lit his butt up. He definitely knew what he was getting his butt torn up for, and for not directly coming to me. But I did catch him red handed, I could of spit on that buck! When I went after him, I passed 4 more deer all does! Dam'st site I've ever seen. I don't know maybe I missed up, by whipping him! This is the first time I've ever had the whip him, I try to never whip a dog. I didn't exactly know what to do, I just knew I had to do something. I think I might have over reacted! He is a very smart dog! The only thing I don't get is why he didn't come directly to me, he went tords the truck straight to my cousin!

not red handed as in "knowing for sure" he was on a deer kind of red handed. but catching hold of him while he was actually in the act of chasing it kind of red handed.. i doubt you messed up. its sounds like he is smart enough to know why he got whipped.