CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post subject: Re: DC30 VS DC40
PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:52 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I've been looking for a deal too best i've found is $199.95 through FnT. Still tryen to find a better deal. How bought you LNewman what's the best deal you found?

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:36 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Just got my new 320 bundle Thursday came down with the flu and started feeling better today. I got it out and was testing it got 1.91 miles away before I lost signal, I thought that was very impressive because with a stock 220 and dc 30 I could only get about 5-600yrds before loseing signal. Well tonight I get saddled up to hunt got my collar to connect and went to get my dog. On the way out to the kennel I lost signal got back to the truck and the collar was shut off went to turn it back on and nothing. The collar was fully charged brand new never used and just quit.... junk! Luckly I have buddies with 30's so I just barrowed one. Real glad I found a guy and ordered a new 30 today. I have used the 30's for 3-4 years now and never had any problems with them. Don't get me wrong I had a 40 and liked it a lot but the guy I sold it to with my 220 called and had the same thing happen to him. They would be nice collars if the would just work! I hope tomorrow when I call garmin I can get my junk 40 referbished into a DC 30 :lol:. Really regrete selling my 30's when I had them and def sold them to cheap for what there going for. I do like my 320 a lot better than the 220's well worth switching from the 220. Have had really good luck with garmins until this DC 40 collar not happy with it at all.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:43 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

The cheapest I have found the DC 40 for is 170.00 shipped. But from my experience with my 40 if at all possible you can find a 30 id buy one until they get the bugs worked out of the 40's so your not left sittin on the couch for a week or 2 waiting on your new 40 to be shipped back to garmin for them to ship you another one back.
CLMuxlow wrote:
I've been looking for a deal too best i've found is $199.95 through FnT. Still tryen to find a better deal. How bought you LNewman what's the best deal you found?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:32 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

this is a video on youtube about the dc 40's having the problem of not turning on. click on it.
http://youtu.be/r4-qFtJeum0
pretty much any question you will think of about anything, you can find info videos on youtube about it. just type your ? in youtubes search box.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:34 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

[quote="LNewman"]The cheapest I have found the DC 40 for is 170.00 shipped.
[quote="CLMuxlow"]

What site is that??

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:11 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Just thought I would chime in as well. I have two DC 30's and 1 DC 40. I consider my 30's the "reliable" ones. If I am going to have an issue, it is going to be with the 40. I recently updated my astro 220 and that seemed to help.

Also, I have a question about the long range antennas....I currently do not have one, but one of the guys I hunt with does, and sometimes he can get better reception with the collars, but sometimes I can do better than him with just my regular antenna. Any thoughts?

Thank You!

P.S. Just started reading "Walk with Wick" Worth every penny in my opinion.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:49 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

the collar and the handheld link up with a satelite, but they communicate with each other with radio signals just like a beep beep job. so line of sight ,hills and terrain do make them have differant ranges from time to time. its not the range but less dropping the signals is what i have noticed the most with the longer antennas.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:47 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I have two dc 40s and love them all my buddies I hunt with have 30s and mine pick up as good and sometimes better also have a dc 20 and it works really good but I have heard alot of bad on the 40s

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:13 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Well bought me a used dc3o and happy I did just too many things going on with the 40. maybe next collar will be a 40 if the bugs are gone

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:12 pm 
IP:
Purchased a DC40 and had the problem that tc talked about, after 4 times out it just didn't turn on. Brought it back to the store and they swapped me out for a new one. This one so far hasn't gone dead, but I lost reception on my dog frequently when we were in a flat area and he never got more than 500 yards away.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:53 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

check the id number on it and check to see if the pin number code is locked. a lower id with the shorter antenna works best for range. i tried every antenna made on a 40 ,stock,tuff skin, my own version, the best was with the stock antenna on the lower id number. the lower the id ,the lower the freqency and the shorter antenna is for lower freqs.
for some reason you lose range if you have the pin number code locked in so others cant track your collar too.
the most range i could get was 1.68 on the 40. the 30's i can get 2.20 miles to 2.70 miles. same test as the 40. without useing a roof mount. just the pull up 18 inch antenna and 18 3/4 inch antennas on the collars. on the 40 i actually dropped from 1.68 miles to 1.7 miles with the longer antenna on the collar.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:42 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Another problem that I have had is that my DC 40 sometimes does not charge worth a darn. I have to wiggle it and turn it just the right way in order for the light to turn on indicating it is charging.

I have two separate DC 30's and the charging port was chewed up pretty good by a coyote and I have absolutely no problems with those charging.

Anyone else have this issue?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:52 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

"for some reason you lose range if you have the pin number code locked in so others cant track your collar too."

Yeah I had a couple of the 40 collars brand new out of box that as soon as you put a pin code and locked the collar would completely loose the dog at 20-30 yards. Returned them right away. You can be 10 ft away from a collar that's locked and the handheld never shows full strength bars of communication between the two. Unlock it and it works fine.

One other problem I've been having is sometimes a dog's location will freeze up on the screen and just keep saying they're in the same spot when I know damn well they are in the complete opposite direction. Then I have to go to menu to stop tracking that dog turn everything off and start over. Seems to happen more and more now! All Garmin would say is update the software in handheld and collars but everything is the most current updated version. Their customer service hasn't been the most helpful for me. I've had better luck talking to the guys that I buy all my training stuff from. Garmin people have just flat out lied to me about certain issues saying they never heard of it before. The other guys told me they get it all the time and have constantly reported it back to Garmin. Not to mention one Google search will pull it all up!

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:38 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Not sure but how do ya tell if your collars are locked? I haven't locked them do they start locked or unlocked?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:58 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

CLMuxlow wrote:
Not sure but how do ya tell if your collars are locked? I haven't locked them do they start locked or unlocked?

dont know if this will help or not.
COLLAR LOCK Security. You control who can (or can't) track your dog
A new feature that has been added to the DC 40 is the option of putting a "password" protection PIN feature on your collars.

The Astro uses 50 different ID codes to differentiate between collars. This makes it pretty easy for other folks to figure out what frequency your dogs are on, and anyone can track your dogs once they figure out your frequency by simple number elimination.

While I want the folks that I am hunting with to be able to track my dogs, I really don't want just anyone to be able to locate my dogs without my permission.

The new "Collar Lock" feature allows you the option of protecting your dogs from other people. You select a 4 digit code that the hand held will require a new user to enter before it will allow them to track your GPS collar.

"Collar Lock" is a pull down selection that you can set on your collar if you want it. It is not required to use the DC 40, and it is easy to reset if you want to change it or stop using it.

Collar Lock is controlled via the Wireless USB feature on the Astro. You must be within 1 to 2 feet of the collar to set it and remove it. You can enter the PIN number at any distance from the collar that you are able to receive the signal. Once you have entered the PIN, you will not have to re-enter it.

This is an interesting feature that I really didn't see coming on the Astro and I think that folks are going to like having the option. This feature will also come in real handy for the competition / field trial markets that do not want folks to be able to track dogs while they are in contention.

Collar Locked systems will allow you to locate a lost dog after the competition is ended. The Judge can give the PIN number to the handler after the dog is finished and he can start tracking.

The "Collar Lock" feature is only available in the DC 40 collar, but users with older 220 Astro hand held can upgrade their software and get this feature by adding a DC 40 collar to their system.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next