CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:59 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:20 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I got a yr old male dog that chops like hes treed sometimes, and when i walk into him, he's on a down tree, pile of brush, or creek bank (with no coon in sight). And yes, i'm certain there couldnt be a coon in these places. He does locate on track sometimes, which is a looooong bawl. Could it be that he cant figure the track out, and its a hot track? He's only been in the woods about 20 times. I've waited him out a few times of this, and he just keeps ending up at the exact same spot. He never gets treed when i've waited him out either. just keeps goin back and forth and endin at the same spot. It sounds like he's treed, and i hate to keep walkin all over the woods, and walkin up on him, when he isnt treed. Any advice on this is appreciated.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:32 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Sounds like he is not checking his self just go in to him and send him on keep doing this when he finally gets a reward at the end he will figure it out. Just my opinion hope this helps you and good luck with ur pup

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:16 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

you answered your own question.
he is one yr old.
he has only been 20 times.
he can't figure the track out.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
to me its sounds like colder rough tracks not hot tracks.
the easy coon are gone. the leaves are gone, they aint gonna climb unless pushed to.. hound smart coons.
its just that time of yr that a young dog with no more experiance then yours is gonna look stupid alot of the time. don't let him waller a old track to death, but give him some time and a chance to try and figure it out.thats how they learn track sense.. if he cant move it after a while, then go in and push him on.
i would be happier working your dog then one that would just grab a tree when they get confused. at least your young dog is trying hard to work it out and finish the track.. sounds like he wants to tree the coon and not just tree. he just don't have the experiance to handle a rough track or the smarter coon yet. when he goes back and moves it to the same place again he is re doing the math to try and find the right answer. once he has the track sense he will also have learned by then how to use his mouth correctly too. right now he throws confusing barks and bawls cause he is confused.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:42 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

One of the better dogs Ive owned over the years.I got when he was about 18 months old.Two other guys didnt like him so I ended up with him.He had 7 different track barks.When he ran track it sounded like 5-6 dogs were in there running together..LOL .When was about 3 1/2 he was down 2 different track barks.A long bawl on a cold track and a chop on a warm - hot track...It took 100s of hours in the woods to get him finnished out...What made me keep working him was he was a outstanding stay put treedog deluxe....Once he treeed he would not move and bark 100+ barks a min on tree.....Your dog is a little like my old dog...Its going to take a long time to get him going really good 100s of hours and a few years of hard hunting..If hes a good treedog.. I can see putting that kind of time into most dogs.((If)) they keep getting better the more you hunt them.. .One thing you cant really train a dog to do is tree.That comes natural to just about every good dog there is....If you dont want to wait that long on this dog.Id just look for a older well broke dog to hunt him with...

Nite Ch Nite Time Cheat
Nite Ch Goose Creek Little Tina (1 w GN)
Ch Wild Rivers Indiana ShowQueen
Wild Rivers Machine Gun Kelly
Wild Rivers Stylish Showgirl (Tide X Queen)
English
Gr Ch Nite Ch 'pr' Twin CK Lady
Wild Rivers Main Street Hooker
Black n Tan
Nite Ch 'pr' Black River Boy (3 w to Grand)
Ch Wild Rivers Whole Lotta Rosie
Wild Rivers Black Pearl

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:40 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Toe cutter, you got my attention. Could you guys talk a little more about how the coons change their habits now that the leaves are off and how they don't run up a tree right away when a pup starts trailing? Forgive my lack of knowledge on the subject......trying to learn all I can! Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:40 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Morris6493 wrote:
Toe cutter, you got my attention. Could you guys talk a little more about how the coons change their habits now that the leaves are off and how they don't run up a tree right away when a pup starts trailing? Forgive my lack of knowledge on the subject......trying to learn all I can! Thanks

its probly just me that thinks this way,i don't know.
coons learn from a young age with mamma coon to take refuge in the trees and pretty much hide in the leaves. mamma will often put them up a tree and then try to take a hound on to get them away from her kittens.
fox and coyotes with pups will also try and get a dog or coyotes to chase them to get them away from thier pups in the den.
by the time the leaves all drop most of the non hound wise (easy coon) have been killed. the older smarter coon that are hound wise from eluding hounds and coyotes are older and smarter because they have learned how to get away. coons aint like a house cat that just climbs to get away.a seasoned coon will try to elude a dog and lose it before it will climb. you will notice when the leaves are gone a coon can find the only tree in the woods that has leaves or big crotches to hide in. or a den. if they have the time they pick where they want to climb. with a silent track dog alot of the time you will have a large coon in a tree no bigger then your leg. it did'nt choose that tree,it had to climb. it had no idea the dog was even there untill it heard the leaves cracking behind it. silent dogs ambush coon. with an open trailing dog the coon has more time, the less experiance the dog has and the more it bogs down on tracks the more time the coon has to find where it wants to climb.
alot of the times a young hound can't move it fast enough to pressure the coon to climb. throw in a lil white frost to slow the dog a lil more and unless the coon tires of the dog dogging it they won't climb.old hound wise smart coon figure out real fast when a dog opens if that dog is on thier track or not. alot of the coon that have been dogged in woods that gets hunted alot learn from being dogged how and what to do to throw a dog off its track. i have often wondered if a coon that taps trees is smart enough to know he may be able to hang the dog up on that tree so it can go on, or if coon that taps trees is because the dog got close and the coon felt enough pressure to climb and then the dog makes a lose and the coon now has the time it can come down and go on. or it could be the coon was just dicking around and was up and down the trees like they do in acorns or when in rut the males going from den to den looking for females. i dont know if coon are that smart or not. or if they have gotten away before like that or up a cross over and down, a fence,river or what ever has saved them and they remember how they got away from the hounds before.the dumb easy coon that just climb are the first to go.not all tracks are running coon either. some of the coon treed were out dicking around and were up the tree the dog trees them on long before you ever turned the dog loose. young dogs are at even more of a disadvantage because they have not had enough experiance moving tracks to be coon wise and track wise to not be fooled by a old smart coon. but a smart experianced real deal coondawg hound should be able to tree any coon it gets after. no such thing as the coon that could not be treed. coons aint stupid i believe they can even learn where you turn your dogs loose every time you go there. if a dog can learn the sound of your truck i imagine a coon could too.

Last edited by toe cutter on Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:01 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

this make alot of sense ive wondered the same thing

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:09 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Makes sense to me. I know one thing for sure, I'm treeing in holes and dens a lot more sense all the leaves are off.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:01 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

so have i its getting alot harder now that the trees are naked

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:49 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

I have a walker pup in the lot now that is a lot like what you described !! He don't change his mouth though he more choppy on a warmer track . I liked reading this post it reminded me of the reminder I had to remind myself every time I start a pup !!! Lol !!! A fist full of patients can do a ton of good ... Good post fellas would like to know how this dog is doing now if the guy stuck with him or not I'd say he is a sharp hound around this time ... If not I'm sure someone made him into something I had to learn the samethings the hard way got rid of a many dogs at the wrong times !! You got to live and learn though ... Tc I know what you mean about the brain cells Lol burnt a few up in my youth myself

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:56 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

deadeye25 wrote:
so have i its getting alot harder now that the trees are naked
LOL it's getting harder to wonder or accept facts?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:02 am 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

toe cutter wrote:
Morris6493 wrote:

its probly just me that thinks this way,i don't know.
coons learn from a young age with mamma coon to take refuge in the trees and pretty much hide in the leaves. mamma will often put them up a tree and then try to take a hound on to get them away from her kittens.
fox and coyotes with pups will also try and get a dog or coyotes to chase them to get them away from thier pups in the den.
by the time the leaves all drop most of the non hound wise (easy coon) have been killed. the older smarter coon that are hound wise from eluding hounds and coyotes are older and smarter because they have learned how to get away. coons aint like a house cat that just climbs to get away.a seasoned coon will try to elude a dog and lose it before it will climb. you will notice when the leaves are gone a coon can find the only tree in the woods that has leaves or big crotches to hide in. or a den. if they have the time they pick where they want to climb. with a silent track dog alot of the time you will have a large coon in a tree no bigger then your leg. it did'nt choose that tree,it had to climb. it had no idea the dog was even there untill it heard the leaves cracking behind it. silent dogs ambush coon. with an open trailing dog the coon has more time, the less experiance the dog has and the more it bogs down on tracks the more time the coon has to find where it wants to climb.
alot of the times a young hound can't move it fast enough to pressure the coon to climb. throw in a lil white frost to slow the dog a lil more and unless the coon tires of the dog dogging it they won't climb.old hound wise smart coon figure out real fast when a dog opens if that dog is on thier track or not. alot of the coon that have been dogged in woods that gets hunted alot learn from being dogged how and what to do to throw a dog off its track. i have often wondered if a coon that taps trees is smart enough to know he may be able to hang the dog up on that tree so it can go on, or if coon that taps trees is because the dog got close and the coon felt enough pressure to climb and then the dog makes a lose and the coon now has the time it can come down and go on. or it could be the coon was just dicking around and was up and down the trees like they do in acorns or when in rut the males going from den to den looking for females. i dont know if coon are that smart or not. or if they have gotten away before like that or up a cross over and down, a fence,river or what ever has saved them and they remember how they got away from the hounds before.the dumb easy coon that just climb are the first to go.not all tracks are running coon either. some of the coon treed were out dicking around and were up the tree the dog trees them on long before you ever turned the dog loose. young dogs are at even more of a disadvantage because they have not had enough experiance moving tracks to be coon wise and track wise to not be fooled by a old smart coon. but a smart experianced real deal coondawg hound should be able to tree any coon it gets after. no such thing as the coon that could not be treed. coons aint stupid i believe they can even learn where you turn your dogs loose every time you go there. if a dog can learn the sound of your truck i imagine a coon could too.

I agree with all of that.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:43 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

I'm sure there is a lot of instinct built into them, and I'm sure were not there only predator, that they worry about and learn to avoid. That being said, I know of one boar coon, in my woods, that is as slick as they come. He's made me madder then a hornets nest on a few occasions. One night we entered in at the bottom of the mountain, and he must of heard us coming, because I tell you what the race was on, up the ravine and down the ridge. Through some of the thickest brush you can imagine, up the side of the steepest part of the mointian. Then over to the eastern ridge. I knew it was him again, when he started up the ridge. Sure enuff my hound hit that ridge, and the trail just stopped cold. I swear he somehow climbed a tree and jumped out a 100 yards over or so, because that trail just plainold vanished. If ole bubba boar, (that's what we nicknamed)was up there old Hayes and I would have found him. We looked and hunted and just could not pick up the trail.
We got the jump on him a few weeks later, and forced him up a tree. Let him go just out of respect. Funny though he went tricked my new pup just 3 nights ago. By running up a slough with a bunch of blowdowns and laydowns.
Sent from my Desire HD using Ohub Campfire mobile app