CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:08 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:10 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I grew up in Pennsylvania waiting for my grandpa to come home so I could see how he did that night. Basically LIVED in the woods. Had a coonhound, but went into the service. Grandpa gave her to the Amish so she'd get to hunt. Great pet. Sweet, sweet dog. Until she could catch a coon on the ground. :mrgreen: Jeckyll and Hyde. Now I live in Palm Beach county, married with 5 kids. 8, 7, 5, 3, and 11 months. The wife decided the kids should grow up with a dog. :Rubshandstogetherwithevilgrin: "You're not going to believe this, but coonhounds make awesome pets." She's OK with it. :shock:
So, I need help getting started. I can train my dog, at least for the most part. I had my dog trained to track a coon, but I had to leave before I could teach her to tree. I have no doubt I could have, but I mention it to show I never got to hunt her, so I don't have any actual experience hunting these dogs.
I have no idea where to go to get the things I will need to take the dog out, or even what I will need. When I was a kid, I remember Grandpa had dogs, a 22, a license and a carbide headlamp. I wish I would have realized how much fun I could have had with that stuff at the time...... Now I read about gps collars and all kinds light systems and 50 million other things to spend money on. I'd like to keep the expenses down where I can. Remember the part about the 5 kids? So, what will I need to buy? I can easily get a coon skin and then a live coon to train with. Those things are everywhere around here.
I know everybody is going to say, "What? S Fla? Have you lost your mind?" No, I haven't. But I may if I don't get out in the woods, soon. My oldest is about old enough to go with me and have some serious time together. The others won't be far behind. So, even though the hides down here probably aren't worth much, that isn't really the profit I'm looking to get out of this. I want my time in the woods and some good time with my kids, one on one. And I wanna hear my hound bawling treed.
Anybody have any advice for the new guy? Also, how could I find people down here who like to hunt coon? I've heard a rumor of a few who hunt Corbett state game lands, but don't have any idea how to find them.
Thanks, and sorry for the book I wrote.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:42 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Just to be clear, I don't think I can train a dog half as well as you guys who do this all the time. I just meant that I could train her well enough to make me happy. I can train a dog to be a good pet, and I can do at least the basics of getting her to track and tree. I know there's a lot more to it than that, but I'm hoping I can learn the rest by hunting with people who have gained experience and are willing to teach someone new.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:30 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

To get started your looking at about a grand over 10 mnths time. Buy everything used. Once you get money saved up you can either partial trade on nicer things or pass them down to the youngins. This is just my two cents by the way. Things you don't want to go cheap on are 1.) The dog and 2.) The light. Both can be serious money pits. I would suggest buying a well bred pup spending 200 on. Nailor bred pups tend to be self training so you can run him without help from an older dog. I would STRONGLY suggest an LED light. You can buy one that works fine for about 100 and some change. Ex. Moonshiner bootlegger light. 95 bucks. You can find a used small dog box for 150-200 if you are patient. I have even seen a lot of people strap down a pet carrier in the back of a pickup. And last but not least a tracking system. If you can afford a garmin that's great but any will do. Pick up a wildlife tracker or a quick track for fairly cheap. The best way to do all of this is go to ukc.com/coonhounds and look where hunts are being held in your area. A lot of old timers have extra gear lying around and would part with for fairly cheap on account of nagging wives. Just make an appearance and introduce yourself and go from there. Good luck and I hope this helps.
Nick

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:25 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

You don't need anything fancy!!!! I hunted for years with a big hand held flashlight an old beat up pick up a leash and a dog. I now have tracking collars a fancy light and better dogs but to be honest I don't have more fun than I did with nothing!!!!!

King Wildlife Control
647-217-6225

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:08 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Wow, I was getting scared for a minute, there. I want to get the good stuff. There's not much worse than trying to use bad tools. Good way to take a completely enjoyable activity and make it a nightmare. However..... I really don't want to drop a bunch of cash any sooner than I have to. Thanks to you two, now I know some of the things I'll need/badly want, and I have an idea of cheaper ways to get them. I also know that I don't absolutely need to have them right away.
I guess I just need to find some local hunters so I can learn the things that can't be learned in a book or a forum. How I'm going to find them, I don't know. I could only find one group online, Everglades coonhunting association or something like that, but they have no website and the phone number I found for them was disconnected.
I'm also a little worried about the alligators down here. If I go to J.W.Corbett, I know there's a good bit of water in there, and I'm sure the dog would have to swim it after a coon. Not liking that idea at all. I'll have to try to find a dryer area if I can. Maybe I can meet some farmers with coon problems.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:43 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Haha I wasn't trying to scare you. Like canadianhillbilly I hunted with a flashlight and a dog and that's it. You will have many more hood huntin stories like that! All of the hype over nice things if you will notice is from people who started with nothing. Its easier to appreciate them if you start from scratch. And it isn't necessary for all these things but there is always that one night when you lose a nice hound or you get lost. Those things may not come in handy often but when they do man its really nice. Coonhuntin has evolved in many ways like a lot of things. A good saying is "we always make fun of the guy who has a $600 dog box $40,000 truck $500 light $600 trackin system and a two dollar dog. Don't forget what its all about!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:54 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

To be honest, I'm surprised how little a good pup seems to cost. When I was looking for a Brittany, a low end pup was maybe $400 and maybe $800 for a good one. Then the prices went up and up and up. The problem is that no one breeds redbones (or any other coonhound, for that matter) anywhere near here and shipping kills the deal for me. Plus, I'd have to buy a pup sight unseen. I'd much rather pick the pup myself, and see the litter and the parents if possible. I'm not sure how I'm going to get by that.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:48 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

It is very surprising. Don't get me wrong you can have some high dollar ones though. Good luck on finding a good red dog around your area. They are getting harder and harder to find.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:02 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I live in central fl. What can I do to give ya a hand? Feel free to call. Ask for Carol. 352-326-5886 I am in Leesburg, I hunt blue dogs.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:30 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Im surprised you are having so much trouble meeting people around this area. the county fair would have been a great oppurtunity to meet dog hunters with a couple clubs that go there with their buggies etc. you should try going to any event thaty may attract hunters like airbot and swamp buggies shows, mud bogs go to corbett enough and youll make freinds. stick your head out south florida is a big dog hunting area has been for years. would ofer to take you out but im trying to save a little for a new buggie or hunt truck and a hound. jsut getting back on my feet after a tough time. good luck!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:14 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Thanks for all the replies. I hadn't gotten notification of any for a while, so don't think I was ignoring anybody. I just hadn't been here, and hadn't gotten the e-mails until I got one today.
Billy, I wish I had thought of people being at the fair with buggies and such. It never occured to me. I know my kids would have loved it. (Me, too) I'll try to google airboat and swamp buggy shows or meets. If I can find one going on a Sunday afternoon, I'm pretty sure we could make it. BTW, sorry you've had a rough time. Hopefully you'll bet by it soon.
Thanks for the offer, Carol. I may be in touch next time we go up there in the end of March.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:33 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

I'm in north Florida but will gladly help ya ... I got Probally the best dogs in the south.. call me if I can help 352-262-9157

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:44 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I know this was posted a long time ago but i live in west palm beach fl. Also my house is 2 streets from corrbit i got a red bone i run for coons every time i get the chance. I got a big mud truck i use to get out there i would be more than happy to take u out with me to get a feel for it again . Call me up my name is brent 561 358 5728

Sent from my HUAWEI-M931 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:46 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Any one who wants to come hunt in the swamp give me a holler 561 358 5728

Sent from my HUAWEI-M931 using Ohub Campfire mobile app