CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: chasing cows?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:05 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

i have a 14 month old walker out of Mojo and Kiss this.. she supposedly will run anything i just got her and am letting her warm up to me before i hunt her.. i just got her last night and am worried that shes going to run cows as i had her on the lead while i was watering and feeding our cows she barked at them and i slapped her on the butt and said no.. is there any tips on breaking her off cows? and deer possibly? i heard to hang a scent glad off a deer on some electric fence any help appreciated

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject: Re: chasing cows?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:56 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

just get u a shock collar and start out on low and bump her with it when she starts barking at the cows and if low doesn't do it keep increasing it till it does... ALSO the best way to deer break is to take her and turn her loose on a deer u can see like in a field with a shock collar on her and if she runs the deer burn her up and I mean hold it down on her but don't encourage her to run the deer and wait till she gets to where the deer was standing till u shock her so she can get a good wiff of it

STANDING REED CREEK KENNELS

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:43 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Thanks
I have a shock collar I had on her the night I got her (2 nights ago) and put it on her every time she was in the pen and burned her every time she let out a squeak... But she had a sore spot rubbed on her neck so I've had it off her
She's still squeaking in the pen but I try to go out and yell no just to stay consistent
Thanks for the help!

Post subject: Aggressive towards cows
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:51 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

my 11 month old almost 12 month old redtick was acting aggressive toqards some of the neighbors cows so i got him out and he ran over there to them and stood there for a second and ran at them grabbed one of them by the foot and then started chasing them and he was bawling and barking up a storm and them then he tried grabbing it on the back foot and i was wondering what woulda caused him to do this? its not like he hasnt seen them before

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:54 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

probally just being ignorant pup. I would put a shock collar on him and let him run after them again eat him up with it when he does. Or find sombody with a few crazy cows to run him into a fence when he chases them. It will be a problem if you don't stop it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:24 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Agreed any farmer sees a dog grabbing a cows leg its gonna earn him a bullet and rightfully so. Get a e collar and end it before it gets bad.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Ohub Campfire mobile app

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:42 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

This very issue is why they are trying to ban hunting with hounds in my county. they have already outlawed deer dogs, haven't took the coon and rabbit dogs yet though. there has been a lot of talk last year or two about it. The big shot farmers say the hounds are harrasing and injuring their livestock.

Sent from my MB860 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:06 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I start a lot of pups each year The only way to go for me is the Tri Tronics Trash Breaker. I have a 6 dog system and all young dogs wear them while hunting. that way a first time encounter dosent become a long time habite. but all dogs have to be conditioned to the collar first. It works for me.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:09 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Id suggest if your going to cut your dog lose in a field of deer to trash break do it at night not during the day