CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:13 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Me and three others all use these w/DC30 collars in thick northern Michigan swamps (bearhunting swamps) we only get 700-900 yards consistently with .7 mile on the high side we have all got the long range antenas and have custom roof mount antennas that reach further than the garmin long range (barely) these numbers are in the summer. during the winter/late fall you can easily double the distance. in the hardwoods with lots of medium hills I get 2.5 miles with the leaves off & 1 mile with leaves on. I have tried 6 different style antennas this is the best we can get. open flat terrain with this antenna i get 6 miles. very frustrating having to run 2 tracking systems at all times :(

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:51 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I haven't done a distance test yet, but I haven't lost signal yet just hunting. Last time out it got to 650 yards over 2 hills and down in a ditch and never lost signal. I don't live where it's flat in Iowa either. I live in the southwest where we have big rolling hills. Even though I've never lost signal, I have noticed that when you copy your tracks to map source it tells the time length of each leg. Some go up to 30 seconds. I'm not sure if that means it didn't report every 5 seconds during that time or what? Probably half the legs in a nightly track are more than 5 seconds. I'm guessing that means it didn't receive the signal but it doesn't tell you you're disconnected unless it's 40 or more seconds.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:19 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

well last night I ran the dogs and this time they both went about 800 yards both times with no problems. never lost sig yet knock on wood

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:10 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I got my new GARMIN in september,charged the collar and hung it on the front porch,jumped in my truck and went for a ride.We have alot of big rolling hills here and alot of trees. I was 13 miles and never lost reception,i was amazed.Very seldome lose reception when hunting,there is alot of thick timber around here.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:49 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I BOUGHT A REFURB ASTRO AND A NEW DC -30 ABOUT 3 MONTHS AGO. WHEN I GOT IT I WOULD LOSE SIGNAL ABOUT 250-350 YARDS. DONE ALL THE UPDATES GET ABOUT 550- 1/2 MILE RANGE NOW WITH EXTENDED ANTENNA. NO MORE THAN .56 MILES EVER IS THIS NORMAL OR SHOULD I BE SENDING IT BACK. WISH NOW I WOULD HAVE GOT A NEW ASTRO INSTEAD OF TRYING TO SAVE A BUCK. OR IS THIS NORMAL I DO HUNT IN PRETTY HILLY CONDITIONS THANKS

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:12 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

1/2 mile mile rubber ducky 1 1/4 mile metal folding ant. and a wopping 3.9 miles with mag roof ant south ga river swamp

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:18 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

mauney, I would send it back if that is all the farther you can track with the long range antenna. You should be able to track that distance with the stock antenna.

I agree you shouldn't have been cheap and just bought a new one :) .

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:22 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

since i got the garmin with the dc40 I have been testing the product alot, With the cartop in western south dakota terrain you can get close to five miles, with the stock antenna you can get about 2-3 miles, it all depends on the night, sometimes it can't track over a mile with the stock antenna. I havn't done a true line of sight test yet, all these tests were done in rolling hill terrain.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:09 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

220 with dc30, my max range is around 800 yards. Hunting in the appalachian mountains.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:24 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Same here unless I use truck mount antenna it will double the distance at minimum.. Also I very rarely loose communication with the truck mount well worth the money

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:44 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

rough tn. hills/mts. 3/4 to one mile but can allways move a little and find dogs as long as on top of ground

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:04 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

about 1.5 miles, hunting nga mtns.

(LIKITY SPLIT)(GOOBER)(BUGG)(PENNY)(WRINKLE)(LIL MIGHTY MITE) bearers of no big titles or all grand pedigrees, but a product of 5 generations of heavy red eagle and yadkin river line breeding, IF YOU SEEN ONE YOU HAVE SEEN THEM ALL !
FORMER HOME OF
GRCHGRNTCH STYLISH HARRYS ALL GRAND RPM
GRNTCH SANKER DEEP
GRNTCH MIDNIGHT BAT
GRCH GRNTCH SWIFT CREEK SWAMP
Grch GRNTCH TREE ROCKIN REX
GRNTCH YADKIN RIVER RACKETT
GRNTCH

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:07 am 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED