CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:33 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Treeing Question
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:31 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

By rule does the hound have to be standing with paws on the tree, in order to be considered treeing?

I have a young hound who won't stand against the tree like all my other dogs do, he'll sit 12-18" away from the tree, look right up the tree and bark. Would this be considered "treeing" by rule? :?:

Member of The Lancer Association

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject: Re: Treeing Question
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:44 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

yes

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:54 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Some people prefer a sit down tree dog. less chance of bouncing off another dog and accidently causing a fight. In a hunt that's considered showing treed.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:01 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Thank you for your responses. It's greatly appreciated.

Happy Holidays and Safe Hunting!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:17 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

i don't comp hunt but i believe the dog only has to be under the umbrella of the tree.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:33 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I agree. My dog has split personalities,sometimes she's a belly tight chop every breath tree dog. Than other times she runs around the tree chopping and bawling. The only good part is your never looking at empty trees. And it has cost us a few nite hunts because she seems to pick them to be the run around the tree dog. A month ago a judge minused her twice on the same tree because we were close and he said she left. I told him she didn't leave but was just running around it AND SHE WAS when we got there. Turned out it was the only coon treed on that cast but I withdrew her after that. Did I mention she was split treed 100 yards from the judges dog and his buddy's dog in that cast?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:33 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Jeff, to me your dog was more treed than one belly up on the tree. He wasn't only treeing, he was GUARDING the tree! Was he nose down like looking for a trail or was he looking up and tending the tree? I don't know much about the rules but sounds like you got some home cookin'.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:46 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I love a sit gown tree dog, less fights, bumps bruises.Been breed out of most breeds now sad I know. :(

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:22 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

TnFoxieRedTick wrote:
I love a sit gown tree dog, less fights, bumps bruises.Been breed out of most breeds now sad I know. :(

The dog I was asking about is a swamp rooster dog, I bought off a guy in VIRGINIA.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:30 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Back when I hunted in the hunts.All you had to do is tell everybody in the cast. Before the dogs where cut loose how they treed. If they stood back off the tree..It helps even if they dont do it. Just to be safe..Sometimes it can get a little ruff on a tree and a dog will back off but keep treeing....LOL

Nite Ch Nite Time Cheat
Nite Ch Goose Creek Little Tina (1 w GN)
Ch Wild Rivers Indiana ShowQueen
Wild Rivers Machine Gun Kelly
Wild Rivers Stylish Showgirl (Tide X Queen)
English
Gr Ch Nite Ch 'pr' Twin CK Lady
Wild Rivers Main Street Hooker
Black n Tan
Nite Ch 'pr' Black River Boy (3 w to Grand)
Ch Wild Rivers Whole Lotta Rosie
Wild Rivers Black Pearl

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:43 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

The judge minused her without telling me. I knew she runs around the tree quite often,so i told the judge before the hunt. After she split treed from his dog and his buddy's dog, there dogs left there tree and came to my dog. I could hear she was moving around only because we were about 100yds from her. I waited the five minutes and ask the judge "are we going to the tree?" he replied arent you going to tree your dog? I said i did 5 minutes ago and he said "she left". I told him she hadnt but was running around. I shown my light in that direction where she was barking and he shown his where "he" said she moved. It looked like a figuire eight the two lights were connected! I told him he was really splitting hairs and grudgingly re-treed her.
When we walked down the bank was so steep the judge fell and rolled down the hill,I caught him. The tree was over the bench and even steeper and my dog ran up to the edge about 20 feet yowards us jumped on a laying log looked straight at the tree and located again. Ran straight back to the tree and started choppin. He minused my dog again and plussed his and his buddy's cause the coon was there. I figuired he was just mad cause mine split there's left and the coon was there. So I with drew her from the hunt politely as I could and stayed the entire time just to make sure they didnt get an undeserved win. there dogs struck in two more time and quit the tracks.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:47 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Funny story - a good buddy of mine had a old bitch that would run track and when she got to the tree she would sit down and turn towards where she thought you were and bark her head off. Had a coon most of the time and you could hear her from over a mile

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:48 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I have some older dogs that will belley up on the tree buy themselves but if im working young dogs with them they will let the young dogs on the tree and they will set down between them or right behind them I do not mind this at all it and it doesn't seem to pull the pups off the tree.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:07 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Your dog needs to show treed. One tree. Not up a log and down to tree beside it then up the log again etc. Sit back belly up or upside down it can't be running back and forth barking. My rule of thumb is if a dog comes off tree and puts its nose back down its minus. Once you declare the dog treed then the track ended. Only thing you need to tell judge is if your dog meets you at tree. Meaning they come off tree greet you then go right back to treeing. I ask to handle mine immediately at tree. If your trying to determine how your dog rates against others then there has to be a set standard. Some people could care less how their dog looks to others and thats ok to.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

Last edited by downby07 on Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:01 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Exactly what I have against Comp hunting. Too much BS.