CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:03 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Squirrely
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:03 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

I'm trying out a 2 year old hound , I've had him out 3 times and he has not treed a coon yet , but let me say it could be the dryness and heat, yet he seems a little Squirrely . He just pulls up to some trees and starts blowing the top out of them . A buddy of mine said that's what he may be smelling is squirrels . Has anyone else had a problem like this and how do you correct it . The hound does seem to hunt well, I even had him out with my old coon dog and she didn't tree or run any coons neither , but yet she wouldn't honor his tree.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject: Re: Squirrely
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:12 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Ive had the same problem before with a young dog treeing on squirrels it was usually shortly after the sun went down. You could wait to turn loose later at night after their scent has left or turn loose during the day to see if she really is treeing on squirrels. If so it aint nothing a shock collar wont fix.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:17 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

I turned out last night about 11 pm he hunted pretty good for 2 hours as I was watching him he was walking up to different trees smelling them and then he locked down on one and it had nothing in it .

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:04 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I've had the same problem before as well and tried it later at night. Same thing happened to me as it did you. They are treeing flying squirrels as well. They are out all night long. Your best bet is to Try and break him off of squirrels in the day so he will hunt just coon at night.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:49 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

Ok thanks

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:48 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

No point in shocking the dog if a less severe technique will work. If the tree is slick, you might try just grumbling at him a little but not loud. The tone of your voice can be very effective. I had a bitch was treeing possums and i pulled her aside, held her face up close to mine and gave her a lecture on why I didn't like it then stared into her eyes for about five minutes without letting her turn away. Theres something about forcing a dog to look you in the eye. She never treed another possum.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:18 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

i would just take it back. the dog is probly for sale because it is tree happy. hunting trees and slick treeing because he was unknowingly trained to by someone trying to "train him to tree".
lots of people buy dogs thinking they can change it only to find it aint gonna happen.
if you don't see him tree a few coon in between the empties i would'nt even mess with him.
a whole bunch of people want a good dog so bad that when they do try one they start making excuses for it and end up buying someone elses reject. if it is the weather, then save your money till the weather is better to find a dog. if this male is already sold by then so be it, it just was'nt the dog for you.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:13 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

Last edited by Wvtreed on Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:49 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

sorry, i spoke out of place,
i was under the impression you were trying the dog to see if you wanted to buy him and the dog was suppose to already be able to tree coon.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:49 am 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:08 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

first you will have to figure out for sure if he is slick treeing or actually treeing squirrells.
i would hunt him with your female so you can use her as a measuring stick to help see just what he is doing. if she can't find a coon to get after chances are he won't.
if you have any places with crops hunt there, so you have less chance of him finding squirrells and more chance he can find a track to run insted of his having the trees to hunt.
i hope this helps you some.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:12 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

if the dog is actually treeing squirrells they aint that hard to break them. be the same as any off game they tree and can be fixed. but i would'nt even attempt to break him off squirrells if he was not doing a dandy job on coon too. i would just take him off the tree and send him on and hope the next one he would show me a coon.
if he is slick treeing, you got to figure out why he is slick treeing. dogs slick tree because 1) they have run the track backwards and are treeing where the coon came down. you aint gonna fix stupid...
or 2) they just did the math wrong and came up with the wrong answer.. tapped tree hung him up or down trees or he just flat come up with the wrong answer.
3) they can't figure the track out and can't move it so they just tree.
( the same reason some tree on a fence they can't get over or a river that can't or won't cross. they simply can't move the track farther) so they tree on the fence or just stand and tree bark where the track went into the river.
4) being young and excitable is there scent there, could there be.,anykind at all that he smells. is he treeing on a bump he sees. or he just is tree happy and just wants to tree as soon as he smells coon.

#2,3) i would do the same on each,take them off the slick tree and send them on. the more slick trees i walk to the more severe i get in sending them on. i send them from the tree and i will chase them off it and i won't let them come back to that tree.
#4) he needs some good races in the beans or corn where he has to run track. and on the slicks the same ,send him on. if he goes 100 yrds and slams another slick after you run him off a slick. you got your work cut out if you ever change him. if its a man made fault you might fix it. if its bred in you will not change it. you can't put the abilty there if he don't have the right tool to do the job. be like me trying to nail a nail into a 2 x 2 with a screw driver.
to me it sounds like something in his training has made him hunt trees, would be my first hurdle to get over to start with.
one other thing i would not be doing is hunting him if the conditions are all against him, dry,hot,no coon, unless i knew or was told that he was a dog that was consistantly treeing coon. that could be why it is taking him 2 hours to start looking stupid.he finally just gets confused and frustrated and anxious enough to say to hell with this, here look in this one dude. cause i aint really finding anything. i won't hunt one spot for 2 hrs either, i put young dogs where i think they have the best chance. if it aint here we're headed to another spot.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:11 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

I have talk to the original owner that raises him from a pup , he said he never done that with him , he said he sold the dog at a year old and when he sold him he was treeing coons by himself . He believes the person that bought him might have dogs doing that if they can't find a coon . But through out the conversation he repeatedly said he would love to have him back. So if I don't take him at least someone else is in line waiting , lol !

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:17 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

I also put a feeder out today (with a gsm camera watching it) at least I'll be able to see if or what time the coons may be stirring and see what the dog may do!but I really don't like running dogs off feeders

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:46 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

The first night out with him was with a buddies dog they ran a short track and treed when we got to the tree he was belly tight with his front paws digging in the tree he never come of the tree , we lighted the tree and never found the coon ( to many leaves ) we finally got them off the tree and cast them to another hollow 30- 45 mins they struck and ran a short track again , same thing happened to many leaves and grape vines (damn) . Afterwards we cast again and watched him hunt a little and he started the bs happy treeing , but I noticed he was not treeing as hard he would come off the tree walk around the tree and then backup on the tree and start treeing.