CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:56 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

i have a treein walker pup, my first coon dog, first time training a dog on coon. he is a little over 4 months old. iv hunted him with my ousins dog roscoe and hes begining to take a bond with him ,we hunted . them last night together and the pup still hasnt build enough confidence to leave me very far. roscoe took off about 80 yards to our right and struck and ran the track 180 yards and treed. the pup ran over to where roscoe struck and "squeekd" didnt bark but his voice is begining to change i understand that, he didnt run track at all tho which i understand that hes still young. we tooj him into the tree and he was snifin the bottom of the tree and the ground around the tree and where i assume the coon ran to the tree and i was petting up roscoe and the pup jumped up on the tree next to roscoe like he should but didnt bark, to early to tell or no? iv tried him on a drag once it took some inticing to get him to chase me and i played with him a while he got up on the tree 2 times the 2nd time i showed him the drag he had no intrest. i let rosoce tree and cage coon to show him and the pup was scared to death so i think i wont show him another cage coon till hes 8 months or so. im only 17 little experience with training and my cousins helpin me alot but advice is very much apreiated guys, thanks . adam

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:45 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

He's too young to b hunted at night. Take him for lots of walks in the woods and work on obedience for another 6 months, then try hunting him. Il bet u see a completely different dog. Don't mess up ur pup by hunting him too young and burning him before he's a year old!!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:18 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I would not hunt him for atleast a couple months, 4 months old is awful young. I would continue working him on drags, get a hide or an old towel , put coon scent on it and let him chew it and kinda wrestle around with him to get him wanting it and it will work better. Don't show him a coon for another 4-5 months, and if and when you do remember he will probably be timid about it. He is a dog and can't rationalize that the coon is in a cage and can't go anywhere, all he sees is that it is standing its ground and that intimidates alot of young dogs. He is showing interest, and that is a good thing, Good luck, keep us posted.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 3:13 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I was in the same boat you are, I also just bought my first pup a few months ago. She's about 9 months old now but when she was about 6 months wouldn't track even on a drag for nothing,at 8 months I started again and she caught right on it just takes time ur pup will catch on soon. Good luck

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 12:35 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Im sorta in the same boat with my 5 month old pup. I have a 3/4 Plott 1/4 Red Tick hound and she gets interested in the drag and smell but doesn't do very well on scenting it. She gets easily distracted, and almost never barks even though i encourage the hell out of her to do it. Not sure if i just want to much to early from her or if im doing something wrong.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 3:34 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

I do not start mine in the woods until their 1st birthday. I work on other stuff until then such as riding in the box , loading , unloading , leash training , heel etc. This has worked for me over the years with decent to very decent hounds in the end.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 6:03 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

i have a 3 1/2 month old walker pup and i found a fresh road kill coon today brought it home an did a very short drag with in across the yard(15 yards) then up the tree(low in the tree,2 feet out of reach) an let him out, took him a couple minutes to figure out to go to the tree then he smelled around the bottom and when he looked up he saw the coon looked at it for about 10 seconds and started barking. i praised him reall good and had him and my black lab treeing it for 5 minutes or so letting it down in front of them and incuraging them reall well then i let them chew on it for about 15 seconds and then took it away. my pup had no interest in a coon tail but the whole thing, got him excited.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 6:05 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

by the way im no expert im 15 yeears old and this is my first coonhound also

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 6:51 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I also wait until at least their first birthday to take them out at night. their just not machure enough and if they can't keep up they will start taking short cuts to the sound of the other dogs instead of running the track. I'll work them in the yard or in the woods in the day time with drags. I don't like putting them on more than two or three caged coons. I've had real good luck with my hounds by not rushing them into something their not ready for. Good luck!!!

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 8:49 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

can you ruin a dog with too many drags? if so how many?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:39 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Yes I do believe you can ruin them with to many drags. How many is diff. Per dog. I learned young that I messed wetn the coon down before drags. My dog learned to smoke a fresh track backwards in the woods she would run it till it got cold and relize her mistake n run it back n tree coon most the time.

I don't believe in waiting certain times in ages to put a pup in the woods. I handle my pups in work with them everyday I. Take them whenever I feel they have the want to. I have 2 4month old pups now. They have seen 2 c allage coons in tore it up. That's it there done with cage coons. I show them a coon just to peak there interest. All coondogs should have the natural want for coons. I will prob drag a track but I will be taking them to woods in the next 3 weeks at night. I have already once in they played out to 200yds. I do not take young pups to older dogs trees. I do not like covering dogs in I don't want them to have idea its what I want.

All my dogs are running and treeing coons alone by yr old. Once they tree 5 or so coons with company they are hunted alone for months. Usally at about 8 9months there singled out in past year old before I start with other dogs again. Typically 75coons under there belt.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:57 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Slow down! Way down. Spend lots of time walking the woods in day time and a little obedience training. Get the wick book.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:07 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I just bought a 2yrnew black and tan.. tracks great does well with other dogs but she never sticks a tree... doesn bark in the tree an often meets me off the tree... I've mocked a few put on her.. any tips guys...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:33 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

BLACK-JIP-JUNKIE wrote:
I just bought a 2yrnew black and tan.. tracks great does well with other dogs but she never sticks a tree... doesn bark in the tree an often meets me off the tree... I've mocked a few put on her.. any tips guys...

coonhounds are born with the instinct to tree bark for what ever they want bad enough..the most accurate dogs are the ones that start treeing on thier own because they want the coon and not because someone "trained" them to tree.. the more you make her want the coon the more she will show you in her going to look for them,trying to track them and tree barking. when you knock a coon out,do not let her have it. no matter how much she shows you she wants to get ahold of it. they are born with the instincts to do the job. the only thing a released coon or hunting with another dog does is expose the pup to coon untill it wants them bad enough to use those instincts to track and tree them. what you described is just normal phases of starting a dog. letting her fight and maul a coon will not make her want them as bad as not letting her have a coon you roll out.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:55 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Thanks ill def give it a try.. im taking her by herself for my first time tomorrow so im excited to see what happens