CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:45 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: changing hunting styles
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:09 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I have a year and two month old blue tick female she has treed her own coon but she just will not go out far enough (150 yds max) so my friend recommended i run her with another dog that is already trained. so i took her out last night and she didnt run with the dog the first time we let them loose she just stayed around but she did go the 2nd. They went off about 600 yds ( farthest she has ever went) and then she came right back to me even though the other dog was still headed out i think this is a good thing cause i really dont want a dog that will leave the county (later the dog i was running my pup with treed 1.5 miles away) but i do want her going out. my question is if i continue hunting my pup with this other dog will she pick up the dogs habits of going in a straight line until hitting a trail or will she eventually get use to going out farther and continue her own hunting style

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:52 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I read in article by wick I think, saying just take her out and sit there after you send her. said is may take awhile but eventually the dog will keep going. dont give them any attention when they come back to you. Just an idea.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:39 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

It might not be right but, I walk with my dogs especially pups. I don't run after them just mosey along behind them. Some guys just set there on the tail gate and wait for them to tree, that's just not my style. I stand around and wait for one to open then just head that direction. Plus it's good exercise!

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:28 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

thanks for the answers but nothing has really answered my question if i keep running her with this dog that runs in a straight line will she pick up that dogs hunting style of going in a straight line

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:09 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

she probly will just learn to hitch hike another dog. she will straight line with him and if you put her with something that won't hunt out then she probly won't hunt out either..
she is 14 mths old, has treed some coon alone and will hunt out 150 yrds. alone - sounds about right for a pup her age.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:02 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

mine is three years old and 200 yards is about as far as she will go alone unless she strikes a coon, but i can carry her with my buddys walker dogs and she will go for miles if she has to. i thank i showed her to many cage coons when she was a pup. she has split treed several times.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:48 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

it takes patience to get a young dog to hunt out alone the way a guy likes one to.. more patience then any other part of training one.
it is very frustrating to sit in the woods looking at your dog standing there looking at you with you knowing they CAN or COULD tree a coon if they would only go look.
but each time you turn them with other dogs to get them to go deeper you take a step backwards and make it harder towards getting them to ever go good alone.
very seldom you will find young dogs that will just punch a hole in the dark and get in there alone.
and unless someone puts in the time and work to get them there, they never will.

for sale -"hunts close alone but will go as deep as needed in company".

there is no magic trick or easy way. takes alot of alone hunting and even more patience on your part cause it don't happen over night.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:01 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

TC makes a good point , all you'll end up doing is making what we down here in bama call a " me to" dog. She'll learn to rely on another dog. Sending her with a finished dog can help but if your not careful youll do more damage than good.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:02 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Just be picky about what dog you send her with.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:51 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

yep, if you're just trying to get them to hunt out deeper.
its actually better to send them with a know nothing puppy.
the pup is no help to them but sometimes it will get the dog to go looking better just because it has another with it or thinks its with it.
i have had a few that would actually go from the truck/road and fire in there alone alot better after i used them to start a pup.
the pup was no help for them to hitch hike off of, and if done too much it will have the same effect of always having to put another dog down to get them to go.
i have done all sorts of crazy stuff to get a dog to go alone. i have taken the other dog out of the box and put it in the truck cab to trick the other dog into thinking thier buddy had already been turned into the woods.
when i was a young man i had a female that would tree coon all night if you walked her or put another dog out if only so she thought she had company. i used to take my moms poodle and put it out on the ground and the female would fire into the woods. then i just put the poodle in the cab.
whipping them to send them only caused them to go hide, not go hunt.
i have a young male dog now thats light on the hunting, last time out i walked into the woods and sat down, he went 250 yrds one way and came back. he then went 200 or so the other way. the 3rd time he came back and left he went over 1000 yrds and struck and treed. he is gradually getting so i can turn him farther and farther from the woods and he will get off in there. sooner or later he will go from the truck/road. i have seen it, done been through this with many many young dogs. i know it works, but only IF YOU got the patients to get through it.
different dogs are different dogs, even dogs off the same cross are different. i have a half brother to the young male that would dive off in there alone 600 to 800 yrds with dogs left in the dog box when he was 8 months old. but thats one out of many that i never had to work at the going alone part. and believe me ,the longer you wait to single a dog out to do it alone the harder it will be. thats why as soon as a pup will try to get after a coon i hunt them alone. another dog is only to expose them to what to hunt,not how to hunt,not how to track and not how to tree. not all but with most, if you wait till a pup will tree first or split tree or what ever you have waited too long and will have even more work cut out for you to get it to go alone.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:39 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I got 1yr old bluetick female that I've been tryin to train but kinda new at it. I have an idea wat to do but not complete wat is the best wat to train a how. She's worked a roll cage n she works it hard she damn near tears the damn thing apart. My question is wat is the best way to train hounds?

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:26 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Lots of different ways and everyones opinions and style will be different i just do a few drags with scent and a hide and make them longer and longer and expose them to nights in the woods and seems like their hunting intincts take over

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:09 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Some dogs you will just never change. I have two buddies that have been breeding fox hounds for over 30 years. They only breed for themselves so they only breed every 3-5 years and usually keep as many pups as possible. They have pretty stricked standards and if they don't have what there looking for in a Stud and Dam they look and hunt till they find it.
Out of the same litter they'll have dogs with opposite traits. You'll have pups that kick dirt in your face and are wide and ones that will not get far away. From what I've seen those pup will go a little farther when they mature but never as far or as independent as others. You can have many different personalities in a litter as you have in some children of the same family. Shoe leather can enhance it some but you basically will not change it drastically.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:17 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I agree with jef. In my opinion you can never put hunt drive in a hound. They either want to go hunting or they just go in the woods not really hunting but some you'll find they have some natural ability and will happen to tree coon or run deer or whatever. Building their confidence is one thing but holding their hand and relying on a old dog to take them hunting is useless... Again that's just my two cents worth. It's very frustrating waiting for a dog to "take off" by itself or split.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire