CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: How long should it take
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:48 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

A few weeks ago I bought a hound that is now 4 years old. She hasn't been hunted much at all the past two years due to illness of the previous owner. Before I get all the negative response I do know the previous owner and saw her hunt when she was younger and she was a good one. 1st and 1st type dog.

Now I've had her out four or five times and she is a slick treein machine. She's still the 1st and 1st type of dog yet is coming up slick instead of under the meat.

My question is how long should it take her to get back into it? And is there anything I can do besides letting her get back into shape and hunt to jump start her progress?

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:08 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I would say put her of the tree and tell. Her move on. Then when she actually put one in the tree love her up good. Also if she ain't been hunted she might be getting excited so give her time

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:17 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Did you pay alot??? It takes on average 30 nights of hunting to know what kind of dog you have to work with...Ive known many dogs that have not been hunted for many years. That when hunted looked pretty good even being out of shape.....Slick treeing can come from breeding or how they were trained.Many of the night hunt bred dogs today slick tree alot..The best thing to do with a slick treed dog is walk them off the tree and re-cast them.They should pick the track back up and have the coon on the next tree......But some dogs are just slick treeing fools and nothing can be done for them..I have known dogs that guys gave up on because they slick treed.Then the next owner worked with them and they turned out to make good dogs..

Nite Ch Nite Time Cheat
Nite Ch Goose Creek Little Tina (1 w GN)
Ch Wild Rivers Indiana ShowQueen
Wild Rivers Machine Gun Kelly
Wild Rivers Stylish Showgirl (Tide X Queen)
English
Gr Ch Nite Ch 'pr' Twin CK Lady
Wild Rivers Main Street Hooker
Black n Tan
Nite Ch 'pr' Black River Boy (3 w to Grand)
Ch Wild Rivers Whole Lotta Rosie
Wild Rivers Black Pearl

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:02 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Chet McCreary wrote:
Did you pay alot??? It takes on average 30 nights of hunting to know what kind of dog you have to work with...Ive known many dogs that have not been hunted for many years. That when hunted looked pretty good even being out of shape.....Slick treeing can come from breeding or how they were trained.Many of the night hunt bred dogs today slick tree alot..The best thing to do with a slick treed dog is walk them off the tree and re-cast them.They should pick the track back up and have the coon on the next tree......But some dogs are just slick treeing fools and nothing can be done for them..I have known dogs that guys gave up on because they slick treed.Then the next owner worked with them and they turned out to make good dogs..

I hunted with her go in the past when she was hunted up, and shot a fair share of coons to her. she was a pretty good hound. She lacks a cast win to be a ntch. In the few hunts she was in she either won the cast or didn't do well. I didn't pay a lot for her, it was a very fair price for what I've seen her do in the past and factoring in that she's out of shape and only been hunted a handful of times in the past few years.

I wasn't expecting to cut her loose and tree coon after coon. But a bit better than she has done. I will continue to hunt her and get her back in shape and hopefully she will remember how to tree coons and do it well

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:55 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

yep, 4 or 5 nights is a drop in the bucket. keep hunting her. if you know she was a good one a couple yrs ago, she just probably needs tgo be tuned up. 2 yrs is long time to be stood up, might take til end of summer, hunting 3-4 nights a week to get her back being accurate, good luck, have patience, lol you could be walking to alot of slicks, but i hope not

GRNITECH GRCH HARDING'S ACE
pr' HARDING'S HARDWOOD KAT
pr' HARDING'S HIGH FIVE

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:47 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

took her out tonight and let her tree and easy cage coon i was messing with a pup with. after that made two cut looses and she had two coons one at 340 yards and another at 760. quick on the ground with a lot of mouth. just like the dog i remember. so hopefully she will start coming around

Post subject: How long should it take
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:03 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Get her prepared to have an e-collar on, learn how to use it, and straighten her up. Slick treein is genetic, but can sometimes be man-made.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 2:41 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

NEVER SHOCK A DOG AT THE TREE!!! Never!!!!

NITECH KJs MAIN STREET UGLY
PR TRAILERS HIGH STAKES DEALER

Justin Earls 601 214 3196
RED BOY KENNELS

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:52 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I.got a couple of walker pups their double.sackett bred i.was.just wondering what would be a.good age to start thse pups and e best way to start them

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:40 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I am having the same problem with an old dog I just got she is 7 yr old n has not hunted in about 2 or 2.5 year when I first took her out she had 100% acuracy on the first 7 trees by herself I was impressed being layed up that long but all of the sudden all her trees r slick she is a slow tracker n seems to think it out well n be confadent when she trees so I tryed to walk her away n say try again but a lot of times she will work it back to the same tree n tree harder the second time what I'm I doing wrong do u think cause the leaves r on n they r not looking at me I am just not seeing them when she is that confadent about her tree and also a buddy told me when she slick trees warm her up a lil with a lead n send her out again is this a good idea haven't tried that yet she is a pretty timid dog oh and by the way she has been hunted atleast 3 nights a week for a month now

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:37 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

TUP8806; You have a good point about the trees being leafy. I'm an average coon spotter but I hunt with fellas that can pick a coon out in an instant. Sometimes it may take me a couple minutes before I can spot the coon there trying to show me. It aint always the eye sight because I can out shoot most of them and if it's a Buck in a thicket I can pick 'em out. They just have many more years of looking in tree tops than me. I 've found it's much easier to get them to look when you have two guys and one beats the tree with a rock and one stands back.
With my dog I just try to give her the benifit if I can't find it 'cause she has only ever had a couple slick trees when there bare. So I pet her a little if I cant find it on a leafy tree and I pet her up good if I do see it. Sometimes I consider the tree itself as far how big , viney , and if its big enough quite often you can't even see the top if there are a lot of trees around it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:05 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

why would you never shock a dog at the tree? you dont fry them, but you wanna give them a little bolt if need be.. im just confused on why you wouldnt shock under

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:50 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I'm not 100 % sure buut id say because u never shoch him while doing his job and that is his job too tree but I disagree id say to shock on tree to trash break might be ok jmo I don't know muck though

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:46 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

if my dog trees a slick or a possum or something like that i will shock them.. now if there is a coon or squirrel in the tree there is no reason

Post subject: Re: Shocking on tree!
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:31 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Im no professional at all but ive shocked and have seen several dogs shocked on tree before. The reasons for giving them a bump have been for face barking, chewing the tree down, slick treeing, and of course for trash. What i consider trash is anything other than coon which is all i want my dogs to tree. Ive been told by old timers who have told me many times that you break a dog to be what you want so they will be a pleasure to hunt, and if they are natural treedogs then it wont ruin them just maybe slow them down a lil for a while. If it does ruin them then chances are they werent worth a damn to start with. Ive found it to be true for me but different methods for different people but id much rather hunt a dog that is a pleasure to turn loose than a dog thats gonna have me irritated before i get back to the truck. JMO